the Rift

A Frozen Baby Bird

Freya Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Freya
We All Want Something Beautiful.

"How could this happen? It isn't like us."

Laying in a drift of snow, a tiny ball of silver tucked into the hollow at a base of a towering pine huffed quietly in sleep. Thin, lanky legs folded clumsily beneath the filly, wings clinging tightly to her sides. Cloaked in silver and grey and black and white, the tiny pegasus slept fitfully, her mind full of dreams and nightmares. Barely weaned, she seemed too small for the towering Threshold around her.

"I want it gone. It doesn't belong here. It isn't like us. And why is it so cold? I will take care of it. Quick and painless."

She was alone and scared. Sleep had finally crept upon her like a hungry wolf. She had wandered for a whole day, calling out for her mother, begging for the game to be over. It wasn't fun anymore. Her fear and frantic wandering had left exhaustion hanging from her like a thick blanket, and she couldn't bare to wander any further. So here she came, curling into the hollow of the tree where snow had collected, forming a bed only comfortable for a body with ice coursing through it's veins.

Her life, though short, was full already of a dramatic story. She was born to a herd that held no crowns upon their heads, nor wings upon their sides. She was the product of an affair, of a wandering heart that fell in love for a night with a handsome dark stranger with wings like those of a raven. A mistake. A regret. A child who did not belong, especially not to a lead stallion who wished to cleanse the herd of her mutations. But a mother's love can overcome the deepest disgust, and though her mother refused to share love with the winged babe, she still would not allow the death of an innocent soul.

"It is a curse! We have never known a hell as this frozen one. It is the gods, forsaking us for allowing it to live. It is a frozen abomination, not fit for us. We must correct the sins and remove this plague. We must kill it.

Frostfall was cruel, stripping the land of all food and shelter. The cold freeze ripped it's way through the land, claiming the lives of several of the herd. For a superstitious king, there was only one explanation. The tiny cursed filly must be culled. Remove one life for the sake of the herd. There was no question.

"I will give you one chance. I want it dead. I do not want there to be a chance of it returning it's bad luck to our doorstep. If you do not end this, I will. And I will give the gods reason to never test us like this again.

Tiny hazel eyes fluttered open, and a yawn squeaked from her tiny throat. Her eyelids fluttered several times, blinking the sleep from her eyes. She cast hazel eyes around her, heaving herself from her shelter. It came back to her slowly. Mother is gone. She said she would come back. Where did she go? I must find her. She could not process that perhaps mother was not coming back, that if someone was looking for her they would have found her. She shook herself off, stretching tiny wings long and open before folding them neatly against her sides. She returned on her way, her normally bounding strides marred by worry. She tripped over herself, not quite coordinated enough to make her way through the winding forest with any sort of grace.

"Mother!" A tiny voice, rough from yelling the day before, called out to an empty forest. Words called out to a mare who wasn't listening, who was pleased that she had done her duty to her herd. "Mother, I don't want to play anymore! I'm scared!" Abandoned, alone, vulnerable. A rejected curse that couldn't defend herself in a world that didn't care.

Speech
OOC// Feel free to tag Ktulu or Murtagh, as well! No sure if you wanted just Lakota, or the whole family.
Tagged// @[Lakota]

Messages In This Thread
A Frozen Baby Bird - by Freya - 06-28-2015, 10:14 PM
RE: A Frozen Baby Bird - by Lakota - 06-29-2015, 01:47 AM
RE: A Frozen Baby Bird - by Blu - 09-23-2015, 10:40 AM
RE: A Frozen Baby Bird - by Freya - 09-24-2015, 05:44 PM
RE: A Frozen Baby Bird - by Naerys - 10-05-2015, 12:29 PM
RE: A Frozen Baby Bird - by Lakota - 10-05-2015, 07:16 PM
RE: A Frozen Baby Bird - by Freya - 10-27-2015, 03:12 PM
RE: A Frozen Baby Bird - by Lakota - 11-07-2015, 11:15 PM