the Rift

[PRIVATE] Won't Get Away so Easy

Iona Posts: 100
World's Edge Specter atk: 7.5 | def: 11 | dam: 3.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 11 (birdsong) HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Iver :: Osprey :: None Kiki

"I'd rather die my way than live yours."

Iona stood stock still as she listened to her sister.  It hurt to see the unshed tears fill her sister’s eyes, but Iona didn’t move to comfort here.  Not yet at least.  Because these weren’t normal tears, and she felt like Alysanne needed to process things through before she could actually be of any help to her sister.  Alysanne needed to feel not protect.  Iona stood firm so as to silently reassure her sister that the tears, the uncertainty, all of it was okay.  Her heart twisted and lurched uncomfortably as Alysanne spoke, but Iona stood, stoic.

Iona let out a soft sigh and took a step closer to Alysanne, lowering both her head and her voice. “Aly,” she said, gently. “Is this really about Tembovu?”  On a normal day, Iona would have teased her sister – raised an eyebrow and prodded her for details.  But today there was no jest or accusation.  Just a gentle question. And the questions continued.

“Do you truly believe he would burn down this forest and everyone in it with absolutely no regard for life at all? Because I have a hard time believing that.”   Iona had formed her own judgments of the elephant king.  She knew what magic was capable of.  She knew that it was a battle for some to control themselves under its influence.  Tembovu was someone she was willing to give the benefit of the doubt, even though she hadn’t seen the grisly scene Alysanne had witnessed.  She had a hard time believing it was done out of sheer malice. “Anger, however. That’s something that I can understand. That’s something I’ve been dealing with my entire life.” She paused, before explaining what she meant.

”You’re allowed to be angry, Alysanne.  You’re allowed to distrust people. You’re allowed to be skeptical of the intentions of those around you. You’re allowed to be angry with Tembovu for what happened!  But you aren’t allowed to torment yourself for having these feelings! I don’t think you’ve been angry for more than a fleeting moment in your whole life and it’s about damn time.  But own the feeling, don’t deflect it on to other people.  It will eat you alive if you do.”  Uncharacteristically, Iona’s voice never rose, and she took another step closer to her sister, reaching out to touch her twin’s shoulder.

“There are monsters everywhere, Aly.  There always have been, there always will be. That doesn’t mean you have to live your life any differently.  There’s no such thing as a perfect place.  Is this place better than Nocturne? You bet your ass it is. And regardless of whether or not you trust Tembovu’s ability to control himself and lead the Edge, that doesn’t mean this is a place worth forsaking.  There are worse things out there to worry about than the failings of one man. You’ve poured yourself into this place, you’d really all give it up?”  She waited another beat before some of Iona’s inner fire swept back through her bones. 

“And don’t tell me you don’t know how to do anything, Alysanne. Don’t do that. Don’t belittle yourself. You have abilities others don’t and you know it.  So battling is particularly your thing? So what.  If an injured soldier came to you, you’d be able to return them to battle.  How’s that not defending our home?” There was more passion in Iona’s voice now, but still no irritation.  She just wished that Aly would see what she saw – a capable woman serving her home as best she could. 

-- I O N A --

tags: @Alysanne 
quote: lauren oliver
image credit

i thought i posted this a million years ago ;-;

Please tag IONA in all posts.
Force and magic permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
image credit 

Messages In This Thread
Won't Get Away so Easy - by Alysanne - 04-06-2016, 08:45 PM
RE: Won't Get Away so Easy - by Iona - 05-04-2016, 10:21 PM
RE: Won't Get Away so Easy - by Alysanne - 05-05-2016, 01:30 PM
RE: Won't Get Away so Easy - by Iona - 05-27-2016, 10:24 PM
RE: Won't Get Away so Easy - by Alysanne - 06-13-2016, 09:09 PM