the Rift

Dante's Inferno

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

Continued directly after this thread. 

For a mind as philosophical and cold as Isopia's having been offered express permission for what she was about to do should have been enough. It should have swept away all doubt, any budding flowers of remorse or wrong-doing, and any hesitation.

And yet it did not.

Despite the fact that the aged and weary stallion before her had stated her case with a logic that even she found undeniable, something stayed her. Was it mere inexperience? She had sparred before, fought against opponents whose skills demanded respect, but she'd never fought to kill before.

Well, we all know that isn't exactly true. But that wasn't the same. That life did not have a face, did not have a mouth with which to plead, and did not bleed blood that she could see. There were no eyes which had slowly closed as life departed from them, only a faint thumping in her stomach which had slowly ceased. 

I will forever remember this act of kindness, he had said. And, I am so very, very tired of this life. I have no more need for it, and it has no more need of me.

Would her Father, were he here, give in to these demands? Her mind recalled stories of Midas, the former leader of the Falls who had been granted immortality, and yet whose life had been taken away by her Father. That morsel of insight suddenly steeled her nerve. 

If he can do it, so can I, she thought to herself. Though it was unclear if this was meant to be a pep talk, or whether she was merely absolving herself of wrong-doing.

"I hope you are right and that the next life is all that you seek." Isopia said, taking a breath, and closing her eyes for a moment. In any other battle, to do so would have been to give her opponent an unnecessary advantage, but she knew that despite Virgil's insistence that this would have to be a fair fight, that he would not attack her now. 

Hubris, who sat a few meters away on a pile of stones, folded his arms over his chest and whistled a low and sad note. Like Isopia, he didn't necessarily think what Virgil was asking was wrong, and yet some part of him wanted to go find a healer, go find a God, go find someone who could talk him out of this. But he could see the deep-set lines in the man's face and hear the weariness in his voice. There was no pulling him away from this, and yet the dragon still felt an overwhelming sadness. 

" I will try to make this quick." Isopia said. Now she did look like the demon Virgil had taken her to be earlier: as dusk fell, the fires from the heart reflected against her causing ominous shadows to stretch away from her, and edging her body in red. The air was warm and still, though there was very little light to see by now that the sun had sank down past the mountains that loomed in the distance. 

Grabbing for her rock magic, Isopia thrust and ill-formed mass of stone towards Virgil. She aimed for his head, thinking that perhaps if she knocked him unconscious she could spare him the pain and agony of dying. 

Setting: Helovia's heart, early nighttime, Birdsong.
Attack: 1/? (fighting until Virgil dies)
WC: 554

isopia
in places deep with roots entwined
i live among you, well disguised

Image Credits

Messages In This Thread
Dante's Inferno - by Isopia - 01-03-2017, 11:20 AM
RE: Dante's Inferno - by Virgil - 01-17-2017, 05:05 PM
RE: Dante's Inferno - by Isopia - 01-17-2017, 07:05 PM
RE: Dante's Inferno - by Virgil - 01-17-2017, 09:21 PM
RE: Dante's Inferno - by Isopia - 01-17-2017, 10:05 PM
RE: Dante's Inferno - by Virgil - 01-18-2017, 07:52 PM