the Rift

[PRIVATE] Maybe I'm a different breed

Ru'in Posts: 39
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.3 :: 0 - Birdsong
Odd

If Raeden though that her niece was uncommon looking, she was in for a surprise.

Romina had left without her hulking brother, but the boy didn’t mind. It was after all, one of the many games that they played. Romina would trudge off somewhere and it would be up to Ru’in to find her. He had a knack for tracking, but even so, he was just a boy, and sometimes it took him hours to find his delicate sister, holed up somewhere, waiting to admonish him with lectures. Yet there was never any meanness, and Ru’in welcomed the challenge. He liked being able to ferret his twin out no matter where it was she might try to go. She was after all, the only one he truly cared for. Down the road, perhaps he would look back on these games and wonder if Roma hadn’t always been plotting and scheming. She had taught him to always be able to find her – was it possibly so that she could charge through the world always knowing that someone would be there to find her? To save her? Was he her safety net? Ahh, but Ru’in’s mind was not nearly so calculating as to be able to even conceive of such thoughts.

And even if it could? If he did think such things of his twin?

Well, he wouldn’t mind one bit. He was hers, after all.

The snow was easy, and as Ru’in dutifully followed the tracks, he wondered if perhaps Roma was playing a trick on him. Tracking her in this was nothing compared to when she hid in rocks or would gallop down rivers leaving him almost nothing to go on. This was like a clear runway. Hearing Alice howl in the distance was a dead giveaway too, though he knew that her appearance wasn’t Roma’s fault. Like Roma, he didn’t like the hellhound’s presence, but for him, it was only because he saw himself as her protector. Why should the royal creature even bother? He had her covered.

And given his size and mutations, he wasn’t really in the business of needing protection himself.

Ahead, he saw a pale ocean-gray shape standing near his twin. The cerndyr at her side solidified in his mind the reason why Roma would have stopped to chat. Though the boy didn’t feel like talking, he did feel like being in the presence of his sister, and so despite his solitary nature, he stode forwards to greet the pair.

Even as a boy, Ru’in was already far larger than he should have been. It was clear that he would overtake the heights of both his parents with ease, and likely before he even reached the age of two. The tusks that protruded from the sides of his face were long and sloped, reflecting brightly against the sunlight that dappled all around him. He said nothing as he approached, merely focusing his bi-coloured gaze on his twin for any indication that she might have something to say to him, or need something of him. She was after all, his first and only priority.

All four of Ru’in’s three-toed hooves came to a stop, and he regarded his aunt with a neutral expression of apathetic boredom.

So make your siren's call
And sing all you want
I will not hear what you have to say
Image Credits

Messages In This Thread
Maybe I'm a different breed - by Raeden - 06-14-2016, 11:31 PM
RE: Maybe I'm a different breed - by Romina - 07-01-2016, 04:18 PM
RE: Maybe I'm a different breed - by Raeden - 07-01-2016, 09:18 PM
RE: Maybe I'm a different breed - by Romina - 07-12-2016, 01:09 AM
RE: Maybe I'm a different breed - by Ru'in - 07-14-2016, 06:00 PM
RE: Maybe I'm a different breed - by Raeden - 08-09-2016, 09:18 PM
RE: Maybe I'm a different breed - by Romina - 09-01-2016, 10:00 PM