the Rift

I dream you're still here [Jen]

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen
Ashamin

Three sets of eyes should have meant three times the attention. When Ashamin watched, so did his companions. They were vigilant, Lochan always leading the way and Rakt quietly contributing, doing more than he ever seemed he would. Sometimes, though, even six eyes could miss one important thing.

Ashamin's care for these companions was greater than he could fathom. He took care to wait for Aithniel, nodding in focused respect as she excused herself to care for her griffin. It was a moment well spent, a gesture that temporarily garnered immense respect. The haruspex did not yet know much about the mare, but her gentle treatment of the griffin was a good sign.

Still, a spar was to come. The time she spent speaking to her bonded, Ashamin occupied by running his coal eyes over her frame. She was slightly smaller than he (though with the addition of her wings, not noticeably) and did not bear the scars he had earned through practice. Her runner's legs were plain to see, but Ashamin guessed he might be more agile, based on his presumption of having greater experience. He judged the fight would be fair enough and pulled his head back to watch and prepare, not noticing his own youngest companion wandering off.

Lochan was, by now, old enough to join his bonded in spars. Rakt, though, was still a mere babe with milk teeth. Were Ashamin less focused on sizing up his opponent, he might have remembered to specifically herd the young red cerndyr away. As it were, Ashamin had let the simple but integral step slip his mind. When Aithniel declared the start he found himself frozen in awe of her spread wings; Rakt, passive as ever, did not have the sense to look up.

It was only Lochan, stationed by Ashamin's right flank, who saw the spark from the clacking of the hybrid's hooves. The understanding of it, however, came too late. None of those six eyes foresaw the flame's trajectory, and none predicted the harm of its heat. Rakt's aimless and childlike wandering put him almost directly in the path of the flames, and when the fireball landed just behind him, hot earth was flung onto the small cerndyr's back and hindquarters.

The burning brought forth every sensation. There was the cry of the ruddy bonded, learning what it was to feel pain for the very first time. There was Lochan's desperate lunging towards his brother, as if he could save him from the heat of ash and flame. There was the mixing of stardust with ash and ember, the hissing steam of fire meeting pure cold earth. Then there was Ashamin who felt all their pain combined. Crackling in Ashamin's skull was Rakt's fear, confusion, and burns; Lochan's overflowing fraternity and uncertain confusion; and his own body's interpretation of the pain through the bond as a stinging and reason-wrecking headache, and his heart's understanding of his mistake.

Ashamin tried to shake off the pain as Aithniel landed and seek Rakt out. Protect the herd, shield this brotherhood, his every moral code screeched. Lochan sent back every signal he could, though, to stop the haruspex in his tracks.

Go, the little eye urged. Fight.

As much as Ashamin wished to argue, he could not. Through rapidly blinking eyes he saw Aithniel's fast approach and Rakt, struggling to stand far to Ashamin's right and move further to the sidelines with Lochan's aid. Rakt would hurt, and so too would Ashamin through their bond, but he would recover. Lochan was right; the haruspex needed to focus on striking back.

Ashamin vowed, then, to not let the mare strike him without forcing her to consider the hurt she had caused. He became volatile; he set off at a run, moving leftwards and hopefully away from Aithniel's oncoming form. Slowly he tried to focus his magic and harness its nascent powers so that a manifestation of this near-stranger's heart might appear where he had been. If he was lucky, the electric creature would be directly in Aithniel's path and take whatever damage she had intended to inflict upon the haruspex.

Ashamin did not have mercy, now. Let her hopefully see her own heart, whatever it appeared to be--which, with Ashamin's little knowledge of her, would likely be some infant hybrid of the two studs Rikyn and Erebos, bearing wings like the mare's griffon and fighting itself and biting off its own two heads--and face whatever lay within her. Everyone had ugliness inside them, even if they couldn't see it. The haruspex kept running and shaking his burning head, praying for his companion with every heart and hoofbeat. Let all horrors be revealed, the haruspex thought with condemnation of the mare who'd hurt his bonded. See yourself now, as you are.

""

Credit

WC: 798/800 (wordcounter.net)
AP: 1/3 CD: 0/1
Note: I've never used this magic in a spar before, but I was instructed that the heart manifestations should be based only on Ashamin's knowledge of a character, so Ashamin sees Aithniel's heart as self-attacking, winged, and two-headed baby erebos and rikyn, weirdly. I did my best to word this so you can avoid it entirely.

:: [ Magic: DarkxSpark | Able to manifest his/another's heart as a creature made of harmless electricity which can be hurt/killed. All damage done to the vulnerable manifestation harms its source ]
:: [ Restrictions | Lasts 30 seconds in battle. Requires permission outside of battle. ]

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Messages In This Thread
I dream you're still here [Jen] - by Aithniel - 02-01-2016, 03:20 PM
RE: I dream you're still here [Jen] - by Ashamin - 02-05-2016, 09:59 AM
RE: I dream you're still here [Jen] - by Aithniel - 02-10-2016, 04:07 PM
RE: I dream you're still here [Jen] - by Ashamin - 02-16-2016, 11:31 AM
RE: I dream you're still here [Jen] - by Time - 03-14-2016, 09:29 PM