the Rift

"free agent" is just another term for "loser"

Mercutio Posts: 12
Absent Abyss atk: 3.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.3 :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Laine
The little red panda seemed well pleased and that made the grey man smile in earnest. That was precisely why he traded so often in simple compliments and gallantries: to see the little surge in pride or flush of pleasure on another’s face was its own reward. Sure enough, the panda did not disappoint and nor did her companion. It would have been one thing if the gold patched stallion had seemed uncomfortable or angry at the casual remark (or the wink). Mercutio was quite used to brusque answers and angry brush offs when it came to other’s who didn’t share his broad tastes. He simply didn’t let it bother him. Nine times out of ten his flirtatious bent had no real motive behind it, it was simply his nature, to entertain and find things that entertained.

Mercutio’s mirthful amber eyes watched as Cera’s gaze dropped, as he shuffled and seemed to hug himself tight with his wings. For the span of a heartbeat he though that the gold might chafe at the attention but instead he smiled shyly and Mercutio realized that Cera was merely bashful. It was immeasurably endearing. Still, since there was other company he thought it better not to push it, to much and he was certain that Cera’s wings might swallow him entirely.

Full of sympathy (for he himself had not always been so cavalier) the bearded stud took a metaphorical step back, aiming his manner more towards amiable that provocative. He cocked one of his hind legs to fall into a more relaxed pose, his dark face alert and attentive, ready to hear a bit about where he was and where he might go. The easy manner wavered however, when his gaze fell back to Zyanya and saw that her lovely eyes had filled with tears.

Internally he panicked, at once certain that he had done something to offend her. The pillars of his ears twisted and fell back, his face falling a look of concern but Cera had spotted her distress and had already asked her if she was alright before he could utter a word. (Cute and Kind? It had never been a combination Mercurio could resist with ease). He followed, cautiously with his own self deprecating smile “Now there, dear heart, I did never mean to upset you. I’m afraid I’m all mirth and no matter, but you shouldn’t take it to heart.” It was the best he could do as far as offering comfort. Even if he had known what had upset her, he’d never had much practice as a counselor… A jester, maybe, but that was as far as his comfort zone stretched.

He couldn’t help but be grateful when both surged on, leaving (or trying to leave) the moment of unpleasantness behind them. Perking up again, he gave both the mare and the other stallion due attention as they did their part in explaining the basic lay of the land. The four headlands were not particularly of any permanent interest--what herd would want him after all?--but he had enough curiosity to at least try and see all the new places even if he didn’t stay in them.

It was Cera’s last comment that cast a look of earnest surprise on his features. Lo and behold the bashful prince had his own stores of playful wit! Mercutio’s brow arched, admittedly thrown for a moment before his face broke. His bark of laughter, wasn’t cruel or harsh but rich and obviously appreciative. There was such an honest glow of naive charm about the pegasus that the unicorn was rendered all but helpless. He was drawn in, like a bee to a flower, and never thinking himself in danger of stinging yet didn’t see the harm in buzzing around…not if the flower seemed to enjoy it. “You’d find me a poor addition to a herd, I’m afraid, I’ve got wandering feet and have never managed yet to make myself useful!” He dipped his head graciously to Zyanya. “I’m sure your home is quite a jewel, but as the days were getting cooler I was already heading south. Perhaps I could visit the Basin and see for it myself in a season is more forgiving? On  the whole I’ll stick to the wilds and keep myself from being a nuisance, but perhaps Cera and Ilaria will consent to being my temporary tour guides?” His grin found the other pair again “If it’s not too much trouble…”
Oh, and while the king was looking down—
the jester stole his thorny crown
Mercutio

Image Credit

Messages In This Thread
RE: "free agent" is just another term for "loser" - by Mercutio - 09-16-2016, 11:29 PM