[JUDGED] Man Up, Lose the Sidekick [ASHAMIN VERSUS CALEB SPAR]

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official
By my verdict: Ashamin is the winner!

CALEB
Realism [1.5]
No mention of breeds/surroundings/previous experience except for surroundings in post one. These can be very crucial components to a spar, so please use the word count to your advantage to add these things in!

Post one: ”If Ashamin turns to spin around and run, Caleb will continue his galloping approach and shove his horn into his ass cheek and give the thing another asshole.” – This statement has a few issues. Firstly, this is going beyond this post, and merges into slight powerplay, by predicting what the other character will do. Your posts should be a response to what the other character already has done, or attacking/defending in the current time. While it is not uncommon for warriors to predict what their opponent will do next, the way this is phrased does not make me think this is what Caleb is doing.

Post Two: “If he halts and stops moving, Caleb may very well end up landing on his withers, or if he moves up, Caleb may end up on his croup (that is, if he is aimed properly at all)” – You continue to use this form of powerplay. Try to just write what you want your attack to do, and let your opponent interpret that on their own with the dice roll. 

Post Three: Ashamin’s attack in this post should have done more damage to Caleb than his previous attack, for it was a 4 roll versus a 3 roll. 

Emotion [2]
You are very good at explaining Caleb's psychology, but I did not really /feel/ him in this spar. It is interesting to read, however, Caleb's posts. He starts out happy to be fighting a Basiner, and doesn't want to hurt him too much, then all of a sudden switching to wanting to kill Ashamin. You wrap this up all together as the spar goes on by explaining Caleb's youth as the reasoning for this behavior, but I still don't feel it--I just see it. 

Prose [2]
Post one: “martial arts fight” – "martial arts fights"
:: “that is in far from cautionary” – Remove “in”
:: “that it is not surprising he hasn't become stone” – “that it is surprising…”
:: “or his head is he doesn't.” – “or his head if he doesn’t”

Post Three: “Ashamin's right shoulder (Ashamin's left)” – Did you mean (Caleb’s left)?
:: “apologetic gesture than feel lied” – Then, not than.

Readability [1]
Your posts are not so easy to read. I found myself re-reading each post more than once to completely understand everything that was happening. You use a great deal of run-on sentences and sentence fragments, which when used well can improve prose and style, were really a hindrance here. Be sure to proof-read your posts before publishing them--even reading them aloud will help.

Finally tally: 38+(6.5*2)= 51 HP

ASHAMIN
Realism [3]
In your first post you do a good job of incoorporating Ashamin's previous spar experience with Torleik and Zandora. You also have good use of the breed/stat differences and the surroundings in this post. However, those things fall away as the spar goes on. I warn you to stay away from fracturing/breaking bones, because that is very dangerous to horse's survival! 

You seem to have a good understanding of the mechanics of fighting, and I look forward to watching you improve with practice.

Emotion [2]
Ashamin is very present in this spar. Ashamin’s response in paragraph one of post one is simply beautiful.  Ashamin does not want to hurt Caleb too badly, and I love that he recognizes how his attacks will fall regarding this internal drive. With this, I love how taken aback he is by Caleb's assaults, and how he calls out to him to calm down. Ashamin is a beautifully written, introspective character that keeps tugging at me to keep reading. I love his thoughts, and how they progress and change, during the spar.

Prose [3]
Post one: “sparring partner is was troublesome” – “sparring partner it was troublesome”

Readability [2.5]
Your posts are easy to follow, understand, and are enjoyable to read. You know Ashamin well, and that helps your writing flow. This is a great style of writing for this type of character.

Finally tally: 31+(10.5*2) =  52 HP

Messages In This Thread
RE: Man Up, Lose the Sidekick [ASHAMIN VERSUS CALEB SPAR] - by Official - 09-21-2015, 07:52 PM