the Rift

[PRIVATE] what if i make mistakes

Tembovu the Elephant Posts: 805
World's Edge Captain atk: 7 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 18hh :: 10 HP: 77 | Buff: SWIFT
Mbwene :: African Elephant :: Ashen smitty

“Everything.” Her answer pulled his attention away from the churning waves, navy eyes leaving the grey and sand-filled crests. His brows knit slightly, in both consternation and concern. ‘Everything’ is even harder to run from than anything I’ve escaped,” and just the barest hints of amusement colored his tone, though not enough to bring a laugh— just enough to lighten the depths of his gaze.

Finally, he regained her bright emerald eyes, beautifully despite their sadness. He tried to hold the gaze, but the rawness in her eyes as she spoke plaintive, honest words was too much. So his own stare faltered, instead roaming over the sculpted lines of her face as she said words of abandonment, loss, and failure. His eyes sloped down the angle of her cheek, the curve of her muzzle.

He leaned forward, ears perked and straining, as her gentle voice dropped to a whisper. The murmurings were greedily snatched and scattered by the ferocious winds, but so attentive was the King that he caught the words before their dispersal.

Cautiously, he took a sidestep closer to her— glancing towards Tallis (to ask for permission? guidance?). In the cold of this oncoming storm, he sought to share his colossal warmth with her. He did not know if she was cold (in fact, she gave no indication of it), but any heat should be welcome in the face of these storms (emotional and physical).

But it was then that the tears began to roll down the chestnut cheeks he had just been studying. It was always the tears that stung the Elephant’s titanous heart. So, without much thought, he leaned his great shoulder towards her marked one, seeking to providing comforting pressure and warmth.

What he wanted to do was wipe away the tears and give her comforting words. But he was not so closely acquainted with his Doctor, nor was he able to spin such lies. At her final statement, “You've made it clear that there isn't any escape from it,” he found himself cursing his own admission. But what was said was said. He could not change that now.

Instead, he sighed gently, feeling a weight settle like a stone in his chest. “There will always be failure in life, always,” his low voice began, “But it isn’t the failures we should focus on, but the triumphs— no matter how trivial, for there are triumphs amid every failure. Your mates have left you? At least you have loved. Some poor beings do not know that light. Your children have left? At least you have had the joy of children in your life. Some are not so lucky,” a knowing, dark shadow crossed his face, “And you could not heal Erthe’s legs? At least you tried to heal wounds created by gods. Many cowardly or selfish souls would not do even that. And I will never condemn someone who hurts another in self defense. That is not a failure, but a solely a triumph.”

He paused, taking a breath after his monologue, eyes now searching for Eva’s, “I said there was no escaping my past. The pain will remain, it’s true. But you can layer— try to layer— happy, content, or simply less painful memories over it,” a sad breath, “Because that’s all we have left, in the end.” His ears tilted backwards and he turns his unseeing, lonely gaze to the sea.
image credits
- table by Niki -

have a novel.

Please tag Tembovu.

Messages In This Thread
what if i make mistakes - by Evangeline - 01-12-2016, 02:23 PM
RE: what if i make mistakes - by Tembovu - 01-14-2016, 07:23 PM
RE: what if i make mistakes - by Evangeline - 01-15-2016, 01:19 AM
RE: what if i make mistakes - by Tembovu - 01-17-2016, 04:11 AM
RE: what if i make mistakes - by Evangeline - 01-18-2016, 01:21 PM
RE: what if i make mistakes - by Tembovu - 01-19-2016, 02:24 AM
RE: what if i make mistakes - by Evangeline - 01-21-2016, 06:01 PM