the Rift

[PRIVATE] hope is but a four letter word

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

V O L T E R R A

The touch between them feels odd. Ever since his youth, Volterra has used touch as a way to communicate, whether it be the tentative and affectionate nuzzles towards his sister or the frenetic, lust-fuelled nips towards his conquests. His skin is a canvas crying out to be daubed with the paint of those he meets, and he feels that he can learn far more about someone by judging the lines of their body with his muzzle than he can through words.

But this...this is new to him. Compassion and empathy are two things that he has always considered weaknesses, and thus has attempted to purge from his bloodstream. Yet it has never been easy for the beast to smother his emotions, as proven by his volcanic temper and shameless bodily hungers, so despite himself he feels bubblings of weakness begin to brew beneath the surface. He thinks that he would never feel these things towards a stranger, but Sikeax is not a stranger. They have been together in the most intimate way two creatures can possibly be, and have created life together, albeit unwittingly. If he cannot feel these odd emotions towards her, when can he?

So he allows the touch to linger for a moment before pulling away. She thanks him, and he nods his acknowledgement.

Then comes the small matter of his offer.

I thought you hated herds. Why? He looks away, desperately racking his brains to try and put his emotions into words. "I don't hate them, per say, I just...distrust them. Save for my dragons, I have lived the majority of my life alone. It is all I know. I have never had to rely upon anybody but myself, nor have I ever had my freedom curbed by the confines of a herd." These are all things that make him reluctant to join a herd. Following commands, relying on others for things he can just do himself, sharing...they are alien to him.

"But I told you of my ambitions during our previous meeting - I wish to rule one day. I would make a poor king if I had never experienced herd life prior to taking a crown, however. I need to learn how herds work, how they function, and what my role is within them. For a while now I have been contemplating joining the Hidden Falls, as that is the land that I feel most affinity towards...But if my help is needed elsewhere, my plans can change." Heavens, it almost sounds like he's thought this through. He hasn't. He rarely thinks anything through. Like most things in his life, his offer is impulsive, ill-thought-out, stupid, rash, reckless.

So why does it feel so right?

She asks why he would suddenly decide to join, and under her. He feels he has already answered the first part, so he focuses on the second. "Why not under you? I would rather serve beneath somebody I know than a complete stranger." It goes against his sexist beliefs to listen to a mare, but he knows that is how herds function - they are not necessarily lead by a stallion. "And it will be good to be so close to Tyrath, Astarot and Valdis."

She continues, offering him the position of Gladiator. It sounds high-ranked, and immediately the brute's brain begins to contemplate. It would be excellent experience to hold such a rank, to have people below him whom he must command and marshal, and fighting is the one thing he is good at....He is silent for a moment as he ponders, and wishes his dragons were close by enough for him to ask their opinions. But they have blacked out his mind in order to concentrate on the hunt, and Volterra is alone.

This decision has to be his. It is possibly the biggest and most momentous decision he has ever made. It is life-changing. Indecision clouds his features; is he ready? Will this hamper his plans to take the Falls, or aid them?

In the end, he answers how he always does; on instinct, with what feels right, with what feels good.

"Yes. I will do it."

image credits

@Sikeax

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Messages In This Thread
hope is but a four letter word - by Sikeax - 08-30-2016, 09:22 AM
RE: hope is but a four letter word - by Volterra - 08-30-2016, 11:00 AM
RE: hope is but a four letter word - by Sikeax - 08-30-2016, 11:54 PM
RE: hope is but a four letter word - by Volterra - 08-31-2016, 06:41 AM
RE: hope is but a four letter word - by Sikeax - 09-04-2016, 01:20 AM
RE: hope is but a four letter word - by Volterra - 09-04-2016, 08:50 AM
RE: hope is but a four letter word - by Sikeax - 09-08-2016, 11:28 AM
RE: hope is but a four letter word - by Volterra - 09-11-2016, 09:45 AM