the Rift

[OPEN] Respect

Erthë Posts: 440
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Filly :: Hybrid :: 14,2 hh :: 3 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Chan

Smoke from the burning thicket still hung thick in the air, black and acrid with a stench like guilt or, if one was more morbidly inclined, burning flesh. Though an illusion brought forth by her own mind for the most part, Erthë moved with the distinct impression of being coated with ash, the kind of thick, oily residue that just didn't wash off but rather rubbed off on everything she touched. She felt dirty, tarnished in a way that four battles had not managed to accomplish, and the memory of the magical thickets last words played on repeat in her head over and over.

"It's not my fault I have thorns! It's not my fault I have... It's not my fault, it's not..."

Moodily, the young mare kicked a pebble that littered the path and watched it bounce off into the underbrush, the rustling of dead ferns and dry grass grating in her ears. No, it hadn't been the thickets fault that it had to die. So who's fault was it? Was it the Lady's for directing them to destroy it? Was it Tembovu's fault for wanting a barrier just in case someone in the future might want to attack the Edge? Or, could it be her own fault for not saying more, for not doing more to prevent what had happened?

The thing that really disturbed her about the whole affair was how easily she had been swayed. First by the words of the enemy (it was hard to think of the innocent white doe as an enemy, but Erthë forced herself to use the term anyway), reasonable and pleading. Her heart had softened then, given in, allowed dark roots to take hold within her soul. Then Tembovu had spoken, and Alune, and her resolve was shaken yet again. She had raised her bow once more, had aimed it at the pure illusion, had intended to let fly the arrow even though her heart still wasn't in it...

Erthë sighed. She was beginning to understand what the Lady Moon had been talking about, when she said it was hopeless to try and please everyone. She hadn't wanted to make the thicket sad, she hadn't wanted to disappoint her King or teacher, hadn't wanted to let the herd down... so in the end she was letting herself down by doing half-assed things for half-assed reasons. It wasn't even the fact that she had intended to kill the magical creature in the end that bugged her, but that she had moved to do it because someone else said she could.

It left a bad taste in her mouth and an itch in the throat that had nothing to do with the smoke.

In the heat of the moment, she had made several poor decisions. Most couldn't be fixed, but maybe there was one thing she could set right. Intentionally or not, Erthë had been rude to Alysanne and Rohan and the lingering guilt over that in addition to everything else was making her stomach sour. Apologies usually wasn't something she did, but in this case... It didn't do to have bad blood with the new Queen, nor with the Sergeant.

Now, where to find them... The pale young hybrid wasn't too familiar with either person. They were faces in the crowd, people she had seen and registered but never really talked much to. It made it harder to seek them out, but Erthë was persistent, and determined to comb the entire forest if that's what it took.

This was the only way she could think of to make amends... laziness on her part would not be permitted.

Big girls cry when their hearts are breaking
image credit to Neaqmir on deviantart.com

@Alysanne @Rohan

Hope you don't mind that I tagged you, I was hoping we could thread! :)

~| Use of magic and violence is always permitted |~
~| Please only tag in opening posts |~

Messages In This Thread
Respect - by Erthë - 09-13-2016, 07:39 AM
RE: Respect - by Alysanne - 09-14-2016, 07:29 PM
RE: Respect - by Erthë - 10-16-2016, 10:10 AM