the Rift

[OPEN] try for better luck

Elspeth Posts: 40
Absent Abyss
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 hh :: 7 years
Sarah
Elspeth
A smile brightened my golden brown eyes as Leif mentioned how he should hold his tongue for his questions, and I was quick to shake my head and try to persuade him that method wasn’t likely to be the best. “That is true, you’ll pick up on things as you go… I’m still learning about Helovia myself, though, and I can assure you that I’d happily answer any questions you might have. It’s not easy, being a stranger. I’ve asked two others now whether they were gods since I arrived here, because their appearances were so strange to me, so anything you ask won't be so odd to me.” I punctuate this little story about myself with a light laugh, hoping he’d take heart in it. I may look more like I belonged here in Helovia but it was still different. It still wasn’t home. I was an outsider looking in and I had not yet decided whether I wanted to stay like that or not.  

At his question about whether it was easy to live with horses - I frown a little. Not in reaction to the words, of course, but in concentration - it was not something I had ever been asked before and I wanted to give him as honest of an answer as I could. “I don’t think it’s too hard to live among horses… but I’ve never had to describe it before.” And then my smile gave way to a warm smile again. It was easier to try to be encouraging now that I had gotten over my shock, now that I was enjoying his easy company and polite questions. They gave me something to focus on and I couldn't believe how amazing it was to have even the illusion of being helpful. “Everyone keeps to themselves mostly, unless they want company. Occasionally there are meetings or gatherings where everyone in the herd gets together.”

Before I was able to answer his question about the antlers - which drew a wider smile from me - we were joined by Rexanna. I kept my gaze on Leif for a moment, gauging his reaction to get another horse and nodding infinitesimally to reassure him before my attention shifted. Rexanna was a beautiful sight, with her coat and chains, and the kindness she had showed me when I was new to the Basin (and still!) had eased my wariness about her appearance.

I was incredibly thankful that either the golden mare did not have the same reaction I did, or she was much better at hiding her emotions when confronted with the unusual.

Rexanna answered the question about the males, and I nod again - more noticeably this time - in confirmation before adding. “Normally we greet each other with simple words or by exchanging breaths, or bumping muzzles with those you know well.” In demonstration, I take a slight step forward and reach out my muzzle to Rexanna to demonstrate.

And then, at the question directed at me, I smile brightly. “Yes, this is Leif - I crossed paths with him in the Threshold and offered the safety of the Basin, like I had been.” I had never actually brought someone back to the Basin before which made me doubly thankful for Rexanna’s presence - she seemed to move so smoothly into the role of accepting someone. Hopefully that would be an ease on Leif as well.

More questions are asked - and I don’t add any more, out of fear of making things overwhelming. But I'm ready to answer any of his questions that I might be able to.
give me the sun that shone
Image Credit
table by Sevin

jeez I was so excited to reply to this and didn't even realize Rexanna had posted WHOOPS
@Leif <3
[Image: 5706a739b3d7b]
please tag Elspeth in all replies

Messages In This Thread
try for better luck - by Elspeth - 07-06-2016, 07:14 PM
RE: try for better luck - by Leif - 07-07-2016, 04:28 PM
RE: try for better luck - by Rexanna - 07-08-2016, 12:27 PM
RE: try for better luck - by Elspeth - 07-11-2016, 09:07 PM
RE: try for better luck - by Leif - 07-12-2016, 01:11 PM
RE: try for better luck - by Rexanna - 07-13-2016, 11:35 PM
RE: try for better luck - by Elspeth - 07-19-2016, 11:12 PM
RE: try for better luck - by Leif - 07-20-2016, 11:22 AM