the Rift

[OPEN] The lightning in me strikes relentless

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine
Megaera
the darkness hath no hold on me

Megaera well remembered her little confrontation with the young stallion, but she was none to pleased to be reminded of it. Atop her head, the ears that had been up and alert twitched backward, almost shying away from the memory. Perhaps her initial anger had been justified, a warrior worth his salt should never abandon his fellows in a fight no matter the odds, but the things she'd said after--and more importantly the things she hadn't said--sparked shame that sat like little stones in her gut. It seemed that Ampere had heard the story and there would be nothing for it but to dig those stones out with rusty tools.

It would have been so easy to deny everything, to raise a flag of stubborn self-righteousness and dismiss the charges. She could pull rank, tell Ampere to mind her own business, and kick the defiant little brat off her sands as soon as she returned home. The thought made Meg sick, she hoped she would never be so cowardly as all that. As much as it grated, as annoyed with herself and the Gladiator for bringing it up as she might be, Meg had been in the wrong. That was that.

It had always seemed easy to confess her sins to Gaucho for he had always seemed so far above her. To Meg he was a paragon, a mentor, and a guide who could hear and then forgive her faults because he was faultless. Ampere however, was more of a peer, who might take her failings and judge her for them, think ill of her for them, and so the need to be honest was there but came nowhere near as easy. "I was angry. At him for leaving the battle at the blood falls and more frustrated that I could not have been there myself." She took a deep breath. "When I arrived at the battlefield I found nothing but Ranjiri's blood-stained feathers...I don't think I have ever been more terrified. I hardly even know her but she, and Aithniel, might have died and I could have done nothing to protect them. No one saw it coming, I know, but I still felt as though I had failed, protecting our herd is my responsibility and I failed. Cathun had the opportunity that I wished I could have had and when I came back he had such a defiant attitude--" She broke off, already feeling her temper start to rise at the recounting of that strange afternoon.

The bay took another deep breath to steady herself and spoke again with a tightly controlled calm. "I never lied outright, never spoke a word that wasn't true, but the phrasing, the facts I left out, let him think the way he did and that I did on purpose. I was so furious and in my anger I wanted him to feel what I had felt, to understand what he might have cost us."

"It was wrong... I was wrong to act as I did." Her gaze had been determinedly fixed to the sky in front of her but now she turned the dark eyes to the blue. "I don't know if he told you why he left the battle, but I am glad he has not left us for good. I will have to see if I can make my amends with Cathun, for I think he needs us more than he will admit. He's infuriating, but you are right, he is one of our own now." Well there it was: shit-heel Meg's first charge addressed and the guilty party would have to wait to see if she would have to pay for it more than she already had. "I have amends to make with you as well, I think..."
ooc// @Ampere now knows the drill: Meg get's longwinded when she has a guilty conscious.
Image Credit
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Messages In This Thread
RE: The lightning in me strikes relentless - by Megaera - 11-28-2015, 02:08 AM