the Rift

[PRIVATE] I Can See Clearly Now
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
but somewhere here in between the city walls of dyin' dreams
It was cold. It wasn't even summer yet—so why did it surprise him how cold it was? When his frosted hooves had stepped into the soft muck of the bottom and it had first caressed his fetlocks it had been like a pleasant, exotic tingle up his legs.

And then, it had just been an icy punch in the gut, and cold, iron bars around his lungs. The air froze in his throat, his heart screamed out, once, as the shock of it made its way through his system even as his long legs kicked smoothly beneath the clear surface.

It got better after a few seconds. Blood vessels constricted and his heart pumped out warmth, and he let out a snort as he paddled towards the center, when—"Wait up!"—she cried out from the shore. Obliging, he paused. It had been a long, long time since he had gone swimming. He probably hadn't done it since Glacia had nearly drowned, and that had been, what, one or two years ago?

(Because she was three and a mother already—)

The grief she had known as she gave birth had nearly destroyed her, just as the grief in his third year had almost destroyed him. If he thought the gods petty enough to dabble in curses he'd be tempted to put it down to magic.

It was difficult to think of in the sunlight, though. The contrast between his warm neck and the cold water was like an erratic slap in the face each time it rippled higher, but he liked it—it was the most alive he had felt in a long, long time. In all the darkness, in all the grief, there could also be light, and that was why he allowed himself to sigh, to let go of thoughts of death and suffering without feeling guilt.

That was why he laughed, freely, joyously, as he fought the awkward mechanics of his body to turn and face her as he waited. Her tail, like his, had strands of it floating towards the surface, and her coat was slick and dark, plastered tight against her skin. It had soaked through her neck above the waterline like a collar, and second by second the sunlight struck more glints in it as the mud and dust dissolved and floated away. Whenever it caught her eye, unhindered by eyelids or her long forelock, it reminded him of rubies.

He wished he could tell her she was beautiful without being afraid of what it might mean.

"I feel a bit stupid about it, but I was briefly surprised at how cold it was," he told her sheepishly when she had come a little closer. The constant movement in his legs to keep him afloat was more than enough to warm him now, and he found himself actually enjoying the feeling of his heart thundering in his chest. Awkwardly, he turned back towards the center and made his way towards it. With little but his white neck, head, and the occasional glint of withers and a rump above the surface he looked a bit like a mutated swan. "But I like it," he went on after a moment, his breathing slightly harsher than usual as his lungs and heart fought to keep his large body oxygenated. His ragged mane, seemingly perpetually stuck with a burnt-off section in its middle, was either plastered to his neck or spread out on the water like a halo. "I had forgotten how good it feels to swim."

I had forgotten about a lot of things.

[ @Eliaren ]
Mauja
the white queen
image credits
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Messages In This Thread
I Can See Clearly Now - by Eliaren - 06-22-2016, 08:23 PM
RE: I Can See Clearly Now - by Mauja - 06-23-2016, 06:47 AM
RE: I Can See Clearly Now - by Eliaren - 06-24-2016, 01:13 AM
RE: I Can See Clearly Now - by Mauja - 06-24-2016, 12:16 PM
RE: I Can See Clearly Now - by Eliaren - 06-24-2016, 04:08 PM