the Rift

pecking order

Maren the Crownless Posts: 264
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.0 :: 6 HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Mr. Teatime :: Siberian Tiger :: Sing Yewrezz
Hoofs slipped down golden banks before they shuffled their way up again through the heavy sand, clouds of dust following her trail as the sun lazily began to lift its light in the east. It threw long shadows to the side of her as it bathed her brazen-striped skin in its warm glory. The air hadn’t reached it moist hotness yet, but the prediction that it would be could be made by anyone who cared enough. Summers were like this in the Throat, she had quickly learned when she came here. And, even though her itching skin longed for the coldness of the mountain valley’s she grew up in, her lips curled up in a smile as she let go of a relaxed sigh.  

She saw the contrasting blue pegasus-figure of Ampere and she wandered over to her. Cera was there too, going up in the scenery more, as his nickname already gave away. It was such a peaceful time of the day, but she was not surprised that Ampere's mind-set seemed to be set on ready-and-go. “Goodmorning,” she mused with curled up lips to all who were present as Ampere seemed to have forgotten this little bit of decency (of which she wasn’t surprised, either).

I was interested in receiving any pertinent updates for your ranks —
Hmm.. Rank updates, she thought as the wings besides her cheeks fluttered slowly, providing a relieving wind for her mind’s productivity. Within her Apostle-ranks it had been mostly absence that had filled the positions for her and thus... Perhaps that was why she couldn’t help but feel lonely. “I have attempted to attract some interest in the Apostle-ranks by providing the opportunity of a little introduction to the art and devotion of fire-watching, but there seemed to be little zest.” Immediately the one that came to mind was Einarr, the bulk who represented the word ‘little’ before ‘zest’. “Still, I have heard that Tandavi joined the wise-ranks,” she smiled, for Maren had been there when the mare was still Sultana. “I am looking forward to meeting her within our trade, this time.”

She listened to Sikeax speak, then Cera. As the stallion spoke she reminded herself of the key she owned, carefully buried in the armpit of her left wing (that was fluttering softly, still). She had wanted to give it back since she had her boat now and so she did not use it, anyway. But is the fire still an obstacle for me? She sincerely wondered so, since it has been so long now, and for a year now she had rested in the embrace of her patron’s warmth. So it shouldn’t be. Shouldn’t —Yet she wasn’t sure. For now she had her boat, a craft that was just as capable to deliver her to the promised land.

Then, however, Ampere turned to her. Turned with questions that Maren thought could just as well be for the getting up-to-date as for her personal reasurement, doubts and perhaps even just plain curiosity. She had never been that good at reading others, so she did not know which one it was.

“As we have acknowledged at the herd meeting, it seems that the Sun God and his brothers and sister have been busy with the securing of new lands. I would hate to interrupt our Patron and disturb Him in this divine quest. When this is all over I will attempt to contact him again, in case He does have new knowledge to bestow upon us.” There was a small pause, in which her cold gold eyes lay shadowed underneath a hood of a thoughtful frown. Because; what was there to think and feel about the Rift Gods and the foul creatures that were the Riftians? Was there really a right way to think? Could Ampere —and anyone here, really rely on her take on this? Because that was what the product of these happenings was; uncertainty, doubt. Even she wasn’t completely sure if the Gods saw everything in their entirety about what was happening in this mortal world. They had, after all, been as surprised by the False Gods as they had been. How could it then not be possible that they were unaware of possible consequences as well? Sure, if something was broke a God could and would fix it if it had enough value for the balance of the realm —but it shouldn’t even have been broke to begin with.

Her mind went straight to the refugees, the Riftians that had found a way through along the sides of their false Gods and broken in. How long would it take for them to remove their vividly marked masks and show their true colors?

And yet… And yet — “I understand that you are uncertain about the fact that we have aided in the killing of False Gods, for even these are Gods as well. I see that, too. Still, they did not protect the balance of our realm. They brought sickness and chaos. In my book that makes it that they did not qualify to support the needs of our land —But that is merely my own private judgement.” Meanwhile her smile had been extinguished like fire from a candle standing in the rain.

"I can think up many theories on why the Gods let us take part in this. Why us, mortals, should aid them for once. Perhaps the Gods wanted us to earn these new lands, which was why they let us fight, let us suffer and let us sacrifice, but feel the victory. Perhaps the Gods wanted to protect the importance of balance; that the law of nature is still absolute. Which might be why they let even the False Gods have a chance to win back their stolen property. Who is superior to whom… We won, so we gain; they lost and thus they lose. And like these I have found others; possibilities —But I can not say for certain one of them is the truth."

Still, if you want to know all of my possible theories you may have more of my time, but I will try to keep it short from now and let me conclude: The price we have to pay for living underneath the protective warmth of our Patron’s wings is our mere trust and faith. In the end, these are the lands of the Sun God and his brothers and sister and we should respect their wishes as much as they have respected and fulfilled ours for so long.”

Because why was she diviner; it was not —just— to communicate with him once a season. Not to guard their sacred flames that danced and curled and sang when the wind blew them higher... It was just as much so that she could protect his religion, his faith — And the task that had to be done now was precisely that. She would not let their faith in his doings shrivel just because she could perhaps not see what he was seeing.

She sighed, perhaps letting out the strain of her thinking-muscles as the air had gotten warmer. “Yet it is normal for us to be nervous, for it means that we are still thinking.” And she smiled again, because she was indeed happy that next to that, though harder to admit, she was glad that she had a puzzle to work on this summer. A question so hard that even she didn’t exactly know what to do with it.

“Oh, and good job on that well,” she muttered a tad late to Cera with a nod of appreciation.

Sorry for the length :| should perhaps not have asked such loaded questions -fufufu whistles

image credits

@Sikeax
Please tag me 

Messages In This Thread
pecking order - by Ampere - 10-18-2015, 09:53 PM
RE: pecking order - by Cera - 10-19-2015, 01:49 AM
RE: pecking order - by Maren - 10-19-2015, 09:58 AM
RE: pecking order - by Gaucho - 10-19-2015, 02:12 PM
RE: pecking order - by Nephele - 10-19-2015, 03:36 PM
RE: pecking order - by Zenobia - 10-20-2015, 05:22 AM
RE: pecking order - by Ghost - 10-20-2015, 08:32 AM
RE: pecking order - by Abaddon - 10-23-2015, 09:40 AM