the Rift

[OPEN] My heart is a ghost town [Iskra birth]

Ampere The Mother of Companions Posts: 719
Dragon's Throat Sultana atk: 9 | def: 11 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14 hh :: 6 years HP: 73 | Buff: DANCE
Kygo :: Green Cheek Conure :: None Blu
Hope the wound heals but it never does, that's cause I'm at war with love
Never let a wound ruin me, but I feel like ruin's wooing me
An egg rocked steadily back and forth on the sands in the pre-dawn twilight. Next to it, Ampere laid quietly, the blue of her gaze a strong light in the fading night, watching the movement with a steady, though distant, fixation. By now this was a well practiced routine; her body and her prize tucked away in some deep recess of the throat, hidden by whatever sparse shrubbery and canyon overhands could be found. Her hide was darkened with sweat, and her flanks still heaved with the effort, but this labor had been brief and easy compared to the others. Motherhood was drawn into her body now, inescapable in some aspects, no matter how strictly she trained her muscles or thinned her fat.

Stillness descended upon the egg for a time. Curiously Kygo observed from his perch in a nearby bush, until finally his fascination could be contained no more and he hopped across the sands towards it. Larger than him the great egg was utterly intimating to the small parrot, but undeterred he approached it, sizing it up as he reached onto the very tips of his toes, head tilting back and forth to grant each eye a fair view of the curved and smooth surface. Gently he reached out with his beak, a faint click connecting shell and bill. His eyes pinned rapidly. Encouraged by the lack of response from the egg and Ampere, he swung his beak against its side again, this time resulting in a loud clack as the two hard surfaces collided. Abruptly the egg quivered again, thrusting with pent up force that sent it rolling over its sandy lip and down towards Kygo.

The conure unleashed a fearful squawk as he backed up hurriedly and then was bowled over by the pegasus egg, his body pushed into the sand where it left a vague indentation. Leaping onto his wings as soon as the egg passed and the pressure let up, Kygo complaintively settled back int he safety of his bush, feathers puffed up and mussied.
The commotion drew Ampere's focus more to the present. In a light time she might have laughed at the parrot's misfortune, but the antics didn't even stir the weakest muscles of her lips, which instead remained thinly pursed in a line of deep thought and mild disapproval. Meanwhile the egg hadn't rolled far, stopped soon enough by another swoop of sand that cradled it in place. It had however, begun to crack at long last.

Blinking away something wet, Ampere watched patiently as the shell steadily broke away in shales and fragments, until at last it gave way under the internal beating and splintered apart, spilling out the wet babe it'd been so desperately protecting.
Ampere's nostrils flared at the tang of the birth fluids, and with an almost robotic response she hoisted herself to her feet and began to clean the fresh foal.

Gone was the terror that had gripped her with her first two three eggs. Absent was the eagerness that had accompanied her last two eggs. Instead Ampere felt a deeply rooted grief that strangled this moment into suffering. Ampere wanted to embrace this babe for all that he was; an embodiment of her and Gaucho's love, but instead she her tongue rolled around the ash in her mouth and her chest tightened around the hollowed organ that pulsed within. She couldn't love this son when she could barely look at him, the memories of the Wildfire too easily caught within him. She couldn't love anything any more.

He will never meet his father, Ampere lamented, lashes tangled with saline.
A pause as she breathed in the babe, then quivered with despair for the familiarity that she found fresh upon him.
But he will know of him, she decided with something firmer, something terrifyingly close to hope.

Ampere

image credits

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Messages In This Thread
My heart is a ghost town [Iskra birth] - by Ampere - 09-09-2016, 12:24 AM