the Rift

[OPEN] Man the defenses

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Torleik the Bloodskald

He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious.

Torleik followed Ophelia, his mind, too, wondering at the wisdom of having her assess his ability. Any who knew of their rocky intimacy would cry foul, cry favoritism, cry bias. The Bloodskald knew better. The Forsaken would not favor him if she found him to be lacking in the qualities necessary for a leader.

She might let him down gently out of kindness, but she would not put others at risk just for want of pleasing him.

She commanded them to plan, to make a strategy to prevent her from reaching the massive, gnarly red oak, and the general could not deny a slight thrill of arousal at her demeanor. He loved it when she took command, when she put on that armor, that mask of a leader and got that edge. With a grunt, he focused his mind. Now was not the time for that sort of thinking. Now he had to prove himself. Lust could come later. Lust was not worth losing anything in this world. So, he set himself to thinking and observing. The oak was gigantic, towering over the others even though it was in a small little dip, a miniature valley of sorts.

Commendable, that the tree knew it had to grow taller due to lacking even ground upon which to expand with the others. Considering his abilities, the Edge herd abilities, and Irelyn as his companion, the Bloodskald formulated a plan. Approaching the Lady of the Basin, he nodded towards the tree.

[[[[[[[[Torleik followed Ophelia, his mind, too, wondering at the wisdom of having her assess his ability. Any who knew of their rocky intimacy would cry foul, cry favoritism, cry bias. The Bloodskald knew better. The Forsaken would not favor him if she found him to be lacking in the qualities necessary for a leader.

She might let him down gently out of kindness, but she would not put others at risk just for want of pleasing him.

She commanded them to plan, to make a strategy to prevent her from reaching the massive, gnarly red oak, and the general could not deny a slight thrill of arousal at her demeanor. He loved it when she took command, when she put on that armor, that mask of a leader and got that edge. With a grunt, he focused his mind. Now was not the time for that sort of thinking. Now he had to prove himself. Lust could come later. Lust was not worth losing anything in this world. So, he set himself to thinking and observing. The oak was gigantic, towering over the others even though it was in a small little dip, a miniature valley of sorts.

Commendable, that the tree knew it had to grow taller due to lacking even ground upon which to expand with the others. Considering his abilities, the Edge herd abilities, and Irelyn as his companion, the Bloodskald formulated a plan. Approaching the Lady of the Basin, he nodded towards the tree. "The tree is in a small valley. If I had the time, and knew this area was a desired target, I would utilize the Edge's ability to craft glass traps and defenses in more than one way. My people are fond of wooden pikes. They are easy to craft, easy to supply, easy to lash together. But here, I would use glass pikes, thick ones, made to hold and not shatter when hit. I would set those up in a medium perimeter."

He paused, considering further fortifications. "The size being slightly larger is necessary, because within that perimeter, if it be breached, I would set up hidden traps. Many relax once past what they perceive to be main defenses. If there was an approach from the north, I would have a shallow pit dug and lined with glass spikes. It needn't be deep because such wounds would be crippling. From the east, I would have a what I have always deemed a 'bear claw' of glass. Hefty branches, lashed together, tipped with glass spikes, hidden in the ground with leaves, bent back and held fast by greenstick branches or rope by myself if necessary, like a large, equine sized mouse trap."

Shifting, he nodded to another direction. "From the west, I would employ a spiked glass sphere, strung up in the tree and released by pressure on the ground down below. Last, from the south, I would place myself or a trusted soldier in the way, ensconced in armor. However, placed in front of myself or this soldier, I would have another section of smaller glass pikes, lashed together, hidden under leaves and dirt, that can be raised suddenly by a simple tug of rope in the case of more than one attacker. That would be in a small perimeter. Of course there must be a way in and out for myself or my guard - I would consider that the weakness of such traps. There simply must be a way out unless, for some reason, this location was so vastly important that my or anyone else's life should be forfeit in defense of it."

The Bloodskald took a breath, pausing once more, giving a small smirk. "Perhaps this is overkill, but I am rather fond of traps. Always have been, since my father, in one of his parental moments, taught me to trap in the forest. And considering this is a forest, I would also utilize Irelyn, hidden in the trees and utterly silent as she can be. Even the smallest or most invisible prey can be located by sound: and I would leave that to her. Day or night, visible or magically cloaked, I have faith in her ability to locate her target. And I would be prepared, had I any hint of a potential invasion. The World's Edge has one like the Basin Haruspex, yes? I would consult the Seer often, as a manner of preventative defense, and to try to gain the upper hand should a threat come against the herdland." Torleik snorted. "And, since I am going for the overkill here, should I feel it necessary, I would utilize my storm magic and pelt the area for...a good twenty meters or so with hail or icy sleet to try to deter the invader or invaders."

The general shrugged with a somewhat amused smile on his scarred face. "This is, of course, not to mention I would have a small band of soldiers on constant patrol - but not the whole of our forces, on the off chance this is merely a diversion." Taking a small step back, he rolled his muscular shoulders in a shrug. "That is, perhaps, overkill. But if I felt this location could not be breached for whatever reason, I would do my utmost to ensure no one succeeded. And I hope this has shown that I am aware I have various options, all of which should be explored. If my soldiers had particular talents, I would utilize those too - but that would come after learning my new herd."]]]]]]]]

His extensive strategy conveyed to his judge and jury all rolled into one fine, sound-minded mare, the Bloodskald concluded his tactical speech and fell silent. Time would tell if his ideas were good enough. If they were not, the disappointment would be great, of course, but he would accept that someone else outsmarted him. That person would deserve the position more than he, if so.

"talk talk talk"

Art by araxel @ DA
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Messages In This Thread
Man the defenses - by Ophelia - 04-26-2015, 01:06 AM
RE: Man the defenses - by Torleik - 04-26-2015, 07:14 PM
RE: Man the defenses - by Ampere - 04-26-2015, 08:39 PM
RE: Man the defenses - by Cathun - 04-27-2015, 10:07 AM
RE: Man the defenses - by Elsa - 04-27-2015, 10:42 AM