the Rift

If you care to take a dare

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

V O L T E R R A
HE SAYS "OH BABY GIRL, DON'T GET CUT ON MY EDGES
I'M THE KING OF EVERYTHING AND MY TONGUE IS A WEAPON"

It strikes him as he's running towards her; he's put too much force into the attack. If he hits her....she's so small, she could shatter. There's not pulling his punches, and then there's annihilating her. He can't do that. He needs to train her, not destroy her.

But Volterra knows there's no time for second thoughts on the battlefield. The tiniest indecision can turn the tide of a fight, and changing your mind in the middle of an attack is suicide.

Too late.

At the last moment, he slams on his brakes. As his hooves churn up the ground in a splattering mass of mud and filth, he silently swears at himself for his fucking weakness. His sudden stop causes the muscles of his right foreleg to tense and twinge painfully with the shock of the movement, and he loathes himself for his inability to do what he needs to do. He needs to train her, but how the hell is he supposed to do that when his damn empathy makes him second guess himself? Too hard his strike may have been, but she would have learned from it. It wouldn't have killed her.

He's never intentionally stymied one of his blows before; he's never had misgivings during an attack. Normally, the moment he sets foot on the battlefield he becomes....something else. A monster. Any morals he does have are swiftly smothered beneath a rising tide of rage and hell-bent desire to win; he becomes a sweaty, heaving mass of berserker flesh, a bloody-minded warlord without a care for the innocent skin he's pulverizing. He becomes the beast, fuelled by victory and driven by the feral thrill of domination.

Not here. Because this is Erthë, his usual blind fury hasn't seized hold of him. He hasn't been able to hide his feelings beneath an iron wall of anger like he usually does. There's only his beating heart, the blood that pumps behind his eyes, and his fucking morals.

As it is, she evades him anyway. Even if he hadn't given himself the fighting version of a cockblock, he thinks she would still have got out of the way. "Excellent!" he booms. Given his sudden skid to a halt, her bite sprawls towards the right side of his chest rather than the fleshy skin of his elbow, and because of his jerking movement her teeth only just nip a portion of skin just in front of his right foreleg. It hurts, but it is not crippling. "Good, Erthë. Your teeth are valuable assets in a fight, so use them often. Your hooves, too. Rearing up and kicking out at an opponent is very effective, as is bucking at them."

Volterra does not remain still as he talks. He swings his body to his right, attempting to bring himself face to face with the young mare. There's a gleam in his eye and a slathering of sweat on his body - the day is not warm, but the stress of controlling himself is taking its toll. Still, he is...having fun. He has never had the opportunity to teach anybody before, and he always imagined that he would do so with his own children. This isn't quite the same, but it is still enjoyable in its own way. It is no secret that he loves battle. He adores the slap of flesh, the howl of an injury, the scuffing of hooves on dirt, the reflection of sun off sweat. He even enjoys the pain, the days afterwards when each wound tells a story, the lingering thoughts of victory and the thrill of knowing there is something he is actually good at.

If he can impart one ounce of that joy to Erthë, then he will have succeeded. Fighting isn't just about attack and defense - it's about the raw emotion that comes with each blow, the savage pleasure that only a select few can gain from such a bloody sport.

"Your foe isn't always going to be so kind as to attack just once, however. You need to learn how to handle simultaneous attacks - it requires a swiftness of thought and sharpness of mind. Watch my movements again to guess what I will do, and decide which of my attacks it is safer to take if you cannot evade both. " As speaks, he flings himself forwards again, but instead of leading with his chest he instead leads with his teeth. He attempts to plant a sharp, but not overly brutal, nip upon the filly's velvet muzzle, hoping to bruise the tender area.

Simultaneously, his right foreleg flicks forwards, attempting to smack it into the unicorn's left knee. He does not put enough force into it to break the limb should he hit, but he hopes to make it hurt.

2/3 - 797 words

image credits

Spelling/grammar/prose - Perfect again! This section is pretty redundant for you haha as you're obviously an accomplished writer, so all I can say is keep up the good work. I didn't spot any typos at all, and you had some more beautiful sentences.

Emotion - Same as above. I love how you write Erthe, she's a joy to read, and I can really feel how she's feeling during the fight. You should do really well in this section!

Attacks - Your attack was clear and well-defined, and I always love nice biting attacks! I can't complain at all about your attacks in this fight, they've all been really clear and descriptive. You're not overmoving, so overall you've done a great job :D And I feel like these are the worst notes ever lmfao but I literally have nothing bad to say!

Some other attack ideas for you, though, could involve her using her assets such as her wings or horns. Especially against an equine like Vol, these species-related assets could make for some interesting attacks.

Damage taken - Critical misses can be a pain to react to (not that I'd know, I don't think I've ever had my opponent roll one lmfao) so I think you did the right thing in just being vague about it. I would say to err on the side of caution and just have your character dodge the attack, but also give clear reasons why they dodged and not just say that it missed (as this could be construed as GM/PP). You did this really well, and described her movements excellently. If I roll any more critical misses, I'd say to do a similar thing - have her dodge off her own back, then leave your opponent to decide how they take the damage to themselves.

Erthe rolled another 1, which is why I had her bite only do a small amount of damage. Also, don't feel like you have to take the damage to where your opponent intends - I didn't take her attack to his elbow because it would have impeded his movement, which would have been hard to fit into a 1 roll.

Other - In your final attack post, you may want to remark on whether she's tiring, and how that affects her. As it's her first fight, you could really play up whether she's tired, or whether she's actually found it quite easy. You could also mention the surroundings, and perhaps muse on the fact that the ground is quite hard and so isn't sapping her strength as much as, say, fighting on sand would. Again, though, this was a pretty perfect fight post, and I'd definitely say you'll score highly! :)

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Messages In This Thread
If you care to take a dare - by Erthë - 10-16-2016, 08:41 AM
RE: If you care to take a dare - by Volterra - 11-01-2016, 03:02 PM
RE: If you care to take a dare - by Erthë - 11-01-2016, 05:46 PM
RE: If you care to take a dare - by Volterra - 11-05-2016, 01:33 PM
RE: If you care to take a dare - by Erthë - 11-06-2016, 02:42 AM
RE: If you care to take a dare - by Volterra - 11-16-2016, 01:31 PM
RE: If you care to take a dare - by Erthë - 11-22-2016, 01:34 PM
RE: If you care to take a dare - by Blu - 11-23-2016, 09:34 AM