Escape Artist

Calder Posts: 23
Absent Abyss atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1hh :: 6 (Birdsong) HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Kiki
calder
Hold back the river, so I
Can stop for a minute and be by your side

It was clear that the mare was still frightened, and seeing her reaction caused something in Calder’s insides to recoil.  It immediately caused his muscles to tighten, screaming at him to protect the woman who clearly was in no immediate danger.  It made no rational sense in the brute’s brain, so he managed to keep his legs rooted to the spot.  She seemed quite abashed to be started by the magic, though nobody could fault her for being so new to these lands – she hadn’t yet been in Helovia an hour and already she’d been gettin’ quite the education.  

And then she finally felt comfortable enough to speak – surprising the dappled stallion by finally offering her name.  “Elspeth,” he repeated, testing the lass’ name in his own rolling accent. “See, lass, I knew ye had a name,” he added, again hoping to lighten the mood somewhat – offering her a wry smile. 

It was evident that she was looking for sanctuary, even before she spoke, but Calder deferred to the two and allowed them to offer their own descriptions by speaking.  Caenan painted a vivid picture of the Edge in his mind, even though the large stallion had never sit foot among the sea-cliffs. “Caenan, you speak of such passion about your homeland - perhaps one day I will have the opportunity to see it,” he offered, with a nod to the stallion. 

His blue eyes then flicked back to Elspeth after Zandora finished speaking.  He kept his tone casual – Calder could only be honest, as he wasn’t much of a salesman. “I find the herds here are like any herd, even many of those outside Helovia’s borders.  Ye reap what ye sow.  The Basin is much like Zandora here has described it – tucked away up in the mountains while the Aurora dances overhead.  It’s filled with interesting people but everyone is watching out for each other.  Even if you choose only to come and seek shelter and gain your footing for a bit, the others will look out for you whilst ye call the Basin home. However it’s hard not to get attached to the place. It’s amazing how it all works, in the end.” That’s what happened to Calder.  He had come just to see the lands – to test the waters – and the place had won his loyalty even when his own wavered between the basin and his lost family. 

“However, I think right now you’re probably less concerned with ranks and achievement and such than just finding a safe place to sleep.  That you will definitely find in the Basin. I crossed this threshold after losin’ my home to a landslide, and the Basin offered my weary bones a place to rest.  I’ve only recently decided to take up workin’ for a livin’ up in the mountains – that’s how I knew I’d found a permanent home.”  Calder hoped that by sharing a tiny piece of his own experience, it would be somewhat helpful to the woman.  He had come to the Basin seeking sanctuary first, and had only recently made the decision to take a rank in the herd.  The loss of his home and his family had simply been too much when he had first come to Helovia – there was no way he could have dedicated to himself to a herd without at least some attempt at healing first.  

Perhaps that’s what Elspeth needed too.  Healing.  And a place to rest her body and her mind.    Perhaps the Basin could offer her that. Ultimately, she’d be the only one that could make that decision. 

image credits

@Elspeth
Please tag Calder in all posts.
Force & magic are permitted but please check before inflicting severe and/or permanent damage.
Pixel by Sourful

Messages In This Thread
Escape Artist - by Elspeth - 01-07-2016, 01:25 PM
RE: Escape Artist - by Caenan - 01-07-2016, 03:37 PM
RE: Escape Artist - by Zandora - 01-07-2016, 11:05 PM
RE: Escape Artist - by Calder - 01-08-2016, 12:22 AM
RE: Escape Artist - by Elspeth - 01-08-2016, 01:51 PM
RE: Escape Artist - by Caenan - 01-08-2016, 03:51 PM
RE: Escape Artist - by Zandora - 01-10-2016, 07:07 PM
RE: Escape Artist - by Calder - 01-13-2016, 12:20 AM
RE: Escape Artist - by Elspeth - 01-13-2016, 05:45 PM
RE: Escape Artist - by Caenan - 01-17-2016, 05:08 PM