the Rift

[OPEN] try for better luck

Elspeth Posts: 40
Absent Abyss
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.2 hh :: 7 years
Sarah
Elspeth
I smiled warmly as Rexanna suggested touring the Basin as they talked - a much better idea than standing around at the entrance like I was intending to do! Once again I was thankful for her presence here, for her knowledge about the herd and welcoming new members. If it had been left to me, Leif and I might have lingered at the borders until we had both rotted away.

I fall into step with Rexanna, careful to make sure that Leif was coming along too. From our journey here I knew that we would have no trouble keeping pace with one another.

The golden mare by my side went on to explain the different ranks that were here in the Basin. In the silence that followed, it took me a moment to realize she had left it so that I might also answer his question. I quickly speak up to make up for the lapse, though I don’t have nearly as impressive of an answer as Rexanna. “I used to be a healer, before I came here. I gathered herbs and learned how to use them to aid members of the herd when they were injured or ill.” As always, remembering what I used to be - what I used to have - is a knife in my gut and heart. But, no, that’s not quite right because the pain is always there. The reminders of the loss simply refresh the wound.

This play of emotions, I know, will be clear to any that are watching my face - I’ve the worst poker face. And I can only hope neither will comment on it because I cannot begin to explain to them the meaning for it.

So instead I move on, offering a small smile to my companions. “I haven’t quite decided what path I will follow here in Helovia… there are more options than I am used to.” I had never heard of sneaks or crafters before coming here and had to admit I was impressed with how those odd ranks seemed to be so crucial to the herd functions. There was a crafter to weave blankets and other textiles to keep members warm during the cold months and thieves like Rexanna to gather information and, of course, steal when required.

“Did you live in a herd before you came here, Leif? Or were you on your own?” I find it curious that he had not had a job and though there are certainly more questions I would ask him, this seemed like at least somewhere to start.

Of course, as I thought about it afterward I realized that I shouldn’t be the one asking questions - Leif was the one that needed to learn more about us. It was too late to take it back now but I reminded myself to keep my curiosity in check for a little while longer.  
give me the sun that shone
Image Credit
table by Sevin

@Leif
[Image: 5706a739b3d7b]
please tag Elspeth in all replies

Messages In This Thread
try for better luck - by Elspeth - 07-06-2016, 07:14 PM
RE: try for better luck - by Leif - 07-07-2016, 04:28 PM
RE: try for better luck - by Rexanna - 07-08-2016, 12:27 PM
RE: try for better luck - by Elspeth - 07-11-2016, 09:07 PM
RE: try for better luck - by Leif - 07-12-2016, 01:11 PM