the Rift

[OPEN] Ouchies [Foal Lessons]

Lyanna the Windswept Posts: 313
World's Edge Queen atk: 7 | def: 11 | dam: 4.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2 :: 5 years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Kyra

let the winds erase me,

like the memory of a kiss

The first to arrive is Yael, and Lyanna gives the small golden mare a warm smile. “Of course I don’t mind,” she says. Because really, the more the merrier. And besides, Yael was part of the healer’s ranks anyway. There is not reason she shouldn’t be there, or anyone else. Lyanna still needed to organize adult lessons as well, though she planned to go over slightly more dangerous herbs and their antidotes as a topic for that meeting. Largely how to administer antidotes, because she did not trust Kaos and whatever he might be up to.

Maude is the next to arrive, and to Lyanna’s slight disappointment, the only one. In fact, Lyanna hadn’t seen Gawen or any of their nurses around lately. She knew their ranks were sorely lacking, but still, she hadn’t expected quite such a poor turnout. Perhaps she needed to frequent the Threshold more, and spend less time tending the garden. “It seems Maude that you are our star pupil.”

She gestures then to a few different herbs fanned out on the ground. “I thought we could go over the uses for our more common plants in the Edge. That way, if anyone in the Edge needs help, you will be able to identify and use some readily available items.” She gestures first to a small pile of items clearly pulled from a cedar tree. “Each piece of the cedar tree can be used for different things. If you have the time, or access to the garden, the oil of the cedar tree can be used topically as antiseptic and a sedative. For quicker uses, the tips of the leaves can be soaked in water and drunk to treat coughs. The leaves can also be broken down into a topical infusion and used to treat most skin conditions.”

She pauses for a moment before gesturing to the next pile, which is very clearly a pile of moss. “Sphagnum moss,” she says, pointing to a green almost fuzzy-tree like piece of moss, “retains water and can be used for drinking water in times of need. Many other mosses can as well, but sphagnum can literally be wrung out, so it also serves as a rather useful sponge for cleaning wounds. All the mosses in the Edge can be used for dressing wounds as well, as they are naturally sterile.”

Lastly, she nods to the final pile of ferns. The first one she points to is a coarse-textured, medium to large-sized leafy green piece. “Sensitive fern can be eaten to treat infections and to help restore a mother’s body after giving birth. It can be used topically to treat sores as well. Bracken fern, though it looks similar, has larger leaves and can be eaten to help with weakness and ease headaches.”

It was quite a lot all at once. So she waits for a moment before adding, “Questions? Or things in particular you want to know about? If not, I was thinking a little quiz perhaps?”

lyanna

let these waters takes me

Image © Rhiaan

@Yael @Maude

Please tag in all posts
Magic use/power playing is okay, but check before serious injury/death
Image by Kiki

Messages In This Thread
Ouchies [Foal Lessons] - by Lyanna - 02-11-2017, 07:08 PM
RE: Ouchies [Foal Lessons] - by Yael - 02-12-2017, 04:41 PM
RE: Ouchies [Foal Lessons] - by Maude - 02-20-2017, 11:39 AM
RE: Ouchies [Foal Lessons] - by Lyanna - 03-03-2017, 07:44 PM