the Rift

[PRIVATE] run this town

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

It does not surprise him when Ampere reveals that the last time the herd had been stable was beneath Gaucho's reign. Volterra might personally have disliked the man purely based upon his treatment of Confutatis, but that doesn't mean he cannot respect the Wildfire's achievements as king and warlord. He'd ruled the Throat for many years and his abilities on the battlefield are, as yet, unmatched, although if Volterra continues in a similar vein to his current one then he may well overtake them. It is obvious that the herd adore their fallen leader, which is perhaps why Sikeax's perceived underachievements had been taken so badly.

It is a surprise, though, when she reveals that she was once a leader alongside him. He should have known, he supposes, given her political abilities. As she mentions being a firm leader, the stallion finds himself nodding in agreement. "I agree. I personally favour a firm but fair leadership style - willing to listen and to consider the herd's opinions, whilst ensuring that they know I am their leader. The Throat strikes me as the sort of herd that will not accept a leader they perceive as weak, so we must ensure we earn their respect and work hard to keep it." Again, he thinks of Sikeax. He knows she is not weak, but her inactivity and lack of willingness to make decisions had turned the herd against her. Volterra's physical presence and battle prowess will hopefully prevent that, but he must back it up with his abilities too.

His ears prick and a small smile spreads across his jaws as she speaks of a warrior nation. "Why, Ampere, it is like you have read my mind," he rumbles, approval glinting deep in the fathomless crimson of his eyes. "I want the Dragon's Throat to be spoken of with awe, known for its hardened warriors and its ability on the battlefield." That had been largely the case during Gaucho's reign, and Volterra dreams of the day he will lift the Throat back to those glory days.

At the mention of alliances, he casts his mind back to the meeting with the Basin. Judging by Ampere's face, her opinion of the place is no higher than the Indomitable's own. "I would suggest caution around the Basin. Hotaru and one of the herd's women came to the Throat a few months back and sought council with Aithniel. Things did not go peacefully - it appears the Basin has some skeletons in its closet that it would rather not be unearthed, not least the fact that it has attempted to tear the wings from pegasi children in the past." The thought makes him glower. "I cannot be sure how things were left, but I think it would be safe to assume that we are not allies. I would be unsurprised to see their sleuths attempting to steal from us - we must be on our guard." He stomps a hoof, thinking of possible thieves attacking his home. "With the Edge, I see no reason for us not to reaffirm our relationship with them. Indeed, their king owes me a favour after I once helped return one of his wandering children to him."

The mention of a fighting contest makes the smile widen and he beams at the blue mare, eyes blazing with ruby fire. "And yes, a fighting tournament would be splendid. Perhaps we should wait until we have bolstered our military forces, though, as it would be dreadfully embarrassing to be humiliated on our own sands." At the moment, he wouldn't trust any of the herd's warriors save for a select few to uphold the Throat's good name on the battlefield.

The conversation moves to ranks, and the leviathan nods again. "I would suggest that we perhaps re-evaluate our highest ranks once a year. Forgive me for saying this, but I have noticed that certain individuals maintain their ranks based on their name and past deeds alone, whilst doing little to deserve it. If we monitor their activity throughout the year and they know we will not hesitate to demote them should they fade into the background, they should be more inclined to remain active." He is thinking of Cera, Sohalia, Ophelia - all loyal Throat members with ranks befitting their name, but none of them around much. During his days as Gladiator Volterra had been guilty of not forcing his warriors to do everything they should, but he does not intend to repeat that mistake now he is Sultan. Inactivity will not be tolerated.

Then, Ampere moves onto sneaks. The titan tenses, half-fearing that she will suggest they use them often, take from anybody that they wish. This would be a bone of contention, as Volterra loathes the act of stealing and would, if he had his way, abolish it completely. It is a great relief when the spark-mare instead echoes his own sentiments, and his thick muscles visibly relax. "It is a relief that you feel that way, Ampere. I was beginning to think that I was only horse in Helovia who disapproved of stealing and who believes that if you want something, you should be willing to fight for it. It would not sit well with my conscience if we allowed our sneaks to freely take what they want from the vulnerable or even from other herds, even if doing so would swell our own stocks. I believe that they should be utilised mainly for the purpose of gaining information on other herds and any outcast bands that may be around." He tilts his head at her suggestion, though. "You raise an intriguing point about allowing them to take back what has been stolen, however. Whilst I doubt that they will ever become a strength of ours, it would be good to know that we have the means to reclaim things that have been taken." There's a glint in his eye as he comes to his own suggestion, something that will allow him to utilise his formidable fighting ability. "Might I also suggest that, should you or I manage to foil a stealth for one of our members, that we challenge the thief and prevent them attempting to steal from us again? It would act as an excellent deterrent to other potential thieves if they know they will be beaten to a pulp should we catch them in their foul act." And Volterra is only too happy to partake in the beating.

All in all, things seem to be going well. They appear to agree on a lot of things and this is a relief - Ampere's experience will be valuable during these difficult times. "We will make it great, I am sure of it. The threat of Kaos hangs heavy above our heads, however....perhaps we should suggest that members of the herd do whatever they can to gain information on him. I personally have visited his Marsh countless times to try and find some weaknesses, but I have come up empty-handed. I confess, though, that observing anything outside the battlefield is not a strength of mine." He gives a somewhat sheepish grin.

V O L T E R R A
I'M LIVING LIKE A LANDMINE WAITING TO EXPLODE
I'M TICKING LIKE A TIME BOMB READY TO GO

drawing: chan <3

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Messages In This Thread
run this town - by Volterra - 02-25-2017, 03:52 PM
RE: run this town - by Ampere - 02-25-2017, 07:56 PM
RE: run this town - by Volterra - 02-26-2017, 11:18 AM
RE: run this town - by Ampere - 02-26-2017, 01:37 PM
RE: run this town - by Volterra - 02-26-2017, 02:15 PM
RE: run this town - by Ampere - 03-08-2017, 12:24 AM
RE: run this town - by Volterra - 03-11-2017, 02:55 PM