the Rift

[PRIVATE] Bruises

Elspeth Posts: 40
Absent Abyss
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 hh :: 7 years
Sarah

Ever since that bizarre meeting with the rest of the Basin, I had been feeling a little less safe there than I had been when I first arrived. Although my greatest fear was no longer invasion (though it was still a great fear of mine) it was now fear over what destruction may come from within in a herd so divided, so angry. Did I really want to live somewhere where I feared both might happen? Calder reassured me that he would keep me safe but that really wasn’t his job, it was my own.

This walk I was taking ended up being considerably longer than I intended, I was driven further south more for the need to see green, leafy trees again than I was the need to get out of the Basin for good. A temporary relief while I tried to sort through everything.

Not that travelling on my own seemed to make any more sense, of course. I still found that I was jumpy, shying away from everyone else that I happened across on the way - even going so far as to drift into a few thickets on the way so that I could avoid them.

Afterwards, I was always annoyed with myself - each and every time - but it didn’t change the way my heart raced when I saw someone approaching and I didn’t recognize them. Why were there so many winged creatures in this place? Their existence still baffled her - was Helovia where the gods came to rest on this plane? All gathering here in masses when they weren’t appearing in stories and legends in other parts of the world.

I wasn’t proud of it, but as I was walking and a pegasus flew above me I spooked - running forward to escape… well, there really wasn’t anything to escape from but the whoosh of the wings as they flapped startled me.

By the time I got my nerves under control I was crashing into a shallow lake, the waters still cool in the early spring and splashing some sense back into me as I disturbed the lilypads and the peaceful afternoon. “Get a fucking grip, Elspeth!” I shook my head and chastised myself, coming to stand in the water that just reached the lower dip of my barrel as the ripples started to settle around me.

@Graasvoel <3
[Image: 5706a739b3d7b]
please tag Elspeth in all replies

Messages In This Thread
Bruises - by Elspeth - 06-14-2016, 08:20 PM
RE: Bruises - by Graasvoel - 06-17-2016, 04:53 PM
RE: Bruises - by Elspeth - 06-27-2016, 09:43 PM
RE: Bruises - by Graasvoel - 06-30-2016, 08:43 PM
RE: Bruises - by Elspeth - 07-06-2016, 09:03 PM
RE: Bruises - by Graasvoel - 07-13-2016, 08:40 AM
RE: Bruises - by Elspeth - 07-24-2016, 05:11 PM
RE: Bruises - by Graasvoel - 08-27-2016, 03:41 PM