You have slept through
entire galaxies, new
planets, worlds, starcharts
and symphonies. But
I've been awake,
through it all,
every moment:
watching you sleep by my heart

Ashamin had been seeing quite a lot of Caleb in these old stomping grounds. If that wasn't proof enough to Thranduil, the haruspex wasn't quite sure what was. But even as Caleb's loyalty shone through the trees in the threshold, Ashamin had his doubts. He had taken close care to watch the soldier advance in reputation, and had noticed a few, well, troublesome qualities. Nothing that made him unsuitable for the Basin, but, well, some things that made him a risk.

And it was the little things, really. The way Caleb leaned in, too close, as he did now. Even Ashamin, shrouded by the shadow afforded to him by the treetops, could see the lack of distance between Caleb and the stranger. And though Ashamin was one to wear affection freely and offer his own touch, it was always an offer. And it was never a hungry one. And he always, well, backed away. But that's what it was, really: hunger. Caleb had a hunger, a need, a desire.

In time, the haruspex had come to recognize it as the powerful force known as ambition. And in some, it would grow to be a powerful root at the base of a grand oak. In others it would wither the trunk with illness, slumping it even at its greatest heights.

Ashamin couldn't see, yet, what toll the quality would have on the soldier. But he knew that in spite of it all he liked Caleb, and he wanted to give him a chance--in the basin and in all other respects--more than anything else.

Once again the spotted beast from the World's Edge had arrived here, seeking what all were seeking, Ashamin supposed. With Lochan fast asleep, nestled in the cloth at his breast, the Haruspex stepped forward through the trees upon noticing the mare's glare and just prior to her introduction. He nudged Caleb's hindquarters, the white tip of his nose widening as his nostrils flared. The exhale was an easy one, a steady assurance.

"Caleb," he said quietly, almost tenderly, to the stallion half his age. Was that what it was, then? Ashamin felt older around this hybrid?

Don't crowd, the subtle gesture and tone seemed to say.

And then he raised his mangled crown, smiling deeply towards the somewhat speckled mare, nodding politely to "Mauja," before speaking himself of the matter at hand.

"Welcome, Katerina. I am Ashamin, Haruspex of the Aurora Basin, he said by way of introduction, taking care to keep his touch to himself and his fellow, this time. The buck hadn't understood entirely what she'd meant about another planet outside of this dimension, but it was intriguing. She was just slightly smaller than him, a rare thing to find in Helovia, but with a much heavier draft build. Perhaps that was the sort of appearance of those from other planets, then. "I cannot speak to the World's Edge as Mauja might be able to, but I know that the Basin and all the herd of Helovia have certain wonders, each unique to their corner of Helovia."

He wanted to ask her a question, then. A simple one to say, and a difficult one to answer. And he burned with all manners of curiousities, held a strange desire to learn all he could about her homeland, so far elsewhere that she could not so easily understand this one's idioms.

But he held his tongue, he reminded himself: don't crowd.

Ashamin

Given All I've Been Through

image credits

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Messages In This Thread
Error: Wrong Planet - by Katerina - 08-08-2015, 09:01 PM
RE: Error: Wrong Planet - by Caleb - 08-08-2015, 10:06 PM
RE: Error: Wrong Planet - by Mauja - 08-09-2015, 05:52 AM
RE: Error: Wrong Planet - by Katerina - 08-12-2015, 12:19 AM
RE: Error: Wrong Planet - by Ashamin - 08-13-2015, 01:03 PM
RE: Error: Wrong Planet - by Caleb - 08-13-2015, 02:05 PM
RE: Error: Wrong Planet - by Mauja - 08-15-2015, 08:01 AM
RE: Error: Wrong Planet - by Katerina - 08-23-2015, 01:02 PM
RE: Error: Wrong Planet - by Mauja - 09-04-2015, 04:13 PM