the Rift

[OPEN] try for better luck

Elspeth Posts: 40
Absent Abyss
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 hh :: 7 years
Sarah
Elspeth
I pride myself in being reasonable, someone who isn’t about to dodge an issue when it is presented. In the Threshold, by way of goodbye, Thranduil had brought up “the Reaper” accompanied by this look as if he had just won a contest between the two of us. Honestly, my eyes rolled back so much in exasperation they practically did a backflip into my skull and came out the otherside.  I don’t even know where to start, really, but the implication that I was on anything resembling regular speaking terms with that odd creature that was lead in the Basin was laughable.

I think we all can attest to how well I handle the strange.

“Helovian culture,” I quickly explain to Leif - I’m not bothered by what our departed golden friend said but I’m not interested in dodging things, remember. “Occasionally involves giving pet names to those they consider noteworthy.” I beckon him to follow me, my voice clearly stating how ridiculous I found the entire practice. “The lord in the Basin is known as the Reaper though, honestly, that sounds like something a male would call himself as he tried to be intimidating.” As I pick my way through the forest, I pause - abashed as my words echo in my mind. “Sorry, no offense.”

Good job, Elspeth. As if cursing at him in the Threshold wasn’t enough.

As we made our way north, I occasionally tried to point out features and fumbled for the names of the places we passed. I soon abandoned this practice, however, when I realized I had no idea if what I was telling him was right or wrong. I was trying to remember what Calder and Zandora were teaching me the last time I made this trek and what little pieces I had picked up since then. Were we walking through the Thistle Meadow or the Whispering Field? There were thistles and the grasses did make a curious whispering noise with the wind moving through them, so it could be either one.

It seemed I would not be leaving Helovia today. I oddly felt a little better now that there was someone else who was arguably more out of place than I had been feeling. Hopefully everything I said about the Basin was going to prove true. It was safe. Probably a little bit safer than most places! For now, I kept my personal doubts under wraps.

The warm weather made the journey enjoyable and before too long we’re at the border of the Basin. “Well, here we are! We have to wait for one of the leaders of the herd to accept you, but I don’t think there will be any trouble.” I didn’t want to just, yell out without warning him so once I alerted him to this idea I whinny for someone, anyone (though hopefully someone I knew, the golden mare who welcomed me would be perfect).

As we wait, I should probably try to be helpful. “So, uh, do you have any questions? It might seem pretty daunting, but I'm still learning too so you're not alone.” I give him a small smile, trying to be encouraging. 
give me the sun that shone
Image Credit
table by Sevin

for @Leif and @Rexanna and any :D
[Image: 5706a739b3d7b]
please tag Elspeth in all replies

Messages In This Thread
try for better luck - by Elspeth - 07-06-2016, 07:14 PM
RE: try for better luck - by Leif - 07-07-2016, 04:28 PM
RE: try for better luck - by Rexanna - 07-08-2016, 12:27 PM
RE: try for better luck - by Elspeth - 07-11-2016, 09:07 PM
RE: try for better luck - by Leif - 07-12-2016, 01:11 PM