the Rift

:: Tiered Ranks? :: A Guided Discussion

Rexanna Posts: 499
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 7 years HP: 61.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Marembo :: Marbled Polecat :: None Skylark
Do you want a sneak system? Yes

How would you want to keep track of it? I think having it tiered based off of how long / successful a character has been is a good idea. Personally, when it comes to the stealth rank (like with Rex for example) it’s all just kind of word of mouth of whether or not she’s good at it. Having a tiered system would kind of be that visual where you look at a character in a stealth position (or outcast I’m assuming since it works for the both of them?) and can see how good they are at it? Though I can see this as a way of deterring some people from choosing someone that has items because they can look at the stats and see if they’re successful? For instance, when I started being a sneak with Rex, I’d never done it before and the first stealth I made was for Gull (which I had no idea how thievey Gull is) and perhaps if I had looked at a stealth stat I might have been turned off for trying? So maybe in some ways the stat isn’t like a huge difference, but maybe like a buff (like how there’s buffs for characters in sparring)?

How do you think it should affect stealths? I think that personally, it would kind of suck having a stealth that you block (that’s for your character) and have it still pass. Unless of course the stats of the person thieving it is high enough as well? Like a dice battle? xD But then the problem arises, lets say character X has an item they worked hard for but never has made a stealth (so no buffs or any tier to show that they’ve done it) and they get beat even if they’ve blocked themselves by character Y because character Y is a tier 2 sneak? I also wonder if it would work vice-versa (I might be reading this wrong but here goes nothing) if a person who’s never done a stealth before, stealths for an item from a higher stat sneak and the sneak blocks themselves and still loses their item, wouldn’t that basically show that the sneak isn’t as good as his/her job as previously thought? Even with having buffs? I’m not really sure how to go about making it so that way it’s a simple system, but perhaps a little tally thing that doesn’t effect a roll for a stealth would be kind of neat. Like character X has completed 5 successful stealths that’s shown in an accomplishment sort of thing rather than an actual buff/roll? And since stealths keep changing with rules and such, I think maybe having an even more detailed list of what’s good and what’s bad could be shown again? (though I really do love the current good/bad) I just think that perhaps they can be so versatile that it warrants more examples? Or maybe the idea of letting it run loose is good too, but I know I struggled a lot (and still do really) when making my stealths. xD

Other thoughts or concerns: I talked about this in the Basin chat, but I think having a little board for people to practice stealths would be a good idea! Just an OOC way of being like “What did I do well here and what did I do bad?” That way there’s no hard feelings and people could get the gist of how to make good stealths without completely failing every time. And this way nothing would actually be stolen? It’d also be a good idea to take ideas from it and make your own stealths but be unable to use one you created in the OOC board (for obvious reasons that people would know who you were going for since it’s already been discussed?) xD I love the idea that we’re talking about this, because personally being in a sneak rank in the Basin is a bit confusing for me at times, so I think having something to actually talk about with it would be a great discussion!
[Image: lovelyskylark.gif?8]
Permission given for moderate power play.
Feel free to use magic/force on Rexanna, without killing her.
Please tag in every post!

Messages In This Thread
RE: :: Tiered Ranks? :: A Guided Discussion - by Rexanna - 02-22-2016, 06:44 PM