the Rift

[PRIVATE] I think I got it.

Rikyn the Puppeteer Posts: 549
Aurora Basin Lord atk: 7.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 4 HP: 70 | Buff: SWIFT
Duir :: Royal Cerndyr :: Earth Spirit Bunnie

A familiar voice is saying my name. It comes to me through the blur of pain, almost hard to discern, even harder to identify. It’s not until she’s almost on top of me, with that same panic in her voice as seems to always be there when we meet, that I know who she is. Slowly, I breathe in her sandy smell, the exhalation almost aggravated that she always sees me dying, never being awesome like I actually am.

Why does that bother me?

"Aelin?" I ask, like I don’t already know. The blood toxins coming from my seared flesh must be making me feel funny in the head. Everything is definitely full of spirals and sparkles. It’s too hard to get my eyes to stay open, so I let them fall shut again.

Look at me, she softly demands.

No, I think I tell her, currently laying in the Thistle Meadow of my mind. In reality, I don’t say anything, and am still semi-conscious on the stone of the Heart, drifting to and from the world of comfort I want to hide in, and the real one, that hurts.

Another set of hooves draws my eyes open again, a familiar smell rousing a tremor in my heart. I’d been so grateful when I’d woke up and he’d been gone.

I couldn’t fight him again, not like this. I can’t even get up. My muscles seize, my legs struggle to get me up off the ground.

‘You’re going to be okay,’ she’s still whispering, but she’s wrong. I’m not okay. I know that because my legs don’t do more than kick uselessly at stones which scatter, and my body drops heavily back down against the snowless earth.

‘Be still,’ says the voice of the Gaucho, but it’s not full of malevolence this time. It’s not exactly nice, either, but it does ease the clenched terror in my chest that he’s come back to kill me for stalking some weird guy. Unfortunately, the release of my fear also leads me to blacking out again, leaving me unavailable for the experience of his fire mending that which it had just maimed.

It’s probably a good thing. I might have screamed like a lady otherwise.

He’s saying something to me when I come to, and the pain is all but gone. A few sharp spots remain, and listening to his words, I can understand why. He’s made sure I won’t die, but he’s also made sure I won’t forget him, either. Blinking, I’m relieved to find that Aelin is in focus, rather than fading in and out of it, my gaze having been drawn to her as he’d mentioned her name.

I think he maybe wants me to say thanks, to him or her, maybe both.

The idea makes me want to puke. Instead, I roll over onto my belly, and then get up onto my hooves. I take a second to look over myself before I look at Aelin, not wanting to look at the big scary guy for more reasons than one. I’m left feeling very awkward and shaken, not knowing what to say, and wishing that, right at this very moment, the Time God would make me nobody again.

Please? I pray. I swear I’ll come by your shrine more.

He ignores me.

"Er, thanks," come my obviously heartfelt words (my ego screams and wails), because really, why should I thank someone for not leaving me mutilated? Seemed like giving appreciation to the wolves who didn’t manage to hunt you down. Still, I am thankful to Aelin, and, if I hadn’t considered her a friend before, I certainly do now.

Leaning closer to her, keeping one eye on Gaucho, I attempt my best to whisper in her ear while covering the movements of my mouth enough that he can’t read it (mother was too good at it for me to trust others couldn’t read lips too).

"They’re not gonna stand there forever right?" I ask in a muttered whisper (I wouldn’t be surprised if she didn’t understand a damn word). I ask because I wouldn’t mind getting to spend time with her again, maybe talking about how she knew I needed help, and why the Gaucho would do what a girl asked, anyway. I mean all three of them - his hostile bird, his snake, and his big, fire chucking ass.

It doesn’t cross my mind that maybe he’s a nice guy, that maybe he was just doing what he felt like he had to do to be a good leader. I think there are obvious reasons for this prejudice, and though he’s healed me, he clearly didn’t want to. He made sure to say it, even.

Image by Ghostly - Code by Tamme

@Aelin

Wishlist - Plots

Force/violence is allowed to be used on Rikyn permitted it does not permanently maim or kill him (PM me!).

Messages In This Thread
I think I got it. - by Rikyn - 05-21-2016, 10:58 AM
RE: I think I got it. - by Aelin - 05-28-2016, 08:57 PM
RE: I think I got it. - by Gaucho - 06-02-2016, 09:30 AM
RE: I think I got it. - by Rikyn - 06-08-2016, 01:12 PM
RE: I think I got it. - by Aelin - 07-14-2016, 09:20 PM