the Rift

[PRIVATE] Family

Knox Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 7 Years [Tallsun] HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen

image by deadair @ flickr.com</style>

round all the pieces up, but they just don't fit the same.</style>

Knox stopped every so often along the way, bidding his companion to press on and scout ahead. Aylin needed to rest, he needed to think, and the last thing he had needed was to be discovered, by a brother or anyone else. Recognition was not what he was looking for.

And now, at last, they are here. He has led her into the heart of helovia, the heart of his home and history. There is nothing for him outside these fiery caves; all he needs, all he has left, is standing here beside him. Aylin. Manhattan. The emptiness of an old ghost's absence.  

He has let Aylin lean on him as they have walked, guided her with a quiet hum as he once guided his companion in a moment of blindness. Now, standing before a fall of lava and remembering his dream, he nudges her sleek neck, beckons her to the warm stone. This will keep away the cold, until Birdsong comes. Here, under the shadow of the earth, lit only by fire, they would still live in spring. They would still feel as spring.  

Here, he would confess his sins and loves.

Knox lets his round knees land gently on the stone, lets his heavy body fall. "Aylin..." he hesitates. It is difficult to explain all he has done wrong, since seeing her last. He feels as if he has killed hordes, as if he has left mountains of corpses in his wake.

But hasn't it only been two? Or no, maybe more. Maybe five.

Manhattan lies beside him then, her soft fur a comfort, the steadiness of her bond so constant that he is reassured. "...I thought I'd lost you, forever."

And it is true. He had thought she was gone. He hadn't remembered why, but he had found himself without her. He had considered it his punishment. He had thought it was a sign for him to lose all hope of recovering, to give into the evils he was raised to possess. But now she is back. She is light, she is hope, and she is here again, to save him. He will never go back.

He turns to her suddenly, curled tresses flying, blue eyes desperate and bleeding with emotion he has so long resisted feeling. Can she see him? How much can she see? And can she feel what is lost to her in the shadow of blindness?

Can she feel how much he cares?

His heart is beating in his ears, his massive dishes of hooves are sliding closer to the edge of the stone and the central fiery column as he turns to face her, looks deep to find her. "Aylin, I'm... starting to remember, that night. I'd forgotten, but... it's all coming back."

He exhales. Manhattan's steady heartbeat is a warm and welcome comfort. He has to say this, he has to tell her. He has to talk to her.

"You said I needed to think about the future—that I would have a family. No, that I could have a family."

Knox turns, looks out at the fire. He isn't a hunter, anymore. He's just scared, and he need to hear it from her.

"Do you really believe that?"

___

It is the past; it is over a year ago now, and Knox remembers. It is the night that rain poured in the old country over two friends and travellers, and the night that tore them apart.

How could she understand?

Knox is surprised to hear the voice of his ancestor in his head but he knows he should not be. He shifts, visibly and uncomfortably, where he stands. His body morphs back to its being, to Knox, but only for a flicker of a moment. He is there long enough to lock eyes with the mare who stands before him, his friend for so long, his company in such ancient and winding wanderings. She has an innocence to her that he cannot bear to shatter with truth. She knows many things about him, more than any other, but she does not know everything. She does not know all his ancestor’s crimes, and she does not know that though they are shameful to bear, he sometimes considers them with pride.

It is difficult for him to distinguish himself from others, now. He looks at her, rainsoaked but focused only on him, and wonders how she can care so much and never know when she has hurt him. Is he irrational for responding the way he does? He doesn’t think so. She says he retreats and he turns his half-dappled neck away from her, unable to face that truth.

At his feet, puddles gather. His eyes turn from a stark grey-blue to something darker and more difficult to understand. He becomes murky and scarred, cycling through all forms, unable to stop.

When he speaks, his voice changes with every shuffle of his countenance. “These are my faces, Aylin. Many, some foul and some faint, but they are all mine.”

He can’t stop to look at her, now. His gaze is fixed past her, at something beyond. His mind is a rapid change, in constant flux, but every voice fights for dominance and says the very same words, in a unified harmony.

“They are as much a part of Knox as the colt born in the Deep Woods of Helovia. They are the parts of him that make up his history,” he goes on, no longer sure who he is.

Then the grandest farce: “We can never escape our history. Always, it comprises us.”

knox</style>
& manhattan</style>

Messages In This Thread
Family - by Knox - 08-22-2015, 08:59 PM
RE: Family - by Aylin - 08-22-2015, 09:13 PM
RE: Family - by Knox - 08-22-2015, 09:14 PM
RE: Family - by Aylin - 08-22-2015, 09:19 PM
RE: Family - by Knox - 08-22-2015, 09:19 PM
RE: Family - by Aylin - 08-22-2015, 10:03 PM
RE: Family - by Knox - 08-22-2015, 10:19 PM
RE: Family - by Aylin - 08-22-2015, 10:59 PM
RE: Family - by Knox - 08-22-2015, 11:12 PM