the Rift

Blood on my name

Roland Posts: 230
Aurora Basin Phantom atk: 7.5 | def: 10 | dam: 2.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: 8 yrs HP: 60.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Glo

The biting cold of early morning winter air no longer seemed so chilling, the sting of an icy breeze didn't dig claws into his skin, send shivers across his spine. Roland might as well have been radiating warmth, his chest the cage for a golden sun, pulsating with light, with elation. He would weather any storm, any war or plague, for her sake. He couldn't imagine anything he would not do, if it would keep her by his side.

No feeling he had ever experienced could compare, no sense of triumph, no satisfaction gained of accomplishments and victories, of successful schemes and trickery. Never before had he felt so invigorated, so ignited and alive. Roland had always been a stranger to the love of his parents, bereft of the camaraderie offered by siblings, never having touched, tasted, known the feeling of family, of belonging, and yet the Songbird was all of it combined; his home, his safety, his comfort. A reason to stay, to prevail, to be better. Whatever he had spent so many years looking for- a search that had compelled him to wander, to stray and stretch beyond the reaches of one land and into the next without settling, whatever it was he had always sought but never found, couldn't even put a name to- he had found it in her.

Not even Lena's request, murmured into his skin along with the first tunes of waking birds, could dampen his spirit. In the back of his mind he had told himself he would never return to the Basin, that he could not, after such a graceless departure. But under a hopeful gaze, with the knowledge that she wanted to keep him, to have him remain with her, he could not imagine turning her down. He had thought he might retreat into the shadows of the woods, to take time to himself, time to readjust, to reacquaint himself with the land he had once called a home. That he would need a few days, maybe more, to sort through the thoughts in his mind, decide how he would pursue life from this point forward. A part of him wondered if he was ready to be looked upon by the eyes of his herd mates, to face speculation and perhaps accusation. Did he have explanations to give, excuses and answers to offer up, reasons for his disappearance?  Would they welcome him back, or spurn him?

No seeds of doubt sewn within his mind seemed to hinder his determination. He would face them all in defiance, would carve a space for himself within their ranks again, for her sake. Roland thought of the cold and snow he would return to: one of the few things he, admittedly, had not missed in his time away. There would be other trials and tribulations to face in time, but they did not seem so terrible, so daunting, so insurmountable when he looked at Lena, saw the glimmer of hope and happiness in her eyes.

He could only smile and nod, touching her cheek once more, still reveling in the contact, in the feeling of being loved, cherished, valued. "Always."

@Lena

Push your luck if it makes you a promise
that turns con men honest.

Image Credit

Messages In This Thread
Blood on my name - by Roland - 11-07-2016, 07:22 PM
RE: Blood on my name - by Lena - 11-11-2016, 09:09 PM
RE: Blood on my name - by Roland - 11-13-2016, 12:36 AM
RE: Blood on my name - by Lena - 11-13-2016, 07:35 AM
RE: Blood on my name - by Roland - 11-14-2016, 10:16 PM
RE: Blood on my name - by Lena - 11-15-2016, 07:19 PM
RE: Blood on my name - by Roland - 11-18-2016, 07:37 PM