the Rift

[JUDGED] ignore remorse [Erebos vs. Rikyn]

Erebos Posts: 474
Aurora Basin General atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1hh :: Four HP: 75.5 | Buff: DANCE
Orsino :: Plain Kitsune :: Dark Illusions & Enyo :: Common Griffon :: Draining Clutch Heather
EREBOS
There were so many things he wanted to say.

I missed you was one, and Where did you go? was another, but within the twisting convolutions of their world – with boys being boys, with heroes’ armor rusting, he was forced to say nothing.

The prince didn’t tell Rikyn that he cherished him, that he didn’t want to hurt him, or that he’d attempt to vanquish any foes sent his way. He didn’t spout I’m proud of you, even though he was, because Rikyn had gone and done all the things he wanted to do, and Erebos was still busy struggling to delve into how he was going to avenge all his fallen comrades. He didn’t simmer in jealousy, or wander his way through the envious, murky clouds plaguing his mind – only one last thought popped and boiled, incensed and curled against the back of his skull.

I don’t want to be left behind.

Did Rikyn care? Did Rikyn harbor any regrets or remorse? Was he ready to repent from the inevitable? Or was he simply fervent and eager for the fray, to fight, to harpoon, to scar and wound a friend?

But Erebos’ teeth gnawed on his companion’s flesh, Orsino rasped in between movements, and there were no harsh words exchanged, no brutal comments made, no tears shed. They were power and youth culminating amongst fire and brimstone, shadows and kings, playing court to predecessors and legends. All Erebos wanted was to ensure they were both alive at the end of it.

He was almost sickened to feel the pulse of Rikyn’s sinew within his ivories. Something coiled, noxious and nefarious, in the depths of his barrel and chest (maybe his conscience, lost long ago and suddenly reappearing when he didn’t require it), and it did nothing to spur him on.

Come on then! he’d proclaimed, echoed through the chamber, but the soldier didn’t feel it rustling through his skin or pulsing through his blood.

Then Rikyn struck, maneuvering and angling his horn, his sword, brandishing their chosen weapons, towards his right hip. Erebos wasn’t nearly as fast as the other, and despite his attempt to dodge, to sway, to gallop towards the left (escape his mind uttered, like a coward, like a vice), the sharp point of the bay’s rapier connected with his right flank. It was a sharp sting, a burst of light against his eyes, and a piece of hide flayed away, fell, lost. His evasion was successful at Rikyn’s second trigger of motion, escaping from the burst of movement with one of his own – advancing deeper into the hellhole.

But it could’ve been worse; he knew the way they both worked. He was aware of how much power they consumed, of how much they both yearned, craved, disaster, ruin, and chaos – yet, perhaps, not upon each other.

What are we trying to prove?

Who was better? Who was mightier? Who had the best incantations, who had the most gall? Who could beat and tear, rip and ensnare, without caring who they bludgeoned, who they destroyed?

Now you got it! sizzled Orsino, and the kitsune laughed through their connection, their void like a portion of blackened, Stygian hell, and the boy wanted none of it.

Enough, his mind said, but his body moved on its own accord, launching out his hind feet in attempt to strike out at Rikyn’s left side, to do damage to a blood brother, to pummel and devastate, maim and devour.

Then Orsino slipped amongst their dark cavern, twisted and deceitful, duplicitous and vexing, but Erebos didn’t tell him no, didn’t advise him to cease. They were just as wicked together, aligned and allied with the devil, as the rest of the world.

The fox rummaged through his invocations, and rumbled with a vibrant hiss, attempting to alter the scenery, the surroundings, for a more challenging proposition. The grounds, the caverns, appeared to quake, shake, shudder, and roar by their heads and beneath their feet, threatening to pulse, to crack, to flail apart, like a chasm opening wide, eager to swallow them whole.

Be careful! he wanted to cry out. Be safe! he wanted to scream – to whom, to what, was part of the chaos.

Still, he said nothing.

[2/3. 706 words.
* Erebos tries to dodge towards the left as Rikyn’s comes for his right side, but cannot evade it fully, and is cut along his right flank. He loses pieces of pelt and hair.
* He dodges the second attack by running forward.
* He attempts to kick out with his hind feet towards Rikyn’s left side.
* Orsino uses his magic to alter the surroundings – making the cavern appear as though it’s in the midst of an earthquake like phenomenon – including walls and ground shaking.]

Image Credit

Teaching Notes: Ahahaha, I’m so glad we did this!

What Went Well:

* Emotions: I really liked Rikyn here. He’s so…Rikyn. X) He’s always been a bold, sassy, little shit character, and I’ve enjoyed that about him. True to form, he doesn’t seem bothered in the least that they could beat the tar out of each other (black eyes!), and you don’t compromise this attitude at all. Especially: I thought of how much I had learned, what I could show him, and as I ran my golden eyes across his figure again, looking at him as an opponent rather than a friend, I couldn’t help but wonder what he could teach me, too. It’s the first time I’ve noticed the amount of muscle layered over his frame, how he seems built to bludgeon in all the ways I’m streamlined for speed. I can’t help but wonder if all that muscle means he can take a few more hits than me, too. and Maybe I should be nervous, too. Maybe I should be worried that he’ll go too far, that I might slip on all this stone debris at hoof and hurt him, or he I; that we will leave this cavern irreparably separate, and changed.

All I can feel is the hot rush of my blood as it thunders through me, too roused by the notion of fighting a true equal, the only I’ve ever faced, to bother with dark thoughts of brotherhood lost. For the first time since we were children, playing Knight, our small weapons brandished under a mountain’s shadow, we’ve the chance to pit our bodies against the other, and I feel that same childish elation move through me in an anxious rattle.
really sell me on the aspect that he’s in this for the glory, and hasn’t come to regret his choices yet. He lives in the moment. ;D

* Damage Taken: Ugh, the dreaded 6! The dice rolls like to have a go with all of us, but I thought you were very clever to not only take the bites, but also have Rikyn damage himself.

There is not enough time to pull away from the reach of his teeth, nor enough to avoid my right hind ankle kicking violently into one of my left fore hoof as I skitter gracelessly to a pseudo halt, leaning into our battle embrace.

Dumbass, I think to myself, hope he didn’t notice that…

I just liked it. X)

You were also very detailed in where you took the damage, how it felt, etc. Make sure as the fight goes on to continue mentioning the pain and how its impacting Rikyn’s movements. If he already has a throbbing ankle and all these distracting little bites, how does that determine what he does for attacks? Defenses?

To Work On:

* Battle…Schematics: There was a portion that confused me, probably because I had a different idea of positioning in my head. As Erebos comes towards Rikyn’s left to bite, you have Rikyn attempting to slash towards Erebos’ right hip, which makes up for some interesting angles/directional challenges. It might have made more sense for Rikyn to go for Erebos’ left (maybe the shoulder/neck/chest area?). I had Erebos dodge towards the left so the attack was still taken, but its just some food for thought.

Overall, honestly, I didn’t have much else to add. I thought your attacks were easy to understand, minus the direction piece mentioned above, and you’ll be able to utilize surroundings more in the coming posts. ;D

To Think About:

* Surroundings: I had Orsino do this mostly for practice in utilizing surroundings. I know I have a difficult time with it, so now you get to work on it too! How does Rikyn feel about the sudden change in the battlefield? (Am I the only one excited to have them almost fall into an imaginary hole? :DDDD)

* Pain: Who knows what this dice roll is going to be, but like I mentioned before, pain and fatigue are going to be a huge piece on the realism scale. How does Rikyn’s pain alter his plans?

Good luck! I’m loving this!

@Rikyn

Messages In This Thread
ignore remorse [Erebos vs. Rikyn] - by Erebos - 04-23-2016, 06:22 PM
RE: ignore remorse [Erebos vs. Rikyn] - by Rikyn - 04-28-2016, 03:34 PM
RE: ignore remorse [Erebos vs. Rikyn] - by Erebos - 05-15-2016, 06:45 AM
RE: ignore remorse [Erebos vs. Rikyn] - by Rikyn - 05-31-2016, 11:28 AM
RE: ignore remorse [Erebos vs. Rikyn] - by Erebos - 06-18-2016, 06:22 PM
RE: ignore remorse [Erebos vs. Rikyn] - by Rikyn - 06-27-2016, 11:52 AM
RE: ignore remorse [Erebos vs. Rikyn] - by Erebos - 07-03-2016, 08:21 AM