yet in strength I am
losing myself to the cold

How did you carry me,
so far, so long?
How will I carry you,
back to the throng?

ASHAMIN
BEAUTY IS PERCEPTION

Ashamin would have had something to say had he known that this little filly was about to hurt herself to heal him. But the connection between the gold in the water and the cut on her leg had not yet been made, and so he merely laid himself upon the earth, prostrate and expectant. Let her heal him, if she could. Let her fix what was broken, and knit together the tears in his flesh and heart.

Her cooing assurance had been a comfort as the young buck had forced himself up, and he was a bit glum he couldn't offer the same through his soft fits of moans. The filly knelt upon him, her leg crossing over the wound and causing him to jerk his head up with the pain. He almost yelled, almost kicked her away, but remembered at the last second why she was there, pressing upon that wound.

She was going to fix him.

He shut his eyes to keep out the pain, opening them only to look with tenderness upon the egg. "For you, little one," he whispered through and against its shell with kindness, "I will be fixed, so I can care for you."

It was odd how strong he felt, as the gold washed over him. It was hot on his numbed skin, but the sensation felt more like a tickling warmth. He cast his gaze back only for a moment, catching the last second before the filly pulled her teeth from her fetlock.

When she parted from his side, he felt the strength renewed in his body but lost in his heart. Had this filly really hurt herself to heal him? He shifted away from her, dragging himself across the petey earth for only a moment before lifting himself on shaky legs.

It was a fearful stance, one of a buck unsure of how long he would stay upright, but Ashamin was standing. His hind leg shook and the hindquarter where his wound had been twitched as the rest of the gold blood (for what else could it have been?) trickled down his body.

"Thank you, little one," Ashamin said with a soft smile and at last, an extension of his own features. Though he shivered and his motions were more uneven and jerky than usual, his customary greeting could at last be proffered. "By faith, you are a miracle."

And he said those words with a sad look to her injured fetlock, a cinched brow beneath his forelock and twisted horn. Was it his fault, or her sacrifice? He knew only that he would be forever in her debt, young as she was, long as her life was surely to be.

Ashamin cast careful glances at the kitsune and spider who accompanied her, and, thinking more clearly now, all the adornments she wore. So many trinkets, for one so young. The sight of companions turned him to his own. Gently, he bent to nudge the little orb with his nose; his leg shivered and shook, threatening to not support him, even still. He had not yet looked at the scars--that would be for another day.

His long tail lifted and the amulet upon it was draped carefully across his back. Perhaps, the child would accept it as a gift. Ashamin, too, knew nothing of its power, but he knew, too, that he needed it naught.

But he needed a moment, first. A moment to think, to gather himself. He had been so long away from home, and the little egg had gone too long un-nestled and stuck in this meadow. He needed to go home, and he had to take the egg on that journey. But how?

"Little 'panion," he murmured, perhaps loud enough for the other to hear, "will you really not hatch?"

The egg did not stir, and his problem lay unsolved. He cast his deep eyes back up at the mare, extending his tail towards her in yearning. He would not ask now, when he had asked so much of her already. It was as if being healed had brought to him again his shyness--only pain had brought out the confidence.

But still, he thought. And if one were to look, perhaps the question would be there in his eyes. How will I carry him home?

[[@[Zahra]]]
Beauty is Perception by FoxyFireWings
Table by Jen, with help from Avis

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Messages In This Thread
Bury Me in these Waters - by Ashamin - 05-31-2015, 02:15 AM
RE: Bury Me in these Waters - by Zahra - 06-10-2015, 01:12 AM
RE: Bury Me in these Waters - by Ashamin - 06-10-2015, 09:48 AM
RE: Bury Me in these Waters - by Zahra - 06-11-2015, 01:01 AM
RE: Bury Me in these Waters - by Ashamin - 06-11-2015, 05:47 PM
RE: Bury Me in these Waters - by Zahra - 06-11-2015, 10:02 PM
RE: Bury Me in these Waters - by Ashamin - 06-11-2015, 11:10 PM
RE: Bury Me in these Waters - by Zahra - 06-12-2015, 02:28 AM
RE: Bury Me in these Waters - by Ashamin - 06-12-2015, 07:46 AM
RE: Bury Me in these Waters - by Zahra - 06-12-2015, 04:43 PM