the Rift

[PRIVATE] I don't want to set the world on fire

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod

Protective wasn't the problem. He was probably more protective than was healthy, and would have preferred to seclude them both back to the caves they'd been living in amongst the Frostbreath Steppe, if it weren't for the cold. A herd was inherently more safe, yes, but also inherently more of a wide-painted target. The Bloodskald wasn't built for large herds, to be among them and fit in within all the moving pieces and vying ambitions. Simplicity and smallness, these were things he desired. The ability to be his own man, to move about as he saw fit and right (within reason), and a clear social structure that didn't present itself as a towering structure ready to crumble at the slightest perturbation.

As always, it made him angry that the moment things went slightly sideways, Ophelia withdrew and became defensive. Did she still not understand they were in this together? Even more so now that they were having a child? Did she not...inwardly, he sighed, wondering if he expected her to understand him too greatly without him explaining. Torleik didn't think himself complicated; there were only a few things that motivated him in life, and most of them revolved around family in one way or another. That Ophelia might have understood this by now was something he'd hoped for, but perhaps she didn't. Finally, these rumbling thoughts made their way to the surface and he shook his shaggy head. "Clever at politics as you are, love, sometimes it catches me by surprise when you don't realize the implications of your words," he murmured. "I know you don't see them clearly because you speak plainly to me and mean no other depth than what is said," the Bloodskald added, to show that what he meant there was no insult just...almost bemusement at how her candor with him somehow could backfire.

"When you tell me you want to go somewhere because you want to be safe, to have others protect us...I am a simple man, Phi. I was raised to protect my family and rely only on close brethren for aid. I have only Ulrik here to rely on; the herds here are..." Torleik trailed, sighing. He gave her a weak smile, trying to mimic the expression but aware that it was a poor emulation. "We are in this together. I love you, and you are carrying my child. There is nothing short of death that would keep me from you both. Ask of me what I think, what I want - don't just tell me what you want and then place the burden at my feet in a request to do it for you. I will do anything for you. But it would be pleasant, the reassurance that you would take into account what I might wish. As it stands, I know that look in your eyes. If I chose to say no, you would go to the Dragon's Throat anyway, without me - and I think you know I would follow, whether I wanted to or not."

The disappointment was clear as he finished those words. One day, perhaps they would be a strong unit, working together. One day, perhaps, they would be equals in this partnership. Torleik wondered if this was how his mother felt towards his father, hoping that one day he would see her as more, that they would be equal with each other. He missed her terribly and wished more than ever that she was alive now, that he could speak to her and ask her advice. The dark stallion sorely needed guidance.

He nodded to her suggestion that they should head towards the Dragon's Throat. "I could take us to the heart caves, but from there, you will have to lead. That was as far south as I have ever gone - other than the Veins," he murmured, glancing up at Irelyn wheeling in the sky. "And it has been some time since I ventured either place." The Bloodskald remembered the heat, the fear, and the reward of a new, precious life after that. It had been worth it, undoubtedly. Perhaps this was his new trial by fire: a slow, miserable burn in the hot sand.

It would make him a better man, surely. Right?

"talk talk talk"

"This winter breath, taste of death
Where iron meets flesh. we'll take it all"

Coding by Tamme with credits to Sevin | Art by Yewrezz

@Ophelia
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Messages In This Thread
RE: I don't want to set the world on fire - by Torleik - 05-25-2016, 03:55 PM