the Rift

[OPEN] to the principal's office

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine
[quote='Megaera' pid='162371' dateline='1449288756']
She saw Mesec’s smile falter, watched his eyes fall to stare at his own hooves. It was regrettable after the calm moment that they had shared, almost enough to make Meg wish she’d left the subject alone, but it had to be done. If she was meant to lead and protect the herd she had been given charge of, it was she who had to act in the interest of them all. Was this what the sun God had meant, all those months ago? To protect and to guard without jumping straight to violence, that’s what he had said she must do, and she had been struggling with what that meant. Perhaps this was it: learning, understanding what faced her instead to lashing out against it at the slightest hint of a threat. If Mesec was a potential danger then the Sultana was duty bound to protect the Dragon’s Throat, but that meant protecting Mesec as well.

Concern was etched in her eyes when Mesec looked up again to meet her gaze but the what followed set her on edge more than anything she had heard yet. The story he gave was told through the eyes of others, just as she had seen the events unfold through Gwaihir, but his side was worrisome. No memory of the fight, no control over his actions, it reminded Meg all too fiercely of Gaucho’s murderous spree under the influence of the Goddess. That alone would have been enough in Megaera’s mind to explain the fear and regret she heard in his voice, saw in his face, but she could not have know what else Mesec had lost that day. It had been bad enough to have lost the control of her body for that one horrible minute when she had battled the Dauntless(frightening, infuriating, unforgivable) and she could only imagine what a toll it must have been for Gaucho, and now possibly Mesec, to not be in control of their own mind.

“No, you did not hurt me; you hurt no one but the demons that day. I was on the other side of the battle and did not see, but Gwaihir was close to you, and he told me what happened.” She was quick to try and give reassurance where she could. Of anyone, she knew just how much comfort could be found in a friendly word. It was an easy decision, of course not to mention that Gwahir had attacked Mesec when the eagle had though he meant to harm a young girl who had been caught up in the action. The beast had done no harm to the girl, and if Mesec did not remember what good was it to remind him. “If it was your mother’s doing, then you must know you are not responsible. Have we not just agreed on that much?.” She smiled then, though the concern she felt for him made it a strained and sad one. What else could she say to this, what answers could she give when she had none for herself? The Sunspear searched her heart, to find the words but the shadowed stallion spoke again before she could manage.

“I promise you, Megaera - if it wasn't just a one-time fluke, if it happens again, I’ll leave the Throat. I won't take the risk that I will harm anyone here.” There no lie in his voice, no hesitation and that cut her to the quick. He had come to seek belonging, to seek amends (how well she knew that desire) but he would give it all up, cast himself out, rather than risk harming one of them. Could she ever do that? Could she ever leave her family and her home if it meant keeping them safe? She would fight for them of course, die for them in a heartbeat, but could she ever have the strength to leave them behind?

The mare shook her head in a firm denial of his promise. Protect the herd, that was her duty, and her was on of them. “I would not ask that of you.” She worked to catch his eye and her stare was steady, fierce and wholly steadfast. “Your fears are understood Mesec, and they are shared, but I fear for you as well. You are part of this family and I could not leave you to face such a thing alone. You were born a child of the Moon, that is true, but as long as you are here you are a child of the Sun as well, just as I am and we would not leave you in darkness.” Her voice was unshaken, resolute. What she spoke now was more that reassurances, it was truth, it was a promise. “If it happens again, I would ask that you come find me. Please Mesec, promise me that.”
Megaera the Sunspear
image credits
@Mesec

Messages In This Thread
to the principal's office - by Mesec - 09-22-2015, 11:03 PM
RE: to the principal's office - by Megaera - 10-11-2015, 11:06 PM
RE: to the principal's office - by Mesec - 10-15-2015, 09:00 PM
RE: to the principal's office - by Megaera - 11-02-2015, 10:22 PM
RE: to the principal's office - by Mesec - 11-18-2015, 08:53 PM
RE: to the principal's office - by Megaera - 12-04-2015, 11:12 PM
RE: to the principal's office - by Mesec - 12-09-2015, 12:22 AM
RE: to the principal's office - by Blu - 01-24-2016, 04:37 PM