the Rift

[PRIVATE] when it gets dark out

Rein Posts: 44
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15hh :: 2 years
prissy
[Image: 56933a9cc0382]
R E I N

His father spoke, then stopped. The boy's head tipped innocently one side, his golden brow furrowed farther with each second that delayed the answering of his question. His heart began to to somersaults in his chest, aching sporadically with worry. What was it that caught his father's voice is in throat? What demons were strangulating the boy's only way to understand their situation? What emotions were flickering through the Clovenheart that the boy couldn't comprehend?

Rein watched his father's inky gaze roll over his body, pause at the fading scar on his shoulder. He had to restrain himself from flinching. Would his Dad question him for it the same way his Mom had? He associated no pleasant memories with the scar, except for maybe seeing the delight on that violet girl's face after the deed was done.

But he didn't get yelled at or questioned. The boy was met instead with earth shattering news. Leaving the Basin? Rein felt sick. His ears flopped to each side, his navy blue gaze slipping from the furry frame of his father to the ground. He felt deflated, and looked it as well. His only father, leaving the only home the boy had ever known. Is this growing up? He thought sorrowfully.

He looked back up to his father, smiling meekly at the Clovenheart as he spoke of love, and clarified what had scared the boy in the beginning: Ashamin wasn't leaving him. He understood, but oh, it hurt anyway.

Rein was ready to leave their talk as it was, but before he muster out any goodbyes, his father spoke again.

"And if you want, Rein, you can come with me."

His jaw fell apart, his eyes widened, his brow raised, his ears pricked. The fragile boy who stood before the Clovenheart morphed into the blood-stained prince he truly was. Come with him? Where? The boy thought first, but the cream and gold face of his mother appeared in his mind. Oh, he could only imagine the heartbreak in her eyes if he left her.

The blessing and curse of parents who loved you, but not each other, was the choices. And now, he had to choose between them.

Screw that, he thought, his brow furrowing. I choose myself, his mind whispered, sealing his fate with a lonely kiss.

"I—I want to leave the Basin," He stated firmly after a stuttering start. To say the words out loud felt desolating. "If I went with you, would you be okay with me going off on my own sometimes?" And then eventually, going off on my own forever?

But he left that part out.

son of a thief and a priest

[Image: 56b8020492908]

Messages In This Thread
when it gets dark out - by Rein - 06-08-2016, 07:21 PM
RE: when it gets dark out - by Ashamin - 06-09-2016, 08:50 AM
RE: when it gets dark out - by Rein - 06-09-2016, 10:17 AM
RE: when it gets dark out - by Ashamin - 06-13-2016, 04:08 PM
RE: when it gets dark out - by Rein - 06-13-2016, 05:23 PM
RE: when it gets dark out - by Ashamin - 06-14-2016, 01:38 PM