the Rift

[OPEN] We build too many walls (Knock, knock?)

Achaius Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Alone as he was on the beach he sat in a contented silence, the minutes passing and the subtle change in the moonlight and the star-spotted black shroud above them were companionship enough for a few hours. He had not anticipated to arrive so late and was not really surprised that there was no one to let him across. His thoughts had drifted deeper into his memory, trying to find that one, elusive piece that had been snagging on his train of thought like a loose nail. His eyes stared outward to where he assumed the island of Dragon’s Throat was – at least there was a break in the shining, diamond-reflected waves out there, an expanse of darkness that was deeper than the sky beyond it and the water below it.

After an hour or so of standing, lulled by the lapping of the water against his feet, he became dimly aware of a break in that darkness out across the waves. A piece of the darkness detached itself and, unmistakably, was heading toward this shore. It was still a few long moments before he really registered this as a fact rather than an instinct. He had a long trip back to the present from the rummaged, upturned heaps of the past in his mind. Starlight caught in the smoked gray of his iris, adding a flicker of silver as he tossed his forelock out of his eyes.

He watched her touch down a little ways away and he turned toward her, putting the water and the distant shore to one side. He had to pull his feet free of the wet sand to do so; they had sunk while he was thinking. Mentally looking himself over as she landed he rearranged his features, twisting his ears forward, lifting his head to catch a scent of her on the salty wind, relaxing the tension in his shoulders. Relaxed, open posture - and by the time she was close enough to make out his face there was a polite relief written there.

She had colouring he recognized, not as gaudy as some of the others he had seen and he felt himself almost grateful to see it. The wings blended in warm chestnut, overo paint flashing as she folded them against her sides after landing – from a polite distance – speaking her soft greeting. He took in her careful distance and her soft voice. He guessed that this was not typically her job – to greet strangers on the shore after hours. Or else this was a strange land indeed.

He dropped his head over his bent knee in a bow that was decorously executed. The way he held himself, his mannerism, was formally polite. Meant to preserve the subconscious distance she created as she landed nearby though he stepped toward her afterward his comportment communicated a habit of nobility and civility. He nodded gratefully to her as he approached a few steps. “I hope so,” he said, a sheepish smile pulling at the corner of his lips in well-crafted deference as he glanced up at her. “I had been hoping to take a tour of the island. But I arrived a little late and of course, there was no one here to let me across…” he glanced out again at the water as he spoke, his ear resting in Nasreen’s direction. There was a moment where his words hung on the air before he broke the silence again: “My name is Achaius, by the way.”

Achaius.

Messages In This Thread
We build too many walls (Knock, knock?) - by Achaius - 08-25-2015, 09:15 PM
RE: We build too many walls (Knock, knock?) - by Achaius - 09-06-2015, 01:53 PM
RE: We build too many walls (Knock, knock?) - by Achaius - 09-07-2015, 08:42 PM
RE: We build too many walls (Knock, knock?) - by Achaius - 09-14-2015, 06:20 PM