the Rift

[OPEN] days that didn't happen [VOL!]

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

Isopia wasn't necessarily convinced.

"If you asked a herd if they would all like amulets, custom armor made for them, places to sleep, and an abundance of food - they would say yes. They would like to be spoiled, to be given things. But soon, resources would grow scarce, or invading herds would come and there would be nothing left with which to create defenses, tools, or weapons. The herd would collapse, or be overthrown, and they would blame the leader. So giving a herd what it wants, is not always best. However-" Iso tossed her quad-horn skull to remove her russet forelock from her eyes before continuing. "If once was frugal with resources, always ensuring there would be more if needed, and never giving out more than was earned, the herd would grow restless, always wanting what they couldn't have. They wouldn't fight with respect, but out of service to a leader who merely suppressed them- albeit for their own good. And so they would blame their leader. If you lead, forging diplomatic ties wherever you go - they will call you soft and blame you. If you fight wars, build fences and grow your warriors, they will call you callous, and blame you. If you lead by example, they will fault you for your mistakes. If you lead with idealistic principles, they will fault you for your nativity. " Could he see the theme she was hinting at?

Herds - and therefore the members who comprised them - would always resent, judge, or disrespect their leaders in some way. They didn't know what they ought to want, or what was actually best for them. Most focused on short-term interests and selfish pursuits. Why bother trying to earn their respect? Did it really have the payoff that Volterra thought it did? Was it necessary ?

As his question turns her own reasoning back on herself, the earthen-girl shrugs slightly. Would she? Likely. Her mother had been a queen, and her Father a God. Ruling seemed like a path that she would one day walk, but she was neither hurrying, nor dawdling, towards that end. "I see others rule, and I think that I could do better. I see mistakes made because of emotional pressures. I see alliances forged and dropped because of sexual tensions. Ranks are filled because of nepotism. Look at me - I am their oracle simply because I am related to the patron of their herd. Perhaps that is a good reason in itself, but perhaps it isn't. " The demi-god shrugged. 

"But I can do nothing as of yet. I've tried sparring and..." Suddenly apprehension and weak embarrassment flooded her mind. Was she really about to admit her many defeats to Volterra? Just like that? Swallowing hard, and passing off the pause as a moment merely to get the black goo out of her eyes, she continued. "I grew so quickly that-" Drawing attention to her body was not necessarily where she had wanted this conversation to go. But now that the words were out of her mouth, her mind could find no reasonable way to retract them, and she was forced to finish her thought. "- sometimes I feel as though I don't have control over it yet. I move to strike an opponent, and find only air."

ISOPIA
IN REALITY'S SHADOW THE BLIND SEE BEST
Image Credits

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

Messages In This Thread
days that didn't happen [VOL!] - by Isopia - 09-13-2015, 01:53 PM
RE: days that didn't happen [VOL!] - by Volterra - 09-13-2015, 03:11 PM
RE: days that didn't happen [VOL!] - by Isopia - 09-13-2015, 03:39 PM
RE: days that didn't happen [VOL!] - by Volterra - 09-13-2015, 05:18 PM
RE: days that didn't happen [VOL!] - by Isopia - 09-15-2015, 09:17 PM
RE: days that didn't happen [VOL!] - by Volterra - 09-16-2015, 05:00 PM
RE: days that didn't happen [VOL!] - by Isopia - 09-19-2015, 12:01 PM