the Rift

A Frozen Baby Bird

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit

Lakota was not tall by any means, nor was she particularly physically imposing in any other way. Her spirit and talent had always been the means for her successes, but even so she approached with shoulders dropped and head lowered to the child's height, slow and cautious. Aodaun whined softly, hardly audible but resonating in Lakota's head through their bond. Reminds me of when we met, he murmured quietly, and Lakota's heart broke just a little bit more remembering that event. Aodaun had been lost, abandoned by his mother in the far reaches of the Steppe. Lakota had meant only to help him through the night of his death, for surely she could not care for him, only to wake to a soft sunrise and a newly bonded soul. It was true, the little fae looked as lost and hopeless as Aodaun had as a cub, back then. How could a mother ever abandon her child? Lakota would sooner slit her own throat than harm Murtagh in any way, and she felt violence swell up in her breast in a dizzying wave. She wanted to hunt down the bitch that had done this and torture her, let her feel the pain that Freya was feeling in her soul, let her feel helpless and lost until Lakota damn well decided to end her suffering. 

Don't. Not now. It will not help the foal. Aodaun cut in sharply lest Lakota lose herself in her rage, focusing her on the child who had just spoken. A name, and so polite for such a wee babe. "It is very nice to meet you, miss Freya," Lakota said softly with a smile, covering the hurt and anger in her heart with genuinely warm eyes. Aodaun lowered himself to the snow, rolling onto his side like a dog and gently waving his paws, trying to appear as harmless as possible once Freya's wavering voice pronounced her fear. Lakota tilted her smiling muzzle towards her companion to showcase the behavior. "He may seem scary, little one, but he is very gentle. I promise you. I raised him since he was younger than you are!" Perhaps that would lighten her mood a little. "And he most certainly wants to be your friend, he told me so." Would the foal even understand the concept of bonds? The land beyond Helovia was so diverse, she'd met so many who didn't have the first clue about magic when they wandered past the borders. Now wasn't that a shock.

Lakota's face fell into pity and heartbreak as the child railed against the truth, and Aodaun went still beside her, practically blending into the snow. "Freya, I promise you did nothing wrong. I'm a mommy too, I have a little foal just your age. And no mommy would ever, ever yell at you like that, that's not a mommy's job." What could she do? How could she make Freya understand that her mother was not returning, when she was but a fully grown stranger in a strange land? "I can certainly go have him look again. Perhaps even you and I can go and look together, but I do not want you to be alone young one. It can be dangerous out here alone, and you must be tended to." Of course, then another youth came wandering in, butting her nose in. Lakota stifled a sigh, for she was a mare, not truly a youngling. Trying to reign in the sudden motherly protectiveness inside of her, she turned to cast her eyes upon the...Naerys. Whatever she was. 

A frown slipped on her lips, and she shook her head minutely. "She's gone," she murmured almost silently, eyes and face grave. The great bear had slowly risen to its paws with the arrival of the newcomer, a silent and imposing guardian, lime eyes focused on the Edge dweller. The scent was familiar, for being Lakota's old home, and a part of her recognized Alysanne's blood in the child. Still, the bear was a protector, and he did not let the mare out of his sights. Aodaun was not wrong, he never was, he had a nose to track a seal down from miles beyond and beneath layers of ice. This was his domain, his realm of rule, and he could run rather fast. He'd searched far beyond, and around, but whatever scent that had existed was old and covered with snow. Abandoned. And Lakota knew it. Her eyes crinkled as if wanting to glare. If this mare gave the child false hope...

Turning back to Freya she smiled gently once more. "Aodaun can go look again, but...I think maybe you should come home with me. At least until we find your mother, yes?" It would never happen, but Lakota did not want to upset her any further than she already had. "My son would be very happy to meet you, and if you are not weaned I am happy to share my milk with you. I am sure, if it's a mistake, your mother would want you cared for and happy until she returned." For a moment she cast her eyes solemnly to young Naerys, glad for the calming effect of her flowers. This was not going to be an easy occasion for the child, and Lakota felt chilled to the bone with regret to have to do this. But she could not leave Freya alone to die, to wander around looking for an absent mother until one thing or another claimed her young spirit. 

Lakota
I was a hot mess in my Sunday best - Black tears in my eyes
Image Credit
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Messages In This Thread
A Frozen Baby Bird - by Freya - 06-28-2015, 10:14 PM
RE: A Frozen Baby Bird - by Lakota - 06-29-2015, 01:47 AM
RE: A Frozen Baby Bird - by Blu - 09-23-2015, 10:40 AM
RE: A Frozen Baby Bird - by Freya - 09-24-2015, 05:44 PM
RE: A Frozen Baby Bird - by Naerys - 10-05-2015, 12:29 PM
RE: A Frozen Baby Bird - by Lakota - 10-05-2015, 07:16 PM
RE: A Frozen Baby Bird - by Freya - 10-27-2015, 03:12 PM
RE: A Frozen Baby Bird - by Lakota - 11-07-2015, 11:15 PM