Knox Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 7 Years [Tallsun] HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen
Milo | Knox
And if you don't love me now,
you will never love me again
[ Knox is in his own form ]

It is all too much. The hunter can't find the words, can't form a reply. He listens to Darwin's lament, his furious cry of how I was the victim, you the betrayer! I was the beaten, you were the weapon! I the abandoned, you the beloved! And it isn't that Darwin is wrong that hurts. At first that might be so but it doesn't take more than a moment's reflection for Knox to consider his own fault.

Shouldn't he have helped his brother? Shouldn't he have lifted Darwin up, watched over him as he learned to fly, and shown him the good he could have in a free, glorious world?

Knox didn't want to blame himself, he was never a good honest sort that could take criticism well, but there was no avoiding what he had denied Darwin. He and his brothers had killed Mandrake to end the torment, to bring about a new era in which Darwin could be loved and free, and they had failed. They had torn down the queen and failed to elect a new government.

Truly, he knows, that it is his fault. So he doesn't defend himself, for he can no longer stand to lie so obviously and attribute good character to a monster. His wounded eye burns as tears try to force themselves out of a duct molded shut. No, he'll never cry that way again.

His mouth hangs, his good eye shuts. Knox is cold and ashamed, but there's little he can do. He tries to compose himself, tries to appear unaffected, but finds that he must look away entirely. It's only when Darwin changes the subject, turning instead to Milo, that Knox is able to speak.

"No," Knox answers softly, not entirely knowing if he's right or not. Strength flows into him and he turns suddenly to Darwin, taking in every word off his younger brother's lips that follows. "Darwin... you, him, the entire family you left behind has suffered. Tragedy follows you." He pauses, considers his own father, and then goes on, "Maybe you're all cursed, I can't say. But I know that the only way those brothers of yours have survived this long is by sticking together." The image of Wilder, wrapped traitorously around their mother and alone, burns in his mind. No, nothing good ever comes of leaving the pack.

"If you would have them, I am sure they would welcome you home without a moment's hesitation," Knox offers as reservedly as he is able, "and if you'd like to see them now, I'm happy to show you the way."

Knox's breath is caught, his ears turned forward in rapt anticipation. He doesn't know if he can bear rejection now.

""
running in the shadows
Full Image

Messages In This Thread
the good die young - by Darwin - 02-29-2016, 10:42 PM
RE: the good die young - by Knox - 04-07-2016, 09:21 PM
RE: the good die young - by Milo - 04-07-2016, 09:50 PM
RE: the good die young - by Darwin - 04-07-2016, 10:07 PM
RE: the good die young - by Knox - 04-09-2016, 09:01 PM
RE: the good die young - by Darwin - 04-09-2016, 11:33 PM
RE: the good die young - by Knox - 04-13-2016, 07:10 PM
RE: the good die young - by Milo - 04-15-2016, 10:45 PM