the Rift

[OPEN] the day is for honest men [First Official Order Meeting!]

d'Arcy Posts: 21
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 2 years :: Tallsun HP: 63 | Buff: NOVICE
Laine

The red girl was walking a precarious tightrope, and every day she was struggling to know when to move and when to be still, how to take the next step forward, and all the time wondering what might happen if she slipped from the narrow path she thought she wanted. On either side of this metaphorical canyon were two cliffs, one was childhood, the other was the adulthood she had cultivated a desire for: one of independence, one of power. From one side to the other stretched this tightrope she walked over the gaping cavern below. The abyss was more obscure than she might have liked; some unknown multitude of thousands of futures that some part of her wanted consider or explore. But she had set her path, and though she could not see where it led, she had chosen the the cables she would use to get her there. Knowledge, Cunning, Influence, Precision... Though she worked at cultivating only those things in herself, there were factors that threatened to overbalance and cast her, weak and vulnerable into the abyss she had barely escaped already.

It was other people.

That is where d'Arcy had first discovered a weakness in herself. The filly had cared freely, deeply, about her mother and brother and they had let her down. She considered it a weakness how vulnerable that depth of feeling had made her. It had given them power over her, and though she still could not seem to purge herself of it, d'Arcy resented it. There might still have been time, if the right person came along with just the right words, to change the little shadow's mind but it didn't seem likely. Her ambition was far too hungry and her heart already guarded against sentimentality and lately something about being in her childhood home chaffed. Her family was there, and Raeden, her teacher, but instead of leaning into their embrace the wary adolescent shied away. In the Edge she had seen what power was--when the King spoke, when the Goddess breathed--but the growing strength of the misty herdland left no room for children to make their mark. And that's what they saw her as, a child, when she was trying so adamantly not to be.

She was spending more and more time away from the Edge, taking short forays into the surrounding lands. There was an impulse, a rebellious want, to leave the safety of the edge behind but d'Arcy had never been that cavalier. She didn't know much about Helovia at large; besides her well-chaperoned trip to the borders of the Basin, she had rarely been beyond the shattered remains of the glass wall. Before severing ties, she wanted some type of plan, some other goal to work towards. She was smart enough to know that striking off into the wild unknown with no protection was foolhardy in the extreme and so she had carefully maintained her "home base" until she knew where to aim next.

Thistle Meadow was a safe option, and the centralized ground made it ideal for a kick off point for further reconnaissance. The red filly moved along the tree line along the meadow’s outskirts, the long shadows of the morning casting stripes of light and dark across her back. She knew anything worthwhile would most likely be found in the open ground of the meadow’s rolling hills, but d’Arcy was hesitant about exposing herself before she had a better picture of the situation. It wasn’t long before she spotted a gathering, just forming by the looks of it, centered around a hilly outcrop. It was a surprise to see Rikyn on the makeshift podium, but as the red girl stopped to survey the scene, she supposed it wasn’t entirely out of character. He looked all boldness and youthful pride, and though rather different from d’Arcy’s M.O., she had found it rather amusing when she’d snatched him out from under the territorial crosshairs of Raeden and Tembovu. Surrounding him were strangers (not that she could really say she and Rikyn were well acquainted) and so she approached slowly, sticking to the outside of the gathering. Her eyes lingered over each form, trying to use what she saw of pick out information on each and patterns among the group. All older than she, most unicorns... it really wasn't much; though what they all seemed to have in common was having met the darker stallion before. Under whatever name he chose to use. she thought curiously, watchful eyes fixing on him again. She allowed a bit of a smile "He tried to pass himself off as Calor when I met him, but perhaps he chooses a new one every day."

d'arcy
wear your heart on your cheek
but never on your sleeve
unless you wanna taste defeat
when I tell you that i love you
don't test my love
accept my love, don't test my love
cause maybe i don't love you all that much

Messages In This Thread
RE: the day is for honest men [First Official Order Meeting!] - by d'Arcy - 05-26-2016, 12:23 PM