the Rift

[OPEN] Man the defenses
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

Ophelia the Forsaken

Ophelia’s eye swept over those who gathered, recognizing more than a few and finding irritation in everything they spoke. Torleik’s pledge broke her heart in two, their shared words following this event in the cover of the Moon’s forests. Lena was a gentle comfort, her presence always soft and encouraging, but she no longer had a shoulder to lean on in this moment. Torleik’s muscular frame was in the running now, and she would have to face the accusations of bias though she truly believed he would make a powerful and excellent King. Having learned from past mistakes, lost enough to learn what caring truly was, and well-equipped for battle, the Bloodskald contained every fiber of a leader, and that fact was salt in her open wounds.

She was summarily ignored by a few, and though her pride was mildly stung, she let the words roll off. Biting at her bottom lip was the only way she kept from laughing harshly at a few, particularly those who came from the fallen Falls. A drunken idiot claimed he was fully qualified to lead, and a bitter pegasus claiming that her anger would be best given a platform to complain. Ophelia did not give a damn who Amaris’ mother was; who was she? And Cathun? What had Lace done? Who cared who his father was? When Ophelia rose to power with blood and sweat, she did not invoke her father’s name – battle proven as he was. She stood on her own, four hooves and made her name resonate free from bonds of family.

Also, let us be careful, Cathun. For Ophelia was the first to mention uniting the four herds. Oh how quickly mortal memories fade. And what system did not work? The World’s Edge had not been successfully invaded since the Qian in the times of her father and the Dragonheart. Why fix what was not broken? Two ruled, side by side. Each leader strengthened the other, like iron sharpening iron. What a fool…

And then Mauja was at least a voice for all her bitter thoughts. He was not a voice of reason, let’s be clear about that now. The manner in which his vehemence spit through the crowd was anything but reasonable, but the words themselves and the meaning behind them? Accurate. Painfully accurate. A bitter smile crossed her lips, watching his whiskered mouth run along Kahlua’s side. Not too long ago, he did the same with her, and how many other mares? Sialia, Glacia’s mother? Psyche? Though she expected this after learning the truth from Sno, the bitter ache was still there, and she looked down at her hooves to keep her sardonic, cruel smile to herself.

When would Kahlua learn that she was one of many? That his seductive words and gentle touches were not reserved just for her? Ophelia wanted to laugh in pain as she watched the Queen melt into his side, another heart in his jar like fireflies waiting to die.

He never even gave her a sideways glance.

The pale princess’ gaze fell on Torleik’s. He was obviously surprised by Mauja’s backing of him, but Ophelia was unsure if she was surprised or not. Mauja had always been, in her eyes, very intelligent. He knew that loyalty to the gods and a noble heart made good rulers. Strangers. And Mirage. The Lady had not seen the dark mare in some time, but she had always admired Mirage’s strength and cunning. To some, she was evil and to others a hero. Ophelia only saw a veil, hiding a strange and mysterious truth beneath shrew exterior, and she snorted in humor at the jab toward Mauja. Now, this should be good...

Thor made his plea – passionate, but falling on deaf ears. Ophelia was unmoved. Had he not already had his chance to lead? Arah’s presence was surprising, and she narrowed her eyes slightly. Did the doe covet Ophelia’s title then? Insulting the very goddess whose her you will be serving was at the height of stupidity, and she shook her head slightly, narrowing her gaze. “You have an idea,” she replied quietly. “You should face every battle with a plan and every position with ideals. Knowing where you stand will provide a foundation on which your subjects can lean in times of doubt. At the very least, you should know why you think you will not fail.” The words were not spoke cruelly or unkindly. Arah was worthy, though the pale princess would never trust her – not completely.

Ampere and Maren showed up along with a strange, gray mare. Ophelia snorted, shaking her head at the lack of attention being paid. Kahlua spoke in her stead, and for that she was grateful. She was finding it increasingly more difficult not to release the stabbing irony she felt into acidic, hateful words. Strange, dual colored eyes glanced around at her group of individuals, wanting to practically roll her eyes. Excellent, she thought sarcastically. The failed members of the Falls, the idiot who leaned on his father’s half-forgotten name, and her own general were in her group. Who knew where Mauja, Thor, Arah or Mirage would end up – if they were trying at all to compete for this title.

“Follow me,” she said quietly, turning swiftly on a cloven hoof toward the forest’s south-eastern border. Remnants of the glass wall still shone in some places, and she paused to look up at her group, strange, dual colored eyes heavily guarded and expression apathetic, neutral. “I have heard your opinions and do not need to hear more,” she said firmly. “My mission is to assess your ability to protect and defend your herd.” Well, that leaves two out of the equation… “Battle requires strategy, forethought and anticipation of your enemy’s movements. Peace is a tenuous notion and ‘alliance’ is just a word. You cannot lean on them and cry ‘unfair’ when you lose from being ill prepared.”

Ophelia stood firmly in place, her words holding little to no emotion behind them whatsoever. She was here as a courtesy to Kahlua – who did not seem to need her at all not that she had her precious Mauja to meld herself into before a pack of hungry wolves. Kahlua did not defend the Basin’s honor nor call off the hateful glares that rested on Ophelia’s hide when she was merely an ally in a war constructed by Archibald, Kahlua and Kaj.

“I will play the invader. It is up to you to stop me from reaching that gnarled tree – there,” she said, nodding her mousy muzzle in the direction of a massive, red-wreathed oak. “Tell me what glass or Edge related fortifications you will have in place and I will act accordingly as we do not have time nor resources for you to do so in reality.” Ophelia stepped back then, waiting for them to think and tell her their defenses. Then, she used her rank magic to turn invisible.

Beneath a shield of nothingness and empty air, she pressed forward, intent on getting to the tree.

[[
Battle lead fun!
Please PM "OPHELIA" your ideas so there is no copying off of one another and so on and so forth. Reply to this thread within 5 days like before in order to be considered. You can sort of 'gloss' over the details of what you PM to me.

Remember that you can use all Edge-related people/ranks. So glass makers, warriors, seer, etc, etc.

I will then respond with Ophelia showing strengths/weaknesses of each plan, and she will give her recommendation to Kahlua.

@[Torleik]
@[Rostislav]
@[Elsa]
@[Cathun]

Please remember this is an either/or thing and not both. If you are going with Kahlua, you CANNOT be in Ophelia's group and vice versa.

put a quote here
Image Credits

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Messages In This Thread
Man the defenses - by Ophelia - 04-26-2015, 01:06 AM
RE: Man the defenses - by Torleik - 04-26-2015, 07:14 PM
RE: Man the defenses - by Ampere - 04-26-2015, 08:39 PM
RE: Man the defenses - by Cathun - 04-27-2015, 10:07 AM
RE: Man the defenses - by Elsa - 04-27-2015, 10:42 AM
RE: Man the defenses - by Rostislav - 04-30-2015, 12:21 AM