the Rift

[OPEN] Keep Yourself Warm

Essetia Posts: 218
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3HH :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Romul :: Arctic Wolf :: Confusion Linds
The water is cool against my skin, so much so that it smarts and prickles as the gentle waves reach up to submerge me, pull me into their light. But I don’t care. I only want the world to be washed away with the dirt and pain of the past. For a moment I am so blinded by my need to forget that I slowly dip my face toward the water’s surface, wondering whether or not I can drown myself in the days to come. Everything else around me falls from my shoulders like a blanket being shed before the heat of day and, oh, how I wish I could reject it all.

I listen to Romul as he grunts and snaps at the water, sometimes crooning to the retriever in hopes that she will rejoin him. Yet I cannot find it within myself to look at anything in particular, lost as I am to the tranquility I’ve discovered in the cavern with those who have no names. But names would only ruin what we’ve created; they would shatter the fantasy we’ve drawn onto the rocks with our secrets and I’m not quite ready to admit my tragedies. I only want to relive my childhood, here and now.

When at last the waterfall and its spray become a part of the essence that nurtures not only my body, but my mind, I turn without guilt or fear toward the stallion and his scars. He appears so far away as he studies the lapping of the current and I am somehow amazed by it. I want to go there, I tell myself silently. But where did he go when his mind was set to wander? Would I ever have the courage to ask?

Instead, I press further into the pool, surpassing even the brute and his companion. In a way I seek to hide the longing that plagues my heart and the questions that dry my tongue. I have never seen anything like him, never encountered such an enigma. I feel as though I am trying to touch something intangible and give it breath where it can no longer subsist. But it does not keep me from wondering whether he would feel should I run my muzzle along his back. Or would he simply dissipate and shatter, a black shadow incapable of traversing the light that drove men from madness?

Perhaps I am the only one touched by hysteria’s sorrow this day, as mindless and distracted as I’ve become. Yet, I cannot mistake his interest when two eyes made of the summer sky turn my ghosts into sunlight. But I’m afraid to fool myself and believe in a lie that I’ve told myself time after time. He’ll leave just like all the rest, I whisper internally. What would it matter? Romul interjects, pausing to study me mid-romp. Ess, you’re never alone, he whimpers. But I am. I’ve always been this way.

The wolf’s protests are voiced openly and the timbre of his cries becomes a quiet wolf-song that carries over the waters and makes me smile. How many times had this symphony soothed the aching that slowly turned to my heart to stone? Like a disease, my disappointments sculpted a beautiful disaster from within. They were the mason and I the rock from which they forged a wall. Soon the wall would become too tall to mount. Soon, I thought, I will never get out.

"She has been with me too, since I was young."

I am torn from my self-pity like a child from the womb and I can see again the stallion’s distorted reflection in the water. It ripples and dances like a dream that I can never have and when I have watched it for too long, I turn my eyes back toward the retriever. However, the creature I find is not the one I remember. She is changed slightly, somehow unrecognizable from before, and I cannot tell if it is my own perception that has replaced her or if there was something truly different in the way she appeared. “Would you really call her a friend? It seems like a term unsuited for what they really are… They are so much more,” I reply wistfully while regarding Romul with an adoring smile. When I finally gather the nerve enough to recover from my daydreaming, I find that the retriever has bent toward the water seeking to acquaint herself with my scent. Slowly, I approach the pair with my neck arched low enough to catch an errant wave or two.

When I am close enough to inhale the scent of both companion and master, I breathe in deeply, nostrils flaring and trying to place such a fragrant mixture of earth and dust into a memory that has seen so little. As if content with the exchange, I lift my head as cautiously as I’d arrived. I am suddenly struck by our proximity but am comfortable with our closeness, even without Romul at my side. “I am careful enough to allow him what I have… even if I am left bare,” I answer in response to the stallion’s advice while looking again at the wolf, lost in his oblivion. “We are by no means unbreakable if the past has served any indication. I merely find it unjust to rob him of what little illusion is left.

I listen as the brute regales me with his wisdom and I am saddened to admit that what he says is true. I have made Romul the protective guardian of my soul and in return have fed him only weakness. However, I cannot force myself to confess to this and simply nod in agreement. I feel heavy with so many memories in which I have left the wolf to fumble and carry the slack from my inabilities. Have I ever been strong? I ask him internally. For a time there is no reply, but when it comes, I feel only worse for wondering. Always Essetia… you are always strong for me. I love him for his forgiveness and his strength to overlook what I cannot. I wish I was able to forgive like him.

"Your eyes,"

"-it is as if he was borne from them."

Again I am caught off guard by the stallion’s words, as if I have forgotten his company. I know that what he says is meant to comfort me or compliment… but it devastates me. I am so gone from who I once was that no amount of pretending will ever award me my childhood again or the love lost… “He is the only reminder that I was ever someone else.
essetia & romul

@[Knox]

◄ Please tag Essetia in all replies!
◄ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
◄ Pixel @ SongsOfInfinity

Messages In This Thread
Keep Yourself Warm - by Essetia - 05-20-2015, 11:26 PM
RE: Keep Yourself Warm - by Knox - 05-21-2015, 02:41 AM
RE: Keep Yourself Warm - by Essetia - 05-22-2015, 12:52 AM
RE: Keep Yourself Warm - by Knox - 05-23-2015, 08:21 AM
RE: Keep Yourself Warm - by Essetia - 05-31-2015, 04:13 PM
RE: Keep Yourself Warm - by Knox - 06-03-2015, 10:49 PM