the Rift

[PRIVATE] Grey Weather

Zèklè Posts: 166
Outcast atk: 8.0 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Colt :: Pegasus :: 14.1 :: Three HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
charks

The wash of anticipation which covered Zero's face quickly gave way to proud delight. A Cheshire grin stretched across the boy's face, broad enough that it threatened to overtake his ears, and he ruffled his wing, preening as Mesec praised his work. People tended to overlook Squishy, who was a messy first attempt anyway, raw and unrefined- Zero had become something of a perfectionist since his creation's conception, and seeing his friend's awe made all the hours and hours of sweat (very little) and exhaustion (he'd actually slept quite well while he healed) the lightning boy'd poured into his work brought a singular satisfaction to the one-winged child.

But he wasn't even close to being done showing off. "Thanks!" he beamed in response to Mesec's praise, dancing eagerly in the sand, his tailfeathers wriggling. "But you don' even know all it'll do yet- I'll show you on Squishy!" In a flash of blue and black Zero ran to stand behind his ever patient golem, staring down at Squishy who in turn stared at Mesec through impassive emerald eyes. Like a commander to his troops Zero began to give orders, lopsided grin never leaving his face as his little monstrosity obeyed. "Squishy, go t'the water." The golem did, somewhat reluctantly. "Squishy, come back." The golem returned.

"Squishy, ATTACK THAT PLANT!" the boy exclaimed, gesturing wildly toward an innocent bush some five feet away, his head shaking dramatically as he indicated his target. What followed was an abrupt ZAAAAAAP! of electricity, a small brush fire, and a lot of smoke. "Squishy, put that out!" Zero instructed at last, and the golem toddled off to roll himself upon the fire while its lunatic inventor laughed and laughed, narrow sides heaving with the force of his mirth.

The pride he felt at his creation's skills was nothing compared to the shocking pleasure when Mesec reached out to brush him with his muzzle. A sudden warm bashfulness overcame the boy, and he mumbled something vaguely inaudible - "It'scusyou'regreatan'IwannabeacrafterwhenIgrowuptoo" - while his sunbeam eyes remained transfixed on Mesec's hooves. Was he blushing? Why? Confused, the boy backed up a step, unable to distinguish the source of this new happiness he felt.

(One day he'd recognize that it was because, for the first time, a stallion had praised him- and that this was what having a father was supposed to feel like, and it felt overall quite good)

Luckily for Zèklè, the big black sea bird chose that moment to swoop down and land on Mesec's back. Zero jumped with alarm that quickly transformed into eager curiosity- "What's that?" he demanded of his friend, peering wondrously at the marvelous bird. "I never saw'd a bird that big! He's so cool! Is he your 'panion? What's his name?" The questions came in a speedy torrent, drowning the special uncertainty of the moment before. Zero latched onto this new turn of events eagerly, pleased to push away the strange emotions which had risen at Mesec's touch.

Finally the boy's smile faded, flipping into what was almost a frown. "Not a lot," Zero confided, staring up at Mesec through young eyes. He remembered Ma's stress after the fight, and how she'd talked to Gaucho when she thought he was asleep, and worry began to carve new, unfamiliar lines in his brow. "But I think Ma's worried 'bout me, an' she talk'd 'bout quittin' bein' Gladiator, an'... I dunno. I think she's been sad." Zero's voice was heavy with a rare and deep concern, a childish need to fix things for the person who mattered most in his life. He wondered, somewhat, if Mesec could help. Maybe if he'd been his Da, he would have made Ma happier than Gaucho did... the idea gave him a strange thrill, and the beginning of a seed began to root within his young and malleable mind.

Image Credits
- table by Niki -

@Mesec

Messages In This Thread
Grey Weather - by Mesec - 12-21-2015, 07:14 PM
RE: Grey Weather - by Zèklè - 12-22-2015, 04:52 PM
RE: Grey Weather - by Mesec - 12-23-2015, 09:56 PM
RE: Grey Weather - by Zèklè - 12-29-2015, 07:53 AM
RE: Grey Weather - by Mesec - 01-05-2016, 03:48 PM
RE: Grey Weather - by Zèklè - 01-21-2016, 08:53 PM
RE: Grey Weather - by Mesec - 01-24-2016, 08:34 PM