Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine

M E G A E R A
her fight and fury is fiery
oh but she loves
like sleep to the freezing

It hadn’t been fair of her to avoid the Diviner because of her own nagging embarrassment, she knew that. There were—there had always been—parts of Meg’s brain that could be logical, even analytical, but somehow in her make up those parts were never given much strength when it came to influencing the mare’s actions. She ran on emotion, noon her gut, and more than a handful of times that had led her astray. When she had first met Gaucho, her gut had told her to fight, and now he was her mentor; when she had met Einarr, her gut had abled him a stranger to be driven from her home, and now her was her husband and more was an integral part of protecting that home. Had she her gut been wrong in avoiding Maren so long?

Megaera waited for the diviner to start elucidating on some sort of problem, to give news of some rift in the herd or trouble with outsiders… There had to be something wrong, (even of the gentle tiger had only come to scold Meg for dragging her hooves). Why else would she have sought out the Sultana so early if not to complain in some fashion? But Maren did not. She stood quietly for a few moments, with an enviable serenity in the morning splendor. Meg followed the direction of her eyes, expecting to find tragedy, but being proven wrong in that too. There was only the sunrise, and she felt the tension start to ease out of her muscles. If it had been urgent, Maren would have started immediately, but she if the little wings seemed content to watch the sunrise without haste and Meg fell into the spell of that golden glow right along with her.

She heard the words when they began, let them wash over her just like the reaching rays of warm sunlight and by the end of the other mare’s recollection she was smiling too. “What a lovely thought…a song to usher in the morning.” She murmured it, still watching the slow ascent of the sun. She thought of her prayers; the ones she had spoken to the evening, and they did not seem so beautiful or simple. The last time she had stood vigil at the diviner’s fire it had been trough the dark night. “I don’t think my prayers were ever so joyous…I watch the sun rise sometimes and instead of being thankful I worry that it won’t be there the next morning.” She mumbles that thought, almost unconsciously to herself, lulled into a quiet reassurance by the sunrise and the strange woman beside her.

Maren spoke again and this time it pulled the sultana’s full attention back to her. What a strange creature. She thought, though not unkindly, taking in once again the strange tones in the tiger’s voice and the odd placement of those tiny little wings. These oddities were of course nothing to the mare’s statement.

”I trust you.”

Meg blinked, expression inscrutable, as her dark eyes met the golden gaze and held it for a moment. She had said it so simply, so utterly without guile or flattery that it took the sultana quite by surprise. Had Meg ever given anything of the kind to a near-stranger? Had she ever been given it? Perhaps once, and not in so many words when she and Cera had stood shoulder to shoulder in defiance of the wrath of Gods… But she and this mare had run no such gauntlet together and so it took Meg the space of several breaths to do anything more than stare.

Could she know the value that Meg would find in those simple words? Worth more than any riches was even the smallest vote of confidence when Meg herself had grown so used to worrying over proving herself worthy both the position she had been given. Maren turned away again to watch the sunset, and perhaps the break in eye contact let the lump forming in the Sultana’s throat begin to loosen. “Thank you, truly.” it was a quiet acknowledgment, but rang with fervent sincerity.

Black eyes turned once again to the east before they slid closed, and Meg smiled again. The sun, the ever-blessed sun, seemed to cut even through the chilled winter winds to warm her face and her heart, and she let herself stand quietly in the company of the diviner for several long moments “I am sorry about that…Sorry we haven’t been been better acquainted, I mean.” and there is was, that need to confess her faults. It always bubbled out of Megaera eventually, and in recent time it had usually been directed at Gwaihir, though the Eagle was always well enough in tune with Meg to make the confessional strictly necessary. But the mare found it helpful, airing her errors and her worries so she could move past them, even if all the feedback she received was a friendly ear. “It was more the Sun that I have been avoiding in a way, and it seems that as his Diviner I started avoiding you too.” She sighed and with the words and excess air came the weight of her uncertainties. “I don’t know if I've learned the lesson he meant for me and not sure I could bare to be a disappointment” Her smile towards the sun was a half-hearted thing pulled out with a little chuckle; self deprecative to cover the very real concern.

@Maren
FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::

Messages In This Thread
In the dawn - by Maren - 02-09-2016, 09:45 AM
RE: In the dawn - by Megaera - 02-14-2016, 10:26 AM
RE: In the dawn - by Maren - 02-21-2016, 05:26 PM
RE: In the dawn - by Megaera - 02-29-2016, 03:09 PM