the Rift

[OPEN] What kills you '

Caneo Posts: 133
Hidden Account atk: 7.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3h :: 6 years HP: 61 | Buff: NOVICE
Ophiria :: Dragon Snake :: None kae
It's the simplest of love songs,

(the boy dreams — )

It begins with a girl; these things always do. Here, the girl is one part flame and she watches the horizon with eyes darker than the spaces between stars. Her voice smells of brushfires, but nothing in the meadow burns (does he?). He and the girl, they are always in the meadow. He is always a boy, and he is always lost.

He is in the meadow now. He forgets how old he is. He knows his belly is empty, empty again, and he moves like a wraith for water. And he is silent, gaunt, and empty as the sky while he stands at the banks of the river and watches the snake hunt her meals. Every day now, the snake grows a little longer, a little faster, a little more terrible. She slips along through darkness without sound, her tongue tasting for blood. She detests the sun.

His heart beats. He wanders from the river bank, leaving the serpent to her work. If she is little, if he fears to lose her to the careless tramp of hooves or the hungry mouths of bigger things, he doesn't show it. He is looking at the stars, instead, which once held meaning for him —

"Look for me."

He can't remember how much of the girl was a dream (he's looking now). Sometimes he thinks he's been in search his whole life, but when he skirts the meadow, when he dares to sully its face with his hooves, he does not find her there. Maybe their last meeting was a lie, something he crafted for himself out of hope, treacherous hope, that thing he always knew better than to trust too much. He feels strange now, empty and new, sullied and bent, a sharp glint of something cast off from a larger, long-forgotten monument. He has grown sharp with wear.

Sharp!

A little lance of pain; something tears inside. And Caneo's head snaps around; he returns to the present with a snap, a rubber band pulled too far. His body stills. His eyes narrow. His tail is a whip, cracking once at his back. There is nothing —

“O!” he says, his voice unusually mirthless. Where is she? He wheels, and steps once toward the river bank, vibrating. And all around him is dark, dark, dark...

But he no longer dreams.

but it's all our hearts can take.
robby shulz @ flickr.com

Blah. Okay, his snake is in moderate danger due to something; I thought it would be interesting for him to realize how vulnerable she makes him. If someone (hopefully xD) wants to join, they could almost step on her or something, or I'll have it turn out to be a bird trying to catch her in my next post, whatever, just adding some drama and potential for development into Caneo's life. I don't want her killed or maimed; she is very small and cannot withstand much damage. This is an open thread!

* violence & magic use always permitted *
Do not tag Caneo unless you are starting a new thread you would like me to see! Thank you!

Messages In This Thread
What kills you ' - by Caneo - 06-19-2016, 01:09 AM
RE: What kills you ' - by Aquila - 06-19-2016, 10:50 AM
RE: What kills you ' - by Caneo - 06-23-2016, 11:33 PM
RE: What kills you ' - by Aquila - 07-14-2016, 12:28 PM
RE: What kills you ' - by Caneo - 07-24-2016, 01:05 PM
RE: What kills you ' - by Aquila - 09-10-2016, 10:56 PM