the Rift

[OPEN] Mad World

Essetia Posts: 218
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3HH :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Romul :: Arctic Wolf :: Confusion Linds
Essetia & Romul

Didn't they say that only love will win in the end
Conversations were much like circles. No matter how many times one made the roundabout, they always ended up in much the same place. Our ideals clashed, our personalities repelled one another, and at the very best of times, we could almost tolerate each other. I was too flippant and hopeful for him to understand and he was too calculating and logical for me to understand… Yet, we chased the other’s tail in circles, looking to stop them from leaving or forgetting how we’d ended up here together. The whole of Helovia was so large and so promising that it seemed silly for Ulrik and I to waste another moment indulging the endless banter, but again I was here… chasing another hopeless dream.

Even after I’d shared all of my senseless half-thoughts and my many vapid opinions on life and family and personal development (though one could hardly call it such), I paused to gage the great stallion’s reaction. It had been many days since I’d last studied the bronze tribal markings that dipped along his shoulder or the tip of the small horn that peeked out from beneath his wild and unruly forelock. If I were to strip him of his titled in the Basin and his part in the, now obvious, invasion… who would he be? Who would Ulrik the Engineer be to me?

As I contemplated the idea, I listened quietly to the man who had once taken me captive as he told of purpose and the wrongfulness of shared emotion. Of course he didn’t believe in honoring the familial concepts that I’d been raised to value… He’d been raised differently. In fact, it was almost comical just how different we were. Ulrik had been almost frighteningly serious since the first day I’d met him in the Meadow, despite my ability to coerce a chuckle or two from him in a moment of forgetfulness. Maybe we got along because we were always forgetting who we were to each other and perhaps that’s just because we didn’t care. We were pleasantly opposites. “I don’t want to feel sadness… I want to share it so that I might be able to understand it and heal it. That’s what I was taught… I learned to be there for others and that in return, they would be there for me. It’s a fairly simple concept that someone from my past believed in. I’m not saying that it’s entirely right or that it’s entirely beneficial… but that’s what I know. He also taught me that when things get hard, yielding saves no one… especially not yourself. The guilt I would have felt for intentionally leaving them to fend for themselves while I spent my days resting, eating, and doing whatever I pleased… Well, it just sounds awful. There’s nothing else to it really… and in all honesty, I’m done talking about it,” I concluded.

I did not snap at the Engineer, but simply put the topic to rest. We could face-off for the rest of the day if we wanted, but it didn’t solve anything. Our differences of opinion were too vast to overcome. Besides, I wasn’t going back to the Falls… It was invaded. As far as I was concerned now, I belonged to no one… no group mentality to speak of. At least Ulrik would be satisfied with that.

The quiet fields all around us had stopped to stare at the spectacle we’d become and it was almost embarrassing how long we’d been at this; there were only so many times we could bump heads before we developed a bruise. Ulrik sighed, exasperated by my constant attempts to make him understand and I returned the gesture in kind. This was obviously going nowhere. Of course, he had a way of lighting a fire under my ass that burned long after his words singed the hair. Midas’ body… how many times could I get angry with him for that? Was ten acceptable? It was time that I tried to walk the high road, but boy did he make that increasingly hard. I grumbled in response to his admission and Romul followed suit, making sure that Ulrik understood just how touchy the subject yet remained.

When I turned to smirk at the wolf, I was again lulled by the lilt of the Engineer’s foreign accent. For a moment I tried to decipher its origin, but what would a girl born in Helovia know of foreigners? Perhaps that’s where the stallion had developed his sense of unfeeling or at least his analytical tendency to debauch every mystery known to… horse.

Which led me to the question of whether or not I was just another mystery that he had set his mind to solve… Surely I was less complex than the psychotic bitches in the Basin… I’d encountered some of them in my time there and they were certainly a little hotheaded. Though, I guess I was too.

Somehow, I’d managed to close the distance between us by a few feet and I did try to maintain some level of sense in doing so, but it was increasingly hard to determine exactly what I was after. Was I trying to accentuate my points, whatever they were? Or was I just… curious to see what it was like to be near him? I couldn’t image Ulrik allowing someone to test him as I did now, but I guess the answers to my questions were also written all over his face. However, shell-shock was not something I’d become familiar with over the years, even if it did look good on him, and of course he had to amplify that confusion by stating what all men thought about women. He didn’t understand me. I almost laughed and who could blame me? It was such an age-old opinion about women… Men couldn’t wrap their heads around us- and honestly, I think sometimes we couldn’t wrap our heads around ourselves.

Of course, to accompany that idea, men were also quite literal, which put them at a disadvantage. The laughter that I’d been holding in upon unsettling the great Engineer finally broke free and I couldn’t contain the almost girlish squeal that followed. “It’s nothing tangible oh-wise-one, I just want to show you that I’m not completely out of my mind,” I stated with an awkward, yet passible wink. “You said before that I don’t know you, but I’d like to… which also means that you’d get to know me.” Was that something that he wanted? Would he agree that I wasn’t utterly insane? Or would he think I’d just jumped off the crazy train and landed in his unfortunate lap.

Credits: Whit & Tamme are too fab | Image by Image

@[Ulrik] -- omg, direction in a post? Did Linds finally manage to get her thoughts together?

◄ Please tag Essetia in all replies!
◄ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
◄ Pixel @ SongsOfInfinity

Messages In This Thread
Mad World - by Essetia - 04-22-2015, 08:26 PM
RE: Mad World - by Ulrik - 04-23-2015, 10:33 PM
RE: Mad World - by Essetia - 04-24-2015, 02:23 AM
RE: Mad World - by Ulrik - 04-25-2015, 01:27 AM
RE: Mad World - by Essetia - 04-27-2015, 10:46 PM
RE: Mad World - by Ulrik - 04-28-2015, 08:46 PM
RE: Mad World - by Essetia - 05-01-2015, 12:46 AM
RE: Mad World - by Ulrik - 05-02-2015, 10:45 PM