E
P
I
P
H
A
N
Y
As I wandered the lands set before me, I found a soft pain in my heart. I’m not sure how it had happened, but I felt as if I had lost all that I could have hoped for. What I was seeking in the strange stallion I will never truly know. After all, we never seemed to further ourselves more than mild greetings. Still, there was something about his visage that stuck with me, something about his promise to appear should I ever call upon him. I had not found any such need, though I found myself thinking of him more and more as of late. I doubted that I could or would ever see him again, and even if he truly would come to my call, I couldn’t think of a situation in which I would do so. I let a soft sigh escape my silken maw as blue eyes traveled to the trees surrounding me. I lifted my tiara and I felt low branches press against the yawning bone that nested there. I carefully shook the leaves loose, the flurry of colour bringing me a moment of delight. It was the autumn season and the trees were beginning to turn, creating a symphony of varying hues around me. My plume swayed lightly behind me as I picked up my pillars in a bit more of an excited fashion.

Even if I would not see the great stallion again, there was no reason to dwell upon those thoughts. The world had so much more to offer me, if I was constantly living in the past, in a solitary moment, I would miss living that which was right in front of me. I gave a satisfied snort, as if the ferns needed to know that I agreed with my own thoughts. I continued forward, my feathers picking up small leaves from the ground as they floated from their perches to the forest floor. I could imagine that my banner was full of them behind me, with the way it floated about just above the earth. I closed my eyes a moment, trusting my step to be sure upon this strange, yet well worn path. I conjured up an image of my inky pelt, dashed with cream, my extremities gathering the golden and sunset hues of the autumn leaves as they traveled, almost as if the season itself were bringing me to this place. I smiled; it was a pleasant image, to say the least.

My bodice swelled with sweet breath and peace as I opened my pools once more, reflecting the soft blue sky that shone between the fingers of the trees far above me.  It was a very pleasant day, the weather still holding warmth from the summer months, but not suffocating the living; more like a comfortable hug from one close friend to another. A light breeze passed by every so often, just as the sunspots shining through the trees might be getting to stifling, something I’m sure the small creatures found as great a respite as I did.  My audits pricked, listening to the rustle of the inhabitants of the forest around me. I could pick up the indication of at least three avian families, and I recalled the passage of a few hares some steps back. A fox slipped through the underbrush to my left, no doubt out hunting for its next meal in hopes to feed its young, should it have any to care for.  It was reassuring to see the world working in tandem with each other.  The birds brought seeds to the forest, made strong by the insects that shared their aerial home, and the birds in turn fed the hungry predator, who fed the earth and the insects when their time was at an end. Each creature played their part in the great epic that was this life; like poetry in motion.

It was almost disheartening to think that many of these creatures might not make it through the harsh winter. I was a large beast, and even I did not enjoy the snowy months. They wouldn’t be far off, though it felt as if the seasons were only just changing. I had found that being distracted by the niceties of the weather was a good way to forget the hunger and the pain of the cold months on its heels. More than once it felt as if winter was upon me before I noticed the nights had become icy and the plants had all but perished. I shook my pelt, trying to shake bad memories from my mind. This year I would be more observant, and this year, perhaps I would have a herd mate or two to find comfort in.

As much as I enjoyed the solitude and the ability to openly reflect with myself, I was beginning to become sore with my own company. I desired friendships that ran deep, a kinship with those around me that wove strong bonds into my heart. I had had those once, in my family, however loose they were. I was finally becoming old enough to understand just how much I took for granted as a filly. Even if my herd did not necessarily speak well of me, they still would have been at my side should I need them. At least, I would have hoped so.  These past years alone had helped me realize many things about myself, to become comfortable with whom I was, regardless of my lineage. I was ready, in heart and soul, to find a herd that would cherish me as I would cherish them. To perhaps, one day, find a love who would think of me and a child as their greatest treasure.

I chuckled, speaking to no one in particular, “Yes, Pip, a child is exactly what you need right now; and a big strong stallion to protect you from the horrors of the world.” I felt the melody of my laughter leave my chest in a bright tone, carrying across the forest. The small joke lightened my soul, even if the thought was true in some regard. Love was certainly on my mind, but I’m sure it was simply because I was quite lonely; that was something I knew would come with time.  Time only comes with friendship, and that is what I truly desired above all else; friendship, and the kinship of a herd.

===
Word Count :: 1070
Muse :: Fairly well!
Notes :: Y’all can have as much fun as you like with her, I hope you enjoy! Anyone can respond, but Falls or Edge preferably if you'd like her to join your herd!

Speech

Image Credit

Messages In This Thread
Serenity in Epiphany - by Epiphany - 09-20-2016, 01:05 PM
RE: Serenity in Epiphany - by Ilios - 09-26-2016, 10:29 PM
RE: Serenity in Epiphany - by Lyanna - 09-27-2016, 11:03 AM
RE: Serenity in Epiphany - by Epiphany - 09-30-2016, 10:12 AM
RE: Serenity in Epiphany - by Ilios - 10-04-2016, 01:01 AM
RE: Serenity in Epiphany - by Lyanna - 10-07-2016, 08:36 AM