the Rift

[OPEN] the weight of love

Vesper Posts: 46
World's Edge Filly
Filly :: Tribrid :: 14.3hh :: Two
Everly :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Kiki

I knew I’d been gone far to long and that mother was probably worried.  Worry bloomed hot in my gut, and at the sensation Everly let out a concerned squeak.  I just hoped mother understood that I hadn’t meant to be away for so long.  First there was the lynx kittens, and then the whole game with the mother fish, and then Everly had hatched.  By then it had been too late to head back north.  Everly hadn’t managed to peek her head out of her shell until the sun had already disappeared beneath the trees. 

It had been scary at first, terrifying really, the prospect of being alone.  I’d never been alone. Not ever.  Not even before I was born.  I’d always had mother and Virga.  It was only now that the true weight of what I’d done came crashing down upon me.  But before I could panic, before the crushing reality of loneliness could crash down upon me I realized that there was no wave cresting over my head threatening to drag me under.  Even though I was far from home, from my family, I wasn’t alone.  I would never be alone again. As if to affirm the thought, Everly let out a rather loud chirp for one so small.  Sensing my troubles, the little zephyr shuffled closer, knowing what I needed before I knew.  It was too late to travel now, so we slept there by the bank of the lake, nestled together in a pile of downy feathers. 

Everly was the one who woke me in the morning, just as the sun began to crest the trees, pulling on my bushy forelock and chirping directly in my baby-ears. I let out a less than ladylike yawn and rose on spindly legs, more than ready to make the journey home. “Time to go home,” I said, quietly, more for my own benefit than for Everly’s.  However she chirped in assent nonetheless, excitement filling the newly developed bond between the two of us.  The very same bond that had staved off the fear and the loneliness in the dark last night.

The little zephyr clung tightly my short mane as I navigated my way home in reverse.  I could feel her getting tired as we grew closer to the Basin so I quickened my pace, traveling as fast as was safe with a baby bird riding along.  It was then that I saw it, and the sight caused a gasp to escape me, startling Everly alert.  Curiosity and confusion flooded my head as Everly followed my gaze to the magnificent four-winged bird rising through the skies over the Basin.  “Look, Ev! Another whale! Like you!”  I only got a chirp in response but continued down the pass towards the metal behemoth that I knew meant home.  I didn’t even notice someone standing there, since I was too busy chasing after the bird that looked so much like mine until I almost ran into him.  I slid to a halt, abashed and out of breath, and looked up at the stranger.  “Is that your whale?!” I asked, panting after having run so far, looking from the stranger to the bird and back again.  Perhaps if I had been older I would have recognized the similarities between myself and the stranger.  Perhaps I would have put the pieces together.  For the moment, however, I had different priorities.

I needed to know about the whale. 

Vesper
the evening star
image credits

@Virga @Ki'irha @Mesec
(vesper thinks zephyrs are called whales because of something in her drop, fyi :X)

Please tag Vesper in every post.
Force and magic are permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.

image credit

Messages In This Thread
the weight of love - by Mesec - 05-16-2016, 12:38 PM
RE: the weight of love - by Vesper - 05-29-2016, 10:13 PM
RE: the weight of love - by Mesec - 06-04-2016, 07:12 PM
RE: the weight of love - by Virga - 06-18-2016, 08:59 PM
RE: the weight of love - by Vesper - 08-10-2016, 11:08 PM
RE: the weight of love - by Mesec - 08-11-2016, 08:04 PM