the Rift

Tide's low [Ovidius v. Ashamin]

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen

Perhaps if not for the glowing of his own heart, painted by a lover in shades so bright that they seemed radioactive in her absence, Ashamin might have been spared the grisly sight of her injuries. The marking, however, was not so kind. Ironic that it was the most tender part of Ashamin's being that subjected him to the punishment of witnessing his crimes.

It became clear to the Clovenheart in the moments that he heard Ovidius cry out a needless warning, that she fell, recovered, and lifted up a face marred by blood, that he was a monster, and not the kind that could be forgiven, or ignored, or shoved into a deeper part of himself in order to be outshone. No, Ashamin the Clovenheart had the potential for just as much evil as he did kindness, and no amount of good deeds could outweigh the bad that were surely to come. Such was the cruel manner of fate.

Thus, frozen in this moment of horror, the Clovenheart could only stand dumbstruck as the mare moved closer to retaliate. Even her response, though, was weak in comparison to Ashamin's display of force. Perhaps Ovi had misjudged, or perhaps she (despite her injuries) simply did not have enough malice in her small body to fight back with any aim to hurt. Ashamin could only speculate. Whatever the reason, when her horn struck his left side it only smacked it with a firm thud—hard enough to bruise and irritate the flesh, to sink the hooves on his right deeper into the sand as he tried to maintain his balance, but not nearly as damaging as his own strike upon the mare.

Vaguely, in a moment of devastation’s passing, the painted buck considered that once—before the muscle and thick skin had built up around his heart—the injury would have hurt him much more.

"Don't worry about ME!" He roared then, his voice suddenly sharp. The words were not tender advice, they were a command issued as he attempted to sidepass to his right and distance himself from Ovi.

Behind him, Rakt's gold eyes were wide with the disease that was innocence lost and regret first born. The blood colored cerndyr stepped back, away from the fight, as if suddenly hurt by the pain he'd helped cause. He turned to face his brother, but found Lochan staring straight ahead, unfazed.

At least this time, the black cerndyr said to no one, into the only void fit to receive the horrible truth delivered by a voice he'd finally grown into, no one is dead.

But Rakt heard the words. Ashamin heard the words, and by the cold pain of their accuracy he was struck numb. What could he say to that? What could he say, that he wasn't a murderer? That once, on a day darker than any other he'd lived through, a mare hadn't merely taunted him and revealed a monster? No, to say such things would be to lie. Ashamin the Clovenheart was many things, perhaps even many evil things, but he told himself he was not a liar.

He responded with rage, as he always denied that he did. With whatever vestiges of his civility were left, though, he did his best to contain it. Distancing himself from Ovidius and her wounds—so horrible, painted in such an obvious red—had been in some ways a selfish act. If he was further away he could not see her pain so clearly, nor could he cause her any more. Fearing that he did not know his own physical strength, the Clovenheart turned instead to his magic.

"If someone strikes without thinking, that is their error to make and your opportunity to run, Ovi!" Ashamin insisted, shutting his eyes tight to avoid looking at her, to avoid seeing the disappointment that was surely in her gaze. "If you do not think you can attack without taking more injury than you will give, you keep your distance," he went on, trying to slow his breathing, to calm his fury. In his own heart his magic began to stir, unpredictable and new. Ashamin had utilized the manifestation magic before, but never in its more powerful state.

Perhaps he was foolish to try it now, but maybe... maybe she would be hurt less, this way. This was the lie he told himself as he pulled lightning from Ovi's chest and formed it into a sharp eyed fox, adorned with the same spikes the mare bore. This was the lie he told himself as he shifted the shock from the being's skin to its inner core, and prayed for the end of his own existence.

For Ashamin the Clovenheart was many things, perhaps even many evil things, but he would only lie to himself.

""

Ashamin

WC: 800/800
PC: 2/3, 0/D
Teaching Notes:
- Word Count: You were (luckily) under it, but be sure to always post your wordcount at the bottom of a post! Use microsoft word to count how many words you have to make sure you aren't over 800. Judges will check but you should have it posted there as well as your post number, just as a courtesy.
+ Noting differences: You did an awesome job of this! Feel free to get even more specific in the future, and taking advantage of what aspects of your characters are better when considering your attacks. That said, because you're writing from the perspective of a fairly inexperienced fighter, Ovidius' thoughts seems really in line with what she would already know and what she would be learning from Ashamin. So good job! You clearly did your research when you noted things about Ashamin's build that often go missed.
- Damage: It's so hard to take the right amount of damage and balance numbers with inclinations for drama. And it's also hard to stop feeling like you're always taking too little (which I know is something I had to get over.) In this case, I think you may have overdone it. As a wise teacher once told me, injuries to the face, mainly the mouth area, are deadly. If a horse breaks its jaw then it can't eat and it starves, and that's a pretty big deal. You didn't have Ovi break her jaw but a nasal injury is close so I thought I would bring it up, and it's something that could cause breathing issues. I think, simply because Ashamin's damage stat isn't really much higher than your average and because you also took a heavy side bruise and cut up knees, you could have scaled down or done away with some of your injuries. Remember that it's a balance, and you can think of it as each injury having a "number." As is, that face smash is about a 6 (if a bone is broken, it's always going to be a 6) and then that bruise is maybe a 2 or even 3, hard to tell how serious it is, and then the knees are bleeding so that could be a 3ish? You've then got a total of anywhere from an 11-12, and I only rolled a 6 so you're taking about double damage there. It also helps to really describe injuries so it's more clear how severe or not they are, IE the bruising and knees. Are they minor surface scrapes, or are they deep? Words like that will change an injury and help specify for a judge. All that said, now that you've taken these injuries you should commit to them. Remember that a 6 is something you should be feeling throughout the fight, and that with her nose smashed up and bleeding (though again, further description was needed here because what's the blood from, outer scrapes or her nostrils or???) Ovidius might be thinking twice about biting attacks and trying to keep her face out of the way of further danger.
-/+ Environment: You get a plus and a minus here, because it's awesome that you used it and considered it consistently. That said (and here it's tough that you're sparring someone who grew up in the ocean state :P) I think sand isn't as tough as you think. Even when it's wet it's a pretty forgiving surface, and while it's true horses have a lot more force behind them when they fall, sand doesn't scrape you up so easy. Also don't forget the time of day and all that jazz!
+ Emotion: It's there and it's good, man. Of course it's there, Ovidius is an awesome character and you sure know how to write the feelings. Keep up the good work. :)
+ Prose: Very clear to read! I didn't come across any typos or missed words (but there was one in my post, I'm a bad teacher) and that is great. I didn't have trouble understanding anything about your post but it didn't feel so technical that it was boring, either.
+Positioning: Just a quick thanks for using directions, and encouragement to keep it up. This is unbelievably helpful.

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Messages In This Thread
Tide's low [Ovidius v. Ashamin] - by Ashamin - 07-11-2016, 03:39 PM
RE: Tide's low [Ovidius v. Ashamin] - by Ovidius - 07-11-2016, 05:42 PM
RE: Tide's low [Ovidius v. Ashamin] - by Ashamin - 07-16-2016, 06:36 PM
RE: Tide's low [Ovidius v. Ashamin] - by Ovidius - 07-26-2016, 01:08 PM
RE: Tide's low [Ovidius v. Ashamin] - by Ashamin - 07-26-2016, 06:54 PM
RE: Tide's low [Ovidius v. Ashamin] - by Blu - 08-17-2016, 10:46 PM