the Rift

our solemn hour

Evaneska Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

"Ours too." A monstrous beast that ravaged the lands. The Rift was never satiated by the lives it consumed nor quenched by the blood it drank. Everywhere you looked there was chaos and ruin. Death caused the realm the reek as disease left nothing untouched. The lands cried out in malnourished desperation while the Riftians bellowed in need of life sustaining substances. Whether mentally or physically no equines went untouched by the illness of the lands. Somewhere the malicious gods were watching the suffering of the very realm they governed with glee dancing in their eyes.

A shiver ran along my spine, chilling me to the bones. Death's hands reached throughout the entirety of the lands. This mare, a beautiful princess that was a stark contrast to my ashen form, was touched by the same carnage that brought Urd crumbling down. My stomach dropped and my heart sunk at this realization. What little hope I had was beginning to flicker away. I didn't bother to try to bottle it up, to protect my faith. Instead the grim reality that this world had no reprieve to offer struck my heart.

"The pleasure is mine." The smile I offered was nothing but bleak. Such a sorry attempt that I immediately dropped it. Instinctively I dipped my head once again but this time much lower. Compared to hers it was deep in a show of submission. My social status was recognizable just by our appearances. She was a white coat while I a speck of debris who would only dirty her if I got too close.

Cora was a name befitting of such a refined elegance. It rolled off the tongue with ease. “Do you think we’re safe here?” The fright in her tone, interrupting her smooth cadence, was undeniable. I looked at her - truly looked at her. Taking our surroundings into account, I slowly shook my head. "No.. I do not believe we are safe."

I knew this was not what the mare would want to hear but I could not bring myself to lie with sugar coated words. Rose colored glasses had long since broken and left my eyes exposed to the horrors of the Rift. "As long as we are in this world governed by mad gods whom let the lands suffer and die.. we will never be safe."

I sighed. "I wish I could speak words of encouragement - words that shine through the darkness with faith - but that is not something I am capable of. I cannot lie to you, m'lady." I looked away as I could not bare to bring myself to look at the frightened mare. "As long as we are here we must be wary of what might be lurking in the shadows, constantly checking over our shoulders."

Even now as I spoke I found myself nervously glancing about as if my words might bring forth a curse that would extinguish the fire that fueled our lives. In that moment I felt the weight of my exhaustion even more than before.

@Persephone

Messages In This Thread
our solemn hour - by Evaneska - 08-22-2015, 11:38 PM
RE: our solemn hour [open] - by Persephone - 08-30-2015, 11:25 AM
RE: our solemn hour [open] - by Evaneska - 08-30-2015, 04:00 PM
RE: our solemn hour [open] - by Persephone - 09-01-2015, 07:37 PM
RE: our solemn hour [open] - by Evaneska - 09-03-2015, 04:44 AM