the Rift

Today is a winding road

Tamaya Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
T a M a Y a
"Today is a winding road"

Barely had my oh so eloquent words parted from the tongue before trouble doubled before my eyes. Emerging from the woodland backdrop like some beast of the wild, I spared a glance to this newcomer to the game and wanted nothing so much as to sigh in apprehension.

Now, call me biased if you will, but in my experience it is far more difficult to play women for fools than men. Stallions, while certainly powerful and cunning in their own right, were still stallions. In many ways they were predictable, ruled by their bodies in way that made them vulnerable to innocent smiles, casual touch and half-spoken promises. Where the most accomplished warlord might see naught but a pretty face however, his sister would likely see past a mask however well fashioned - guided by intuition perhaps, or more closely attuned to the actions of a fellow female. It was not always the case, but as I'd had bad experience with the stallions in my life so far, I was naturally inclined to be more wary to the vixen as she closed the distance and wrapped her sticky paws all over the young lord.

A glint of amusement flitted across blue eyes as she placed herself between me and Erebos, only for the colt to repeat the motion in turn. Noticing the touch of steel in the crowned girl's eyes I shrugged and turned my head away, removing the threat of deadly retribution from their proximity while simultaneously stepping away from the pair. Two against one were not odds I appreciated, but I was not so gullible as to trust strangers, no matter how affable they appeared. There was still space enough between myself and them to allow reaction in case something changed, and in any case... well, lets just say that waving weapons around was not quite part of the plan anyway.

"One is honored by the generous welcome of the fair mistress" I replied smoothly, inclining my head a fraction towards the mare. "Your Helovia sound to these ears as a land of marvel, well worthy of further exploration. Please, be assured that this is the only intent of this lowly servant, as the world is vast and full of wonder and this one has been blessed to witness only a fragment of its splendor."

I bowed again, slightly lower this time and tried for a reassuring smile as I regarded the horned adversaries from the shadows beneath the forelock. They were not exactly forthcoming with information, but I had not expected them to be either. What little had been said so far was informative never the less however, as was their presence in this backwash. If this indeed was the only way in and out of Helovia then these should be guards, recruiters or both, wardens of the gate so to speak with the purpose of allowing entrance or denying it, perhaps guiding my path towards either of these nations if I passed whatever requirements they went by.

Inwardly, I congratulated myself on the decision to not attack the young stallion. Even should I have emerged victorious from the bout it would have landed me in a sticky situation, maybe even a disastrous one. By opting to engage in conversation I had done myself a service and if nothing unforeseen happened, I might be able to continue my trek without further incident.

"Would it be presumptuous to ask for the guidance of such well informed travelers as yourselves? Surely the masters possess knowledge of where one might find marvels to please the eye, succor to appease the weary traveler and could divulge the secrets of where one would be wise not to tread. Your humble servant is low on means but assures she will repay such generosity in whatever way she can."

Through a graceful gesture of deference by head and hoof I indicated that I was placing myself at their disposal, and produced another smile; a curling of lips that did not quite reach the eyes.

I confess that acting is not my greatest suite. Though forced to learn as a smile and a gesture could win over those who were not impressed by the threat of violence, it always made me itch with impatience whenever I had to employ these tricks. Preferring by far the swift movement and decisive action of raids, battles and duels, long conversations such as these quickly had my teeth on edge, my skin ablaze with the longing for scrapes and bruises - nostrils flaring as if by taking a deep breath I would be able to smell the blood I so longed to spill. It would be easier by far to lash out, cut open the pretty skin of the pretty girl and watch her thrash and writhe as the poison upon my horn worked its gruesome magic, more pleasant by far to greet the smiling young stallion with bared teeth and flying hooves than to keep up the affable facade I had plastered onto myself.

But with no small regret I kept suppressing these impulses, instead passing my gaze over the horned ones, across the surrounding landscape and onto a small, fox-like creature I had only registered briefly before. The presence of it amidst so many larger beings was curious and strangely alarming, adding yet another layer to this encounter that had my thoughts whirling about, even as I appeared to wait attentively for a reply to come my way.

"Taking me to places I didn't want to go"

@Enna

Messages In This Thread
Today is a winding road - by Tamaya - 05-26-2016, 05:39 AM
RE: Today is a winding road - by Erebos - 05-29-2016, 08:35 AM
RE: Today is a winding road - by Tamaya - 05-29-2016, 12:45 PM
RE: Today is a winding road - by Enna - 05-30-2016, 09:07 PM
RE: Today is a winding road - by Erebos - 05-31-2016, 04:57 PM
RE: Today is a winding road - by Tamaya - 06-03-2016, 03:09 AM
RE: Today is a winding road - by Enna - 06-04-2016, 06:58 AM
RE: Today is a winding road - by Erebos - 06-05-2016, 05:35 PM