the Rift

[JUDGED] ignore remorse [Erebos vs. Rikyn]

Erebos Posts: 474
Aurora Basin General atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1hh :: Four HP: 75.5 | Buff: DANCE
Orsino :: Plain Kitsune :: Dark Illusions & Enyo :: Common Griffon :: Draining Clutch Heather
EREBOS
They were rolling flames and cast-off shells of shadows, legends in the making, princes and thieves, musketeers and brigands, showing the world what they wanted, what they could be. But even in the distorted cataclysm, even amidst the squabble, the skirmish, the heat, the dust, the debris, the wreckage and ruin, Erebos was tied and knotted in too many directions.

I’m sorry, he yearned to say, as the waves of crumbling rock were cast into delusion after delusion, while Orsino shouted at him throughout their connection Who cares!, and the entire thing continued to unravel in one ridiculous mess.

He’d always wanted to fight alongside Rikyn. There’d been dreams of grandeur tucked between their boyish, mercurial adventures – where they’d march upon empires and face down opponents, laughing, snickering, smirking, a plague upon every house and kingdom. They’d take over the world, one realm at a time, feared and idolized.

Dueling against his childhood friend had never been in the picture.

The world trembles in awe of us!, Rikyn had proclaimed, and the blue boy could feel Orsino laugh. Not in this state!, he rasped, grated, and hissed, almost defiantly twisting against their bond, almost instigating over and over again, and Erebos so desperately wanted to fight it all away. 

It was harsh and brutal, unrelenting and treacherous, rancorous and bitter. The sentiments tore against his mind as Rikyn maneuvered towards him, closer and closer, and the scion faltered, stumbled against the moving, ricocheting floor. His dodge was pathetic at best, legs shaking, trying to grapple with the intensity and confusion of the earth’s treacherous movements, and his brethren’s hooves landed along his right shoulder in a smarting bruise. More pain flared as he snorted, as he tried to contain the barbarous layers of agony, misery, and frustration piling on top of him. In all the mayhem, in all the perplexity, the rocks tumbling, the ground threatening to gape open, he managed to miss the second round of flying limbs in a stumbling, fumbling leap. Still, the little fiend simply wanted to go home.

Enough, he beckoned again, but received no answer besides another hiss, another torrent. He was so tired, tired of everything pummeling and firing against him, the aches and pains, the brutality and condemnation towards a friend, the way in which he couldn’t find the urge, the kindling, to try and destroy someone who meant so much to him.

His heart wasn’t in it, and he knew that wasn’t fair to Rikyn.

It should’ve been, because he’d always wanted to become better, stronger, and more powerful than everyone else. He wanted each and every realm to shudder at the sound of his name, at the quake of his motions, at the stories and legends he’d one day write. He wanted them to know the depths of his prowess and the layers of his potential; how they’d rue the day they ever harmed his kin, scarred or obliterated one of his own.

But Rikyn had never done any of those things. He’d never wronged him. He’d never scorned him. One day he’d just left him behind.

The same haunting thought pervaded his skull, again and again, like a vice, like a sermon, like a disastrous chord sung by sirens. Maybe I’m just not good enough.

Their eyes met, Rikyn’s full of joviality (for the spar? For the skirmish? To watch him whittle away?), and Erebos’ full of nothingness, revealing naught but feeling everything, too much like his father, too much like his mother.

On some unseen, unknown drive, perhaps ghosts, perhaps monsters, perhaps demons nestled, curled, and coiled within his blood, the tired beast, with his right side throbbing, lowered his skull, brandished his blade, and attempted, amidst the clamor, the disarray, the turmoil, to run it down the length of Rikyn’s left side.

Forgive me, he ushered, mouth parted on the smallest, slightest whisper. 

[3/3. 646 words.
* Erebos attempts to dodge Rikyn’s kick/buck, but with the rattling floor and his wounds, he’s incapable of truly escaping. He earns a bruise along his right shoulder.
* He attempts to run his sword down the length of Rikyn’s left side.]

Image Credit

Teaching Notes:

What Went Well:

* Emotions: I still think you know Rikyn so well, and it shows every time you write a post with him.

Some of my favorite passages were: A small blade of guilt cuts my heart as my horn does the same to his deep blue pelt; despite having sparred with other friends in the past, they had not been the friends that had been given access to my most intimate hopes for what I might become. They were not Erebos, my first friend, my only true comrade. It is probably less than would strike me should I strike Aithniel (a girl, my sister, flame and ash, not Erebos, the General Lord’s son, made from steel and shadow), but it still makes me gasp in apology as he pulls away. Our dance rattles staccato deeper into the heart of the caverns; the dark edges that are not illuminated by the ruddy glow of the fire falls edge closer.

I hadn’t meant to, I wanted to say, I had only meant to bruise you…
They resonate so strongly together. <333 Stupid boys.

The pinpricks of his bites are even more aggravating, my ears pinning down to my head as I pull myself together with a simple thought: if we’re going to die falling into the Heart of the World, so fucking be it. Sounds like the best way for two legends like us to die, anyway. So, I try my best to compensate for the violent pitch of the world around me, a bark of laughter almost defying the illusion the little fox casts on me with the sound. Even when the earth cracks wide and yawns, its dark heart beckoning, I chose to ignore the sensible fear beating at the back of my head.

"The world trembles in awe of us!" I jest, laughing as I always seem to want to be around Erebos.
So Rikyn, to laugh everything off. XDD

* Damage Taken: Phew, we’re finally getting some low rolls in! I was very pleased with how you responded to the roll, taking into account the amount of damage that would be necessary for a 2. I also thought you did a good job of portraying past wounds and assaults. Make sure to continue mentioning them in terms of how they affect Rikyn’s movements, attacks, and defenses.

* Surroundings: Aha, yay, you used them! ;D I like how it contributed to the overall confusion of the movements, where they were heading, where they were going, and kept up the realistic aspect of all the uncertainty.

To Work On:

Battle Schematics: I was confused again, because this may be my poor comprehension, about where Rikyn was in accordance with Erebos. While this is fine in terms of realism (I mean, c’mon, we have a fake earthquake occurring here), I still wanted to know where he was headed in relation to my character – you had him kicking out to the right and leaping and then kicking out again and I still wasn’t entirely firm on where everyone’s placement was.

Still, it’s not pleasant, and my laughter is stolen by the gritting of my teeth, my hind hooves hopeful in their swift dart to the right, an almost sidelong and swift gesture. It’s kind of hard to keep track of where he is in the shaking state of the world, and I don’t take time to look for him as I jump forward a step, angling the leap clockwise. I kick out again, the shoulder’s complaints slightly louder this time, curious as to whether or not my hooves will meet air or Erebos’ sinewy side. The buck is more meant to keep him away while I plot my next steps, but someone like me can’t help but hope for luck, even against someone who’s supposed to be his best friend.

I think the best thing to do is to keep it simple. You could always say he kicked out towards Erebos’ right (eliminating powerplay by stating intention, rather than telling me exactly where Erebos is supposed to be, etc.), and I can figure it out a little better. If I don’t know where he was originally, leaping clockwise doesn’t help me. XD

Otherwise, I still thought this was a nicely, well put-together post.

Grammar: Captain-Nit Picky comes to town!

"The world trembles in awe of us!" I jest, laughing as I always seem to want to be around Erebos. Laughing should have a comma after it, so it appears as: I jest, laughing, as I always seem to want to be around Erebos.

Only thing I really noticed. ;D

To Think About:

* Keep using those emotions!
* Staying on top of your directions. Depending on what you’d like to do, I’ve pictured the boys in a left to left fashion, but its always your call. ;D
* Utilizing surroundings.

Keep up the great work!

@Rikyn

Messages In This Thread
ignore remorse [Erebos vs. Rikyn] - by Erebos - 04-23-2016, 06:22 PM
RE: ignore remorse [Erebos vs. Rikyn] - by Rikyn - 04-28-2016, 03:34 PM
RE: ignore remorse [Erebos vs. Rikyn] - by Erebos - 05-15-2016, 06:45 AM
RE: ignore remorse [Erebos vs. Rikyn] - by Rikyn - 05-31-2016, 11:28 AM
RE: ignore remorse [Erebos vs. Rikyn] - by Erebos - 06-18-2016, 06:22 PM
RE: ignore remorse [Erebos vs. Rikyn] - by Rikyn - 06-27-2016, 11:52 AM
RE: ignore remorse [Erebos vs. Rikyn] - by Erebos - 07-03-2016, 08:21 AM